This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To ghetto Cool a GTX 780 Ti, or not to?

#1Road_Kill_666Posted 12/1/2013 12:45:26 PM
I was going to go "as is" for my GTX 780 Ti build as i don't wish to go full on watercooled till the end of 2014. What does anyone think of me getting that arctic accellero cooler thingy? Its not really full on water cooling but you add it on to your videocard. HAs anyone ever used one of these or would you say do air till ready to do full on real water cooling?

Any advice or opions welcomed good or bad, nice or not. Just trying to fine tune the perfect build for Jan 1st.
#2WyzeGyePosted 12/1/2013 12:48:33 PM
if you have the cash to spend on a cooler for a video card that already comes with a cooler, go for it.

I don't see why you don't just loop it up to begin with though.

you're looking at 100+ for a waterblock, on top of whatever the arctic cooler will cost you. Seems like a wasteful use of your money. But If you wanna do it that way, go for it.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/AEKc-vNv_rU - updated 11/21/2013
#3Road_Kill_666(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 12:58:29 PM
WyzeGye posted...
if you have the cash to spend on a cooler for a video card that already comes with a cooler, go for it.

I don't see why you don't just loop it up to begin with though.

you're looking at 100+ for a waterblock, on top of whatever the arctic cooler will cost you. Seems like a wasteful use of your money. But If you wanna do it that way, go for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if i decided to full on cool the rig i need a cpu water block, gtx 780 Ti water block, resivior, rad, pump, fitting and tubing correct? I didn't want to do full on water cooling of the GPU without doing the cpu so i thought the eccellero hybrid thing is like a h100i for gpu's right?
#4PhilOnDezPosted 12/1/2013 1:02:23 PM(edited)
The arctic cooler is basically an AIO cooler for graphics cards like you might buy for a CPU. If it was cheaper I'd say go for it but $120 is a lot to spend on something you plan on replacing imo. I don't know which 780ti you bought (or even if there's custom models available yet) but it's not like the stock cooler is garbage, sure it could be better but people have hit 40% or better OCs on 780s with it. It'd be another thing if you were talking about a 290x.

E: I haven't looked at numbers on it but I did run across it looking at aftermarket coolers for a 290, it's closer to an H80 than an H100i, it's just a single 120mm rad, not a dual.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5Road_Kill_666(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 1:14:25 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
The arctic cooler is basically an AIO cooler for graphics cards like you might buy for a CPU. If it was cheaper I'd say go for it but $120 is a lot to spend on something you plan on replacing imo. I don't know which 780ti you bought (or even if there's custom models available yet) but it's not like the stock cooler is garbage, sure it could be better but people have hit 40% or better OCs on 780s with it. It'd be another thing if you were talking about a 290x.

I see what you're saying. No, i haven't bought anything yet, still fine tuning the list for the build. Not buying anything till Jan 1st. The only thing that will make me put off the build is a cofirmed date on the GTX790. I plan on getting a H100i to cool a 4770k. Not sure on the case but top choice is the NZXT H630.
#6WyzeGyePosted 12/1/2013 1:23:38 PM
So... you're planning on buying 2 AIO liquid coolers that you're also planning to replace down the line? Why not spend the extra to get the whole loop?

Yes, you'll need a CPU block, GPU block, reservoir, radiator, pump, hose, and fittings. The CPU and GPU blocks can be had for around the same cost as the AIO solutions you're considering. the additional stuff will run you around 200 bucks, possibly more depending on your choices.
---
#7Road_Kill_666(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 4:16:26 PM
WyzeGye posted...
So... you're planning on buying 2 AIO liquid coolers that you're also planning to replace down the line? Why not spend the extra to get the whole loop?

Yes, you'll need a CPU block, GPU block, reservoir, radiator, pump, hose, and fittings. The CPU and GPU blocks can be had for around the same cost as the AIO solutions you're considering. the additional stuff will run you around 200 bucks, possibly more depending on your choices.

$200? thats it? OK i may need to rethink all of this. Are there any watercooling build guides that you know of for 2013? I have no clue how to choose the right parts for watercooling ie: rad side, rad density, rad fans, copper nickel plexi such and such. Can a triple rad cool a 4770k and a 780Ti or do i need a quad? Those are the kind of things i don't know how to calculate when looking at how much power my two items have and how much cooling i need for them.

build on paper:
CASE - NZXY H630 - $150
CPU- i7 4770K - $290
MOBO - Asus Z87 Pro - $200
RAM - G. ill 15GB(2x8GB)1600 - $110
GPU - EVGa GTX 780Ti - $740
OS HD - Samsung Evo 2SSD - $160
COOLER - Corsair h100i - $105
PSU - Corsair RM Series 750W - $130
STORAGE - WD 4TB (4) -$800
OS - Windows 8.1 - $120

Total: $2805
#8wildog2006Posted 12/1/2013 5:17:54 PM
http://store.nzxt.com/NZXT-KRAKEN-G10-GPU-BRACKET-p/rl-krg10.htm

BAM, sounds like exactly what you're looking for
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#9WyzeGyePosted 12/1/2013 5:39:22 PM
A triple rad will do just fine for the 2 components. Usually people recommend 120mm per processor, so triple will be fine.

as far as the fans go, Get noctua high cfm fans, preferably in push pull, barring that, pull.
Metals don't matter so much, just make sure you don't mix metals.
---
#10DarkZV2BetaPosted 12/1/2013 11:17:30 PM
Road_Kill_666 posted...
WyzeGye posted...

$200? thats it? OK i may need to rethink all of this. Are there any watercooling build guides that you know of for 2013? I have no clue how to choose the right parts for watercooling ie: rad side, rad density, rad fans, copper nickel plexi such and such. Can a triple rad cool a 4770k and a 780Ti or do i need a quad? Those are the kind of things i don't know how to calculate when looking at how much power my two items have and how much cooling i need for them.

build on paper:
CASE - NZXY H630 - $150
CPU- i7 4770K - $290
MOBO - Asus Z87 Pro - $200
RAM - G. ill 15GB(2x8GB)1600 - $110
GPU - EVGa GTX 780Ti - $740
OS HD - Samsung Evo 2SSD - $160
COOLER - Corsair h100i - $105
PSU - Corsair RM Series 750W - $130
STORAGE - WD 4TB (4) -$800
OS - Windows 8.1 - $120

Total: $2805