This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could I just throw a better GPU in my PC and play games?

#21RisenFallRecPosted 11/30/2013 2:51:09 PM
Also never forget adout RAM, usually people neglect it, considering it a minor thing, but eventually it will bring the whole system up
---
risenfallrec.blogspot.com
#22Storrac(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2013 4:40:32 PM
Boge posted...
Storrac posted...
Delta_F14 posted...
What kind of GPU do you have in mind?

I just want a GPU that I'll be able to play the Elder Scrolls Anthology on (I could probably play up to Oblivion, but I want to play Skyrim and all of it's modalicious goodness)

I'm not looking to get SUPER into PC gaming, but I would like to play some of the games I already own on at least high settings (Witcher series, Skyrim once I get the Anthology, whatever steam sales bring me)

It is unlikely I will EVER play next-generation games on my PC so I don't want anything too powerful, just current gen high level.

If you could, why wouldn't you?

Because for one, I don't think I would be able to get there with my budget (which is like $200-$250), especially since a lot of next gen games need crazy things like eight cores and 6gb of ram and such and I'm only in the market for a GPU (and now a PSU I guess) , and I have a Playstation 4 so there is really no need for a gaming pc just yet.
#23singhellotakuPosted 11/30/2013 4:45:52 PM
yep, thats what I do, eventually processor power and ram etc. will be an issue but gpu usually goes a long way
#24DarkZV2BetaPosted 11/30/2013 4:56:50 PM(edited)
Storrac posted...
Delta_F14 posted...
What kind of GPU do you have in mind?

I just want a GPU that I'll be able to play the Elder Scrolls Anthology on (I could probably play up to Oblivion, but I want to play Skyrim and all of it's modalicious goodness)

I'm not looking to get SUPER into PC gaming, but I would like to play some of the games I already own on at least high settings (Witcher series, Skyrim once I get the Anthology, whatever steam sales bring me)

It is unlikely I will EVER play next-generation games on my PC so I don't want anything too powerful, just current gen high level.

Oblivion and Skyrim are pretty CPU bound, and your 840 is a mislabeled Athlon II. May or may not have good results with it, as it wasn't very good at the time of release, and was more just a cheap marketing gimmick.

That said, you could probably toss a 7770 or 7850 in there and still hold up well through "next gen". Next gen consoles really aren't special; the 8-core thing is more a way to manage heat output, and the amount of RAM, well... That's cheap and easy to upgrade.

As for recommendations, I'd suggest a CX430 or CX500 and a HD7850. That should be within your $200 budget, and will do the job just fine.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#25JrTapia1991Posted 11/30/2013 4:58:45 PM
it's not that bad for a prebuild honestly, it trumps these horrible crappy "e-series" amd apu's currently being sold for sure...

get a new power supply like a corsair builder 430w-500w and it depends if you want super fancy graphics and 1080p,etc. what's your monitor resolution anyway?

Either HD7770, 7790 or if your monitor is low res the 7750
---
"Human history is a litany of blood, shed over ideals of rulership and afterlife."-Legion
#26Storrac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 3:08:12 AM
JrTapia1991 posted...
what's your monitor resolution anyway?

1600 x 900
#27KabtheMentatPosted 12/1/2013 4:25:52 AM(edited)
If you can catch a 7850 for a good price (I'm thinking like in the $120-$150 range) then that will probably do you really well. It's a pretty decent mid tier card. I'm playing BF4 on it at 1080p with a mix of high and medium settings and getting 40-70FPS.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#28Storrac(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 7:26:36 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
If you can catch a 7850 for a good price (I'm thinking like in the $120-$150 range) then that will probably do you really well. It's a pretty decent mid tier card. I'm playing BF4 on it at 1080p with a mix of high and medium settings and getting 40-70FPS.

sounds like I'll probably get that, especially since today is cyber monday and all.