This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Local wireless storage for backup?

#1sarevokmbPosted 11/28/2013 4:48:53 AM
I'm looking for some kind of storage device that allows me to backup files through WiFi rather than directly plugging it into my computer.

There are some external hard drives that I've seen that use WiFi, but those all require you to upload files through USB, and then let you stream them from WiFi, basically for tablets with low storage.

Is there anything that just works as Google Drive or Dropbox, but doesn't rely on someone else's servers, but instead, a device in my own house?
---
GET YOUR TRIGGER ON! (This is my catch fraise)
#2_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 11/28/2013 7:18:38 AM(edited)
A lot of routers will let you attach an external harddrive through USB. This is very common and not exclusive to higher end models. Though with some brands, it does not work as well as with others. It allows wireless and wired devices to both read and save files on the harddrive. I tend not to use it, since I tend to access them directly from one device to the other. So when I want to watch a series on my tablet for example, I simply stream from my PC.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H