This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Strange mouse and keyboard problem.

#1Rotcod_WhatPosted 11/30/2013 6:53:55 AM
A couple of evenings ago I noticed that my mouse started lagging and stuttering, and when I tried typing I would get missed letters and double letters.

The problem got steadily worse and eventually both froze entirely.

In the meantime I managed to get online and look up the issue with a bunch of fixes suggested (updating drivers, making sure MSConfig listed the correct number of CPU cores, switching off and on again, and a load of really common-sense stuff that I had already tried), none of which worked.

The problem persisted, even in safe mode. Restarting reset the problem, which would happen over again starting with no issues, then appearing and gradually getting worse until I had to shut it down to avoid not being able to. While in safe mode I ran a full Malwarebytes scan which found nothing.

Both devices are wireless, with fresh batteries. I haven't recently installed any new hardware or software other than Windows and Firefox updates.

I don't know what to do. My PC has no other problems.

Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, SP 1.
Intel Core i3 540 @ 3.07Ghz 3.08 GHz
4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5570
---
Now they face an even greater danger...
Tyrannosaurs in F-14s!!
#2emmecePosted 11/30/2013 9:22:52 AM
Try plug different mouse and keys into the current PC and use the wireless ones on a different pc.
#3Rotcod_What(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2013 9:32:28 AM
Same problem no matter what kb and mouse I use. Wired or wireless. All work fine in my PS3. (don't have another PC to test on).
---
Tyrannosaurs in F-14s!!
#4Dukaduka1k82Posted 11/30/2013 6:18:04 PM
usb or ps/2 connection (whatever you use) may be going bad. Try updating driver is usb or if you use ps/2 try using a usb keyboard/mouse.
---
Asus i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz, 16gig ram, Nvidia 660m 2Gb, 1Tb hdd @ 7200rpm
#5Rotcod_What(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 7:13:07 AM
It's USB. All my drivers are up to date.

I tried a system restore, which at first seemed to fix it, but then it came back, although it took much longer to do so. I didn't change any settings or re-install anything after I did the restore.
---
Tyrannosaurs in F-14s!!
#6Rolen47Posted 12/2/2013 8:11:59 AM(edited)
In Power Options in your Control Panel try checking your current power plan and try changing anything related to USB. It could be switching your USB ports to low-power mode as time goes on. If messing with the power options doesn't do anything see if there's a BIOS update for your motherboard.
#7Rotcod_What(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 12:52:09 PM
Do you mean the option "USB Selective Suspend"?

I just disabled it, although have no idea what it does when enabled. Didn't see any other specific USB options.

The idea of updating the BIOS scares the bejeezus out of me, as I have never attempted to do so before, and I know how easy it would be to screw it up. I'd only look into it as a last resort.
---
Tyrannosaurs in F-14s!!