This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good strategy games?

#1locky723Posted 11/29/2013 6:50:08 PM
I wanna try some a strategy game. Something big like, as an example, Civilization 5.

Some ones i'm currently looking at are:
Sins of a solar empire: Rebellion (i think thats the main game)
Civilization 5
Endless space
Starforge Alhpa

Thoughts? Recomendations?
#2Spidey555Posted 11/29/2013 6:56:28 PM
Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes is really good
Warlock is exactly like Civ 5 but fantasy themed
---
360 GT: FiendishFiend
Steam: Spidey555
#3LordOfLegaciesPosted 11/29/2013 6:57:23 PM
I wouldn't call Starforge a strategy game, it's a building sandbox.

Anyway, Sins of a Solar Empire is a good choice. Rebellion isn't the main game it's just the latest expansion.
Civilization 5 is fun and addicting.
Supreme Commander 1 and 2 are both huge in scale.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#4locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2013 7:02:16 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
I wouldn't call Starforge a strategy game, it's a building sandbox.

Anyway, Sins of a Solar Empire is a good choice. Rebellion isn't the main game it's just the latest expansion.
Civilization 5 is fun and addicting.
Supreme Commander 1 and 2 are both huge in scale.

Sorry, i don't know much on these topics. Just noticed it and thought it looked pretty fun. Wait... Whats the main game of sins of a solar empire then? Also, the big question i have is are these good for single player? I'd love to play online... But i don't wanna get something thats focused on multiplayer completely.
#5talisiosPosted 11/29/2013 7:07:23 PM
For Sins of a Solar Empire, Rebellion is a stand alone expansion, so you don't need to buy anything else; just buying Rebellion will give you access to all of the content, regardless of whether you own the older versions or not.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop that." - Arthur Dent
#6locky723(Topic Creator)Posted 11/29/2013 7:10:12 PM
talisios posted...
For Sins of a Solar Empire, Rebellion is a stand alone expansion, so you don't need to buy anything else; just buying Rebellion will give you access to all of the content, regardless of whether you own the older versions or not.

Would you say, as a first timer to basically all RTS/Strategy/Whatever genre this is (so many terms X.X) I could get into it? Or will it be too much?
#7LordOfLegaciesPosted 11/29/2013 7:15:52 PM
You control the scale when you're setting up a game, so just start small to get the hang of it.

If you're new to RTS games though, I recommend you start with Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#8Dukaduka1k82Posted 11/30/2013 1:46:15 AM
Civ 5 is awesome. If you can get the expansions also.
Warlock is also a great game imo. It is similar to Civ 5 but is more combat orientated.
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm
#9ElDudorinoPosted 11/30/2013 6:18:44 AM
I think the base game of Civ 5 is kinda mediocre, but people have assured me that the expansions make it much better. Just by the base game, most people I've spoken to seem to agree with me that Civ 4 is far better.

If you don't mind going older, Alpha Centauri is also a really solid Civ game.
#10dekouPosted 11/30/2013 6:42:04 AM
Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Civilization 5 are good choices, although I'm not sure if anyone plays Dawn of War online anymore. They're both quite complex and easy to learn. Age of Wonders 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3&5 are my personal favorites, but they're quite old.

Another good choice is the Total War series, of which I'd recommend Shogun 2. Rome 2 is supposedly not as good, although I haven't played it personally. Total War is more focused on combat and has a rather simple global strategy system, which is something many (who aren't me) like.