This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Terrible sales..

#61DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/1/2013 5:35:08 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
This devaluation of games and demands for huge discounts is going to do more to hurt the industry

Except it's the exact opposite. There are plenty of articles from game developers talking about how they make more profit on steam sale days then they do on the launch day for the game, it doesn't matter if they make less per person when they sell 25 times more

There is a balance to be had though. I agree with you but either extreme is going to be bad for the industry. If the ridiculous 90% sales become normal for games released only 6 months ago, I am not sure the developers would be making more money than a slow staggered reduction... Of course by slow I only mean a year to two years.

Valve likes to propose certain numbers and see what happens... I'm sure there is a fairly nice simple formula that ends up with the most saturation at each sale level. All I know is that the digital freedom we have that makes this possible is the best thing to happen to pc gaming.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#62CilymPosted 12/1/2013 6:13:30 PM
El_Kaz posted...
SkeIeton posted...
games were 90% off left and right, but I haven't seen a 90% off big name game on Steam in a long time.

That's only because the regular price of games get permanent cuts now, which rarely (never?) happened several years ago.
Take Witcher 2; it initially retailed at $50. So at the current $5, it IS 90% discounted from the initial price... only it got permanent price cuts to $20, so the marked discount is "only" 75%.
Same thing can be said for many big games currently on sale (Batman AC, Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite...). The discounts relative to the initial price is HUGE, but the price cuts make them seem smaller.

My Steam account is 9 years old; I've been through every single sale/event, and really the only things that changed is that A)Steam now has much more competition than before, which makes the sales less special/unique, and B)I, like many people, buy games I want to play at a higher rate than these game come out, which makes for an always decreasing wish list and less purchases at each Steam sale event.

Everyone is ignoring the best post in this topic.
---
i called myself uberhipster before, try harder. - Ningishzida
You a straight up buster TC (Super_Thug44).- KidInTheHall
#63kokushishinPosted 12/2/2013 10:37:01 AM
Knighted Dragon posted...
This devaluation of games and demands for huge discounts is going to do more to hurt the industry

Except it's the exact opposite. There are plenty of articles from game developers talking about how they make more profit on steam sale days then they do on the launch day for the game, it doesn't matter if they make less per person when they sell 25 times more

Up to a certain point. There's also the problem of it being a feedback loop-- obviously if you know you can get the game for cheap soon there is far less reason to buy Day 1.
---
Meet Gabriel Belmont and his Vampire Killer!
#64shdwdrgnixPosted 12/2/2013 12:39:25 PM
Zohar_Metatron posted...
This devaluation of games and demands for huge discounts is going to do more to hurt the industry then another decade of microtransactions and me-too CoD knockoffs ever will.

Anyway my only real issue with the sale is that most of the stuff I'm after is obscure **** that won't make it to the main sales pages, so I'm basically not buying anything until the last day because I keep hoping Bunny Must Die or whatever's going to get a daily/flash deal even though I know damn well it ain't.

Would've been nice if Pinball Arcade was on there, but that came out on PC finally like three weeks ago so I get why it's not.

Bunny Must Die is 50% off, though I don't know if it will hit 75% in the few flash deals that are left.
#65TaitaoPosted 12/2/2013 12:44:56 PM
Just grabbed Tomb raider 80% off with Dlc collection!
This and Far cry 3 deluxe 80% too are the best sales this autumn for me!
---
Ashin Wirathu my hero!
#66ManonmarZPosted 12/4/2013 7:46:50 PM
Bought Skyrim, Bualdar Gate, Civilization III and Audiosurf

So I'm happy

Now how about you
#67Last Grand MageX2Posted 12/4/2013 8:45:54 PM
electroflame posted...
I've seen better price cuts on winter / summer sales. We must have done something wrong. Pre-order Steambox dammit!

The Fall/Autumn sale always pales in comparison to the Summer and Winter sales.

It's kind of like a little snack between lunch and dinner -- just enough to tide you over until the next major meal.

Spring sale too.
---
I try, but not very hard, product of my generation-snoochtonooch
#68ArkonBladePosted 12/4/2013 9:46:36 PM
I didn't think they were that bad got some good games for 75% off or more. got my steam game collection to over 100 and I have really only been on steam for 3 months maybe. Have most of the games I wanted now. So what ever is left I will try and get on the winter sale.
---
SRPG games...i just love them!
PSN - ArkonBlade XBL - The Wolf Shadow STEAM - ArkonBlade