This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that have good concepts and poor executions

#21thatauthorPosted 11/30/2013 6:32:34 AM(edited)
Legendary is a prime example of it. if they put more effort into it(not that they didn't), they could have an awesome game. The idea of legendary creatures appearing in a modern setting is a great idea if pulled off properly.

another game is Bulletwitch. I would keep characters and setting, but I would have changed it to an open world RPG with a more fleshed out world; specifically the enemies, spells, and the weapon system(though the weapons system was probably the best of the three). I would also add more stuff to do in the world, add a quest system (especially a side quest part) and have Alicia be able to fly on her broom. I would also like to see a better city as it seemed too modern instead of futuristic(even if it was set in 2013). I mean even Strange Days was scifi and it was set 4 years in the future. if it was released for PC, it could have some great mods especially if it was AAA.
---
We should blame Nixon. RIger
#22Treason686Posted 11/30/2013 6:43:14 AM
Kevin_OS posted...
Mirrors Edge. Cool idea but free running felt slow and lacked momentum.

I thought that game was amazing. Fingers crossed for a sequel.

thatauthor posted...
Legendary is a prime example of it. if they put more effort into it(not that they didn't), they could have an awesome game. The idea of legendary creatures appearing in a modern setting is a great idea if pulled off properly.

Yes times a million. What a piece of junk that game was. I didn't realize they were the same devs that made Turning Point: Fall of Liberty until after I rented it. The guy at Blockbuster actually warned me and told me it was garbage, but the concept was too cool.

By the way, can I add something else to this list that's not out yet? From the Turning Point and Legendary developers, who, for some reason, haven't gone out of business:

In Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, players will battle fierce zombies as Yaiba, a cyborg ninja who will do anything to get revenge and stay alive. Cleaved in two, he is brought back to life with cyber-technology. Brandishing his ninja sword and the mecha weapons in his cyborg arm, he slaughters zombies with brutal, over-the-top abandon.

Maybe that's not a good concept...

Back on topic:

Alpha Protocol.

I saw all the cool gameplay mechanics, the stealth options, skill points, dialog trees, etc. I read about it, and everything sounded fantastic. Bought it, got through the tutorial and went on the first mission. Hiding behind a wall, and a patrolling guard sees me. So much for stealth. I tried several more times with similar results. Got pissed, uninstalled it, and never played again.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#23JockoPosted 11/30/2013 6:51:06 AM
Kevin_OS posted...
Mirrors Edge. Cool idea but free running felt slow and lacked momentum.

Huh?? Physics wise I thought it was great. Are you talking about story wise?
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#24AnnihilatedPosted 11/30/2013 7:05:48 AM
Alan Wake. It had the potential to be a great horror/thriller game, but the combat was ruined by constantly interrupting the gameplay to zoom out every time an enemy spawns and show you exactly where all of them are. They also run way too fast so you have no choice but to stick around and fight them off. A much better experience would have been to have the enemies be slower, but also more stealthy so you would be paranoid with your flashlight in the dark to see if anyone is stalking you.

Also, the fact that Alan Wake is supposed to be a writer is laughable. His narration and the excerpts on his manuscript pages are boring, basic writing fit for a middle schooler in creative writing. "He looked wrong." "She sounded wrong somehow." "Something felt wrong." "Her eyes looked wrong." They really couldn't come up with ANY words for him to use in his stories to make them sound like an actual book? Which brings me to the manuscript pages. You read them and they basically just tell you what's going to happen five minutes from now, and not in any fun or cryptic way. Say for example you read one and it's talking about Alan's encounter with "a beastly armored foe that ripped through cabins and snapped pine trees with treads each wider than a Volvo," something that's taken out of the context of a novel and you have to figure out what the events are that it's referring to. But instead Alan just says "suddenly I had to fight a bulldozer." And I'm like oh, thanks I guess. It's just so depressing how little they tried to make him a writer, that I just had no interest in the story.
#25LordSeiferPosted 11/30/2013 7:17:22 AM
Daz_man123 posted...
Spore?

Such a disappointment...

---
^ this
#26thatauthorPosted 11/30/2013 7:39:02 AM
Yes times a million. What a piece of junk that game was. I didn't realize they were the same devs that made Turning Point: Fall of Liberty until after I rented it. The guy at Blockbuster actually warned me and told me it was garbage, but the concept was too cool.

they were made by the same devs? huh. I liked both games, though both weren't without their problems. Turning Point was another game that had a great premise though. What if the Germans had won? the world would be so different today if they had. I also loved the ending.

Alpha Protocol.

great game. the only thing that I saw wrong with it was one bug, though it could have been me because the xbox guide opened at one point(I could have hit the button to do it)
---
What are dreams but your subconscious' bad fanfics? ~ TMK
#27Orestes417Posted 11/30/2013 7:47:21 AM
Omikron Nomad Soul. I think they probably did the best they could with the tech they had but it could be so much more today. Too Human is another one of those games that could've been special.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#28TowerBooks3192Posted 11/30/2013 8:03:26 AM
LordSeifer posted...
Daz_man123 posted...
Spore?

Such a disappointment...

I will third this! very very very interesting concept indeed!

My vote would be on towns. I was hoping they would really expand and improve it. They said gnomoria is better than towns but I haven't tried my copy of gnomoria yet.
---
AC new leaf FC: 1547-5212-4948. Name: Miiguel Town name: Tower