This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think Valve wanted to wait to release the fabled "3" games until.....

#1sabermoffPosted 11/28/2013 1:10:02 AM
the Steam Box is released, because they assume that they would help sell the system?

And by "3" games, I mean Half Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Portal 3, etc.
---
Official Nobuo Uematsu of the FFXV board.
#2Sk2k52Posted 11/28/2013 5:56:54 AM
I think they should wait until they have a new engine to run it on. Portal 2 had to modify the source engine greatly to do what it did. Same with Left 4 Dead 2. Really there's nothing else that can be done with the current dated engine besides what could be done in a $10 DLC
---
http://14thlord.blogspot.com/2013/09/7-reasons-wii-u-flopped-at-launch.html
7 Reasons why the Wii U's Launch failed.
#3LootmanPosted 11/28/2013 6:10:47 AM
Portal 3 has to live up to REALLY high expectations.
---
\(._.)/ Luigi and Tails (Moderator) posted...
._.)/ Lootman wanted a signature and Luigi and Tails told him to go away.
#4AlavardPosted 11/28/2013 7:33:30 AM
I think that's unlikely for two reasons.

1) Valve has already said that they do not plan on any SteamOS or Steam Machine exclusive games. Those who do already have gaming PCs are not likely to purchase a Steam Machine just to play one of Valve's next games.

2) The Steam Machines are going to have a wide variety of hardware specs. Not all Steam Machines are going to have the hardware to play all games. Since these are new Valve titles, they're going to require relatively beefy hardware. Not top of the line, obviously, but I doubt that the bottom-end Steam Machines are going to be able to play them.
#5snesmaster40Posted 11/28/2013 7:36:12 AM
Sk2k52 posted...
I think they should wait until they have a new engine to run it on. Portal 2 had to modify the source engine greatly to do what it did. Same with Left 4 Dead 2. Really there's nothing else that can be done with the current dated engine besides what could be done in a $10 DLC

There's been evidence of a Source 2 engine that is currently being worked on by Valve. It seems that the paid version Black Mesa is going to be using a new engine and I think that might be Source 2.
---
Are we not men?
#6SteamsterPosted 11/28/2013 7:55:12 AM
Alavard posted...
I think that's unlikely for two reasons.

1) Valve has already said that they do not plan on any SteamOS or Steam Machine exclusive games. Those who do already have gaming PCs are not likely to purchase a Steam Machine just to play one of Valve's next games.

2) The Steam Machines are going to have a wide variety of hardware specs. Not all Steam Machines are going to have the hardware to play all games. Since these are new Valve titles, they're going to require relatively beefy hardware. Not top of the line, obviously, but I doubt that the bottom-end Steam Machines are going to be able to play them.

I couldn't disagree more.

They don't need to make them exclusive to have some marketing gimmicks like offering Half Life 3 free with every Steam Box and just generally using the software to raise awareness of the hardware.

It's entirely reasonable they'd wait until they could release both a threequel and some hardware at the same time.
#7xanthan1Posted 11/28/2013 7:59:54 AM(edited)
I get the feeling you forgot something important about Valve. They aren't idiots who think making a computer game exclusive to one OS for good reason won't just get people mad at you.

Also they aren't the ones making the Steam Machines, only the OS for them, which is free, making your idea even stupider.
#8RequiemPosted 11/28/2013 8:01:40 AM
To the topic, no.
---
Copyright free literature available at http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page... otherwise known as Tex-Mex
#9SteamsterPosted 11/28/2013 8:04:08 AM
xanthan1 posted...
I get the feeling you forgot something important about Valve. They aren't idiots who think making a computer game exclusive to one OS for good reason won't just get people mad at you.

Also they aren't the ones making the Steam Machines, only the OS for them, which is free, making your idea even stupider.

Again, did the TC mention exclusivity? No.