This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Issue with some old games on GOG/Steam.

#1-CJF-Posted 12/1/2013 4:39:37 AM
I'm having an issue with several older games on Steam where the title bar and window border flickers while in full screen. This issue happens with some older games but not all of them. For example, Tomb Raider III works fine but Tomb Raider II and 4 both have the problem. Likewise, Blood Omen 2 and Legacy of Kain: Defiance work perfectly while Soul Reaver and Soul Reaver 2 both have issues.

I've managed to somewhat fix the flickering in some games by checking "Disable Display Scaling," "Disable Visual Themes," and "Run as Administrator" but I still have some problems. For example, in Soul Reaver 1 and 2 the game flickers and you can see the desktop and window border for a few seconds before and after loading every FMV.

I'm usually able to fix issues like this with Google, but I've spent hours trying every fix I can find without any results. Anyone have similar issues and manage to find a fix?

Btw this happens on both of my Windows 7 x64 machines. One is a newer rig with a dedicated graphics card and the other has a GeForce 9200 integrated. Both are Nvidia.

Things I've tried:

- Compatibility mode.
- Updating drivers.
- Beta drivers.
- Using Nvidia Inspector to set Buffer-flipping mode to OGL_FORCE_BLIT_ON.
- Disabling / Enabling Vsync, Triple Buffering, Anti Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering in game and in the Nvidia Settings.

Thanks in advance.
#2Benjamin_ButtonPosted 12/1/2013 4:49:33 AM
use older drivers like 314.22
---
http://i.imgur.com/KNzJR.gif
Macbook Pro Retina i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz | Nvidia 650m 1GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR3L Ram | 750GB Flash Storage
#3lostnumberwarPosted 12/1/2013 4:58:58 AM(edited)
Try
Disable desktop composition
Disable Visual Themes
Disable Display Scaling on high DPI settings
Some games I have played required this to display correctly.
---
Spacewhizguy is one of the most generous and kind posters on Gamefaqs. All hail Spacewhizguy.
#4-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 5:11:37 AM
lostnumberwar posted...
Try
Disable Visual Themes

I've already tried that. It helped a bit with the flickering but the problem persists. I have also tried old drivers, although not that specific version. The computer with the Geforce 9200 was using drivers from 2010. I only just updated them today when trying to fix the issue since I almost never game on that computer.
#5lostnumberwarPosted 12/1/2013 5:16:21 AM
-CJF- posted...
lostnumberwar posted...
Try
Disable Visual Themes

I've already tried that. It helped a bit with the flickering but the problem persists. I have also tried old drivers, although not that specific version. The computer with the Geforce 9200 was using drivers from 2010. I only just updated them today when trying to fix the issue since I almost never game on that computer.

Have You tried installing Physx legacy drivers. They are for older games.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9.12.1031-legacy-driver.html
---
Spacewhizguy is one of the most generous and kind posters on Gamefaqs. All hail Spacewhizguy.
#6-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 5:23:00 AM
I just tried it and no change. :(
#7lostnumberwarPosted 12/1/2013 5:23:50 AM
-CJF- posted...
I just tried it and no change. :(

Sorry I couldn't help.
---
#8-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 5:34:35 AM
No problem, thank you for your time anyway!
#9-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 6:20:24 AM
A few other things I've tried:

- Disabling DEP for the game.
- Closing any unused programs and services.
- Disabling Nvidia display scaling in the Nvidia settings. (I normally use this to keep aspect ratio).
#10-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 8:24:14 AM
I'm thinking this might be a problem with the games themselves and their compatibility with modern operating systems. Does anybody who has Windows 7 or better and owns these games not have this issue?