This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gaming Keypads

#1datopgamerPosted 11/27/2013 2:27:22 PM
I was looking at getting a gaming keypad to make gaming more comfortable for me but I'm not sure if they are really worth getting. I was looking at the Razer Orbweaver, I know what people are gonna say "lol Razer" but it would match the mouse and keyboard I already have. Right now I see there is a Razer Tartarus for $50 on Newegg on sale but I'm willing to spend $50 more to get a Orbweaver off Amazon. There is also the Logitech G13, but I kinda want the mechanical buttons. Does anyone have any experience with these things and would the wrist rest help any with comfort? Also, how is the overall feel of the device when playing a game? I play pretty much any type of game except RTS and have a controller for racing and fighting games. Thanks for the input.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#2PraetorXynPosted 11/27/2013 3:45:14 PM
It's a waste of money as you have your left hand on a keyboard with about 50 keys around WASD. It's also a Razer product, so odds are it will break on you within a year.

If Razer is claiming the Orbweaver has mechanical keys I'd take that with a grain of salt, as their keyboards are re-branded iOne keyboards, which while mechanical is one of the worst brands you can get for build quality.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#3LootmanPosted 11/27/2013 3:52:18 PM
I got the nostromo

brilliant, works better than keyboard for WoW...
broke in 3 months.

... Get a logitech g13.
---
\(._.)/ Luigi and Tails (Moderator) posted...
._.)/ Lootman wanted a signature and Luigi and Tails told him to go away.
#4datopgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 4:34:48 PM
I can't believe the people who are having issues with Razer products. Have 3 mice, 1 keyboard and some earbuds and they all work even after a year. 1 mouse is about 3 years old and works perfectly. I did look at the logitech one as well but noticed from reviews that the Logitech software makes Synapse not work. This will cause issues with my keyboard and mouse I am using. I am also looking at using this with my laptop and don't feel like lugging a keyboard around and since I use a laptop cooler the laptop is a bit too high to be comfortable when playing a game. I still don't know if I'm even going to buy this though, I might end up getting a 3 - 4 tb hard drive instead.
---
I5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 12 gigs DDR3 memory, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, 2x EVGA GTX 670 4gb SC sli, Seasonic 750w PSU, Monoprice 1440p monitor
#5xanadooPosted 11/27/2013 5:06:03 PM
Logitech G13 is awesome; and in the time I've owned it I've gone through 2 razor nagas and a razer keyboard lol. My next mouse is the Logitech version of the naga then I'm done with razer. I have found the G13 to be MUCH better than the nostromo or the other one I had (can't remember what it was)
#6PraetorXynPosted 11/27/2013 5:53:57 PM
I bought a Razer DeathAdder. The scroll wheel broke after 6 months.
I bought a Razer Mamba. The sensor was terrible, and after a month or so it started acting like it was randomly raising the DPI a lot, but I would check the levels and they'd be the same.
I bought a Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset. It was DOA. I RMA'ed it, and when I got it back the two rear channels wouldn't work, so I only get 5.1.

That was the last Razer product I'll buy.

I've foregone headsets altogether as they sound terrible and purchased an Audio-gd NFB 11.32 DAC/AMP, X-Fi Titanium HD sound card (I use S/PDIF out, and only use the card for CMSS 3D and EAX because my DAC is better), and a pair of AKG K702 65th Anniversary edition headphones.

I've got a Deck Legend backlit mechanical keyboard with Costar stabilizers and Cherry MX Black switches. This is the only backlit keyboard where the lettering and keytop will never rub off.

I've got a Logitech G400S for mouse, and I had a G400 before that which I gave to my mother when her mouse broke.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#7thatfool12GsPosted 11/27/2013 6:48:48 PM(edited)
My Nostromo and Black Widow Ultimate are still working great. I have only had the BWU for a few months though.

Death Adder - supposedly "perfect" sensor these people around here are constantly raving about screwed up in less than a year. It is impossible to draw a straight line with the cursor. The scroll wheel is screwed too. Trash.

Razer Onza #1 - after a month of delicate use, the damn thing would not turn on when plugged in. Took it back to the store.

Razer Onza #2 - less than a month after replacing the first, the dead zone was already ruined and made accurate aiming in FPS impossible. Took it back to the store.

If you have to have a keypad I'd get the Orbweaver because it has more keys, and they are mechanical. I'd say for a bit more might as well get a badass mechanical keyboard instead.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#8BogePosted 11/27/2013 7:16:45 PM
xanadoo posted...
Logitech G13 is awesome; and in the time I've owned it I've gone through 2 razor nagas and a razer keyboard lol. My next mouse is the Logitech version of the naga then I'm done with razer. I have found the G13 to be MUCH better than the nostromo or the other one I had (can't remember what it was)

For games like MMOs that use the 12345 keys, how does the G13 work? How do you use those skills?
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#9datopgamer(Topic Creator)Posted 11/27/2013 10:18:12 PM
Boge posted...
xanadoo posted...

For games like MMOs that use the 12345 keys, how does the G13 work? How do you use those skills?

From what I read you customize the keys the way you want them. Meaning you set the keys to certain keys on the keyboard. Then you make custom profiles to work the way you want them for the particular type of game you are playing such as fps, mmo, rts etc.
---
#10Lady UnePosted 11/27/2013 10:20:51 PM
I can't speak for stand alone gaming pads, but I've been using this for about 5 years now and love it for FPS and MMO games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CP6XiYrrhrsCFcTm7AodiA8Asg&Item=N82E16823239006
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..