This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing OS on new SSD without losing old HDD data?

#1SleepComaPosted 12/1/2013 4:19:25 PM
I have a WDC Black 1TB-HDD and my 2tb-hdd and 240 SSD just got here.

How do I install Win7 but keep my data?

Thank you.
---
Duck Butter
#2juscallmeehxPosted 12/1/2013 4:29:51 PM
Install the OS on the new SSD and slave your other two hard drives.
---
PSN, XBL & Steam: juscallmeehx
i5-4670k CPU @ 3.7GHz OC | 2x8GB RAM | Evga GTX 560 ti | 2x128GB SSD & 1TB HD
#3SleepComa(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 4:32:37 PM
juscallmeehx posted...
Install the OS on the new SSD and slave your other two hard drives.

How do I slave them?
---
Duck Butter
#4ShubPosted 12/1/2013 4:39:12 PM
The best thing you can do is to physically disconnect the two hard drives, install the SSD, install Windows, then once you're all up and running, reconnect the two hard drives. They will appear as secondary drives in Windows.
One thing that may trip you is your hard drive priority setting in the BIOS. If your BIOS sees your old hard drive is back and gives it back its old priority (superseding the new SSD), your computer may attempt to boot to the old HDD instead of SSD. In order to avoid that, once you have the HDD(s) reinstalled, go into the BIOS right away and check the hard drive priority setting (which is usually separate from the boot device order) and make sure the SSD is first.

Once in Windows, if the drives don't appear, just do Start | Run | diskmgmt.msc and see if they have to be reactivated there.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5cuteboi100Posted 12/1/2013 5:12:37 PM
Then remember to delete the old windows partition on your old HDD.
---
Xbox Live GT:ScaryPillow , iHaruyuki TERA:
LoL : ScaryPillow Maplestory: MLGLordly 16x I/L Arch Mage
#6Crimson_JesusPosted 12/1/2013 5:47:33 PM
Shub posted...
The best thing you can do is to physically disconnect the two hard drives, install the SSD, install Windows, then once you're all up and running, reconnect the two hard drives. They will appear as secondary drives in Windows.
One thing that may trip you is your hard drive priority setting in the BIOS. If your BIOS sees your old hard drive is back and gives it back its old priority (superseding the new SSD), your computer may attempt to boot to the old HDD instead of SSD. In order to avoid that, once you have the HDD(s) reinstalled, go into the BIOS right away and check the hard drive priority setting (which is usually separate from the boot device order) and make sure the SSD is first.

Once in Windows, if the drives don't appear, just do Start | Run | diskmgmt.msc and see if they have to be reactivated there.

this is what i did, was a pain in the butt to take ownership of my old drives though
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg