This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone have experience with an Nvidia Shield?

#1Apl_JPosted 11/29/2013 5:24:53 PM
Topic. Its 50 bucks off, and there isn't much else I'm looking for today/this weekend. Before I pull the trigger, I just want to clear up a few things:

-It can play any android game with controller support. I realize it also has a touchscreen, but can you play stuff using that as well?

-You can stream games to the device. This part I'm iffy on; what are the requirements to do this? Can I stream anything, or does a game need controller support, or is there simply a list of titles that work?

-What do I need to run it? I have a 760, an i5 4670k, and 8gb RAM using Windows 8. As a streaming service, I'm sure there can be some latency issues, even in-home. What is your experience with this?

Thanks.
---
RIP GDMag, you made my career a reality. (1994-2013)
Currently Playing: Dragon's Crown, FFXIV, Fire Emblem: Awakening
#2WyzeGyePosted 11/29/2013 5:37:46 PM
i'd buy it if I had a Green team membership card.

the most important thing for streaming is to have a dual band n router. The faster the better. So if your router is lacking, add 125ish to the price for that.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/AEKc-vNv_rU - updated 11/21/2013
#3ThescyyPosted 11/29/2013 5:46:05 PM
As already has been said the main thing you are going to need Is a good dual band n router, you already have everything else that is needed pretty much at this point.
---
i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz | H220 | asrock x79 extreme 9 | 16GB 1600mhz ram | SLI GTX 780 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | 8TB HDDs | EVGA Supernova 1300 G2 | Fractal design R4
#4ChromaticAngelPosted 11/29/2013 5:52:38 PM
Apl_J posted...
-It can play any android game with controller support. I realize it also has a touchscreen, but can you play stuff using that as well?

Yes, it's kind of clunky though since many touchscreen only games assume you can hold the screen in both hands, where as playing with the touchscreen on the shield is awkward cause you need one hand to hold the system up by the controller portion while you touch the screen. it's fine for navigating menus though. The Shield's OS supports controller to touchscreen mapping, though, so you can assign various buttons to emulate taps on various parts of the screen and play almost anything with just the controller.

Apl_J posted...
-You can stream games to the device. This part I'm iffy on; what are the requirements to do this? Can I stream anything, or does a game need controller support, or is there simply a list of titles that work?

You require a GTX 650 or better (NO AMD CARDS) Windows 7 or better, and GeForce Experience installed on your PC are the minimum requirements. it is recommended to have a Dual Band router and to use the 5 GHz network for the shield and the PC hooked up with Ethernet for streaming. With the help of a proxy app, you can also stream games over the internet up to 100 miles away (requires superfast connections on both ends).

Not every game is supported, although a large amount of games that are not supported work perfectly anyway. Some games work with minor glitches, other games have problems like not recognizing the controller or crashes. Some non Steam games are supported as well, I was able to play FFXIV for instance, on the Shield.

Apl_J posted...
-What do I need to run it? I have a 760, an i5 4670k, and 8gb RAM using Windows 8. As a streaming service, I'm sure there can be some latency issues, even in-home. What is your experience with this?

This is kind of the same question as above, but the answer is yes you can run it. There are huge latency issues the farther you get from your router however. You can help turn down the latency issues by playing on a lower resolution, but I would not recommend leaving the room with the router.

I own one and play it a lot so if you have any other questions just ask.
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#5Apl_J(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2013 6:11:03 PM
Thanks guys, that helps a ton! I'll likely order one soon :D
---
RIP GDMag, you made my career a reality. (1994-2013)
Currently Playing: Dragon's Crown, FFXIV, Fire Emblem: Awakening