This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could I just throw a better GPU in my PC and play games?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Could I just throw a better GPU in my PC and play games?
3 years ago#21
Also never forget adout RAM, usually people neglect it, considering it a minor thing, but eventually it will bring the whole system up
risenfallrec.blogspot.com
3 years ago#22
Boge posted...
Storrac posted...
Delta_F14 posted...
What kind of GPU do you have in mind?

I just want a GPU that I'll be able to play the Elder Scrolls Anthology on (I could probably play up to Oblivion, but I want to play Skyrim and all of it's modalicious goodness)

I'm not looking to get SUPER into PC gaming, but I would like to play some of the games I already own on at least high settings (Witcher series, Skyrim once I get the Anthology, whatever steam sales bring me)

It is unlikely I will EVER play next-generation games on my PC so I don't want anything too powerful, just current gen high level.

If you could, why wouldn't you?

Because for one, I don't think I would be able to get there with my budget (which is like $200-$250), especially since a lot of next gen games need crazy things like eight cores and 6gb of ram and such and I'm only in the market for a GPU (and now a PSU I guess) , and I have a Playstation 4 so there is really no need for a gaming pc just yet.
3 years ago#23
yep, thats what I do, eventually processor power and ram etc. will be an issue but gpu usually goes a long way
3 years ago#24
Storrac posted...
Delta_F14 posted...
What kind of GPU do you have in mind?

I just want a GPU that I'll be able to play the Elder Scrolls Anthology on (I could probably play up to Oblivion, but I want to play Skyrim and all of it's modalicious goodness)

I'm not looking to get SUPER into PC gaming, but I would like to play some of the games I already own on at least high settings (Witcher series, Skyrim once I get the Anthology, whatever steam sales bring me)

It is unlikely I will EVER play next-generation games on my PC so I don't want anything too powerful, just current gen high level.

Oblivion and Skyrim are pretty CPU bound, and your 840 is a mislabeled Athlon II. May or may not have good results with it, as it wasn't very good at the time of release, and was more just a cheap marketing gimmick.

That said, you could probably toss a 7770 or 7850 in there and still hold up well through "next gen". Next gen consoles really aren't special; the 8-core thing is more a way to manage heat output, and the amount of RAM, well... That's cheap and easy to upgrade.

As for recommendations, I'd suggest a CX430 or CX500 and a HD7850. That should be within your $200 budget, and will do the job just fine.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
3 years ago#25
it's not that bad for a prebuild honestly, it trumps these horrible crappy "e-series" amd apu's currently being sold for sure...

get a new power supply like a corsair builder 430w-500w and it depends if you want super fancy graphics and 1080p,etc. what's your monitor resolution anyway?

Either HD7770, 7790 or if your monitor is low res the 7750
"Human history is a litany of blood, shed over ideals of rulership and afterlife."-Legion
3 years ago#26
JrTapia1991 posted...
what's your monitor resolution anyway?

1600 x 900
3 years ago#27
If you can catch a 7850 for a good price (I'm thinking like in the $120-$150 range) then that will probably do you really well. It's a pretty decent mid tier card. I'm playing BF4 on it at 1080p with a mix of high and medium settings and getting 40-70FPS.
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
3 years ago#28
KabtheMentat posted...
If you can catch a 7850 for a good price (I'm thinking like in the $120-$150 range) then that will probably do you really well. It's a pretty decent mid tier card. I'm playing BF4 on it at 1080p with a mix of high and medium settings and getting 40-70FPS.

sounds like I'll probably get that, especially since today is cyber monday and all.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Could I just throw a better GPU in my PC and play games?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived