This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Video game censorship

#1FeatherwindPosted 12/1/2013 6:26:32 PM
Currently video games are censored to some extent. Access to games that are deemed violent, sexual, have bad language etc. is restricted based on age.

This censorship is also very widespread. From the official ESRB site:
Are all games and apps required to have a rating?

The rating system is voluntary, although virtually all video games that are sold at retail in the U.S. and Canada are rated by the ESRB. Many U.S. retailers, including most major chains, have policies to only stock or sell games that carry an ESRB rating, and console manufacturers require games that are published on their systems in the U.S. and Canada to be rated by ESRB.

Is this useful? Why exactly is it important and acceptable to try to prevent minors from accessing these games?
---
pathological
#2kingjosh1876Posted 12/1/2013 6:34:49 PM
Featherwind posted...
Is this useful? Why exactly is it important and acceptable to try to prevent minors from accessing these games?

People generally believe that young children being exposed to violent/sexual etc media can cause them to be negatively affected by it, perhaps altering their development or their mind's when they are older.

What do I think? People take this too far and the way people try to blame media for killings and crimes are ignorant and do not consider other things.
#3akuma634Posted 12/1/2013 6:36:57 PM
It's not too different from the MPAA, a big advantage for games is that the ESRB has regular people viewing the content and voting on a rating while the MPAA is a Hollywood institution with people who have full careers rating movies and have a long history of screwing independents for having the gall to work outside of the system. With gaming you can totally make an unrated game and sell it on Steam, Humble Store, your own website, and so on. With movies you're pretty much left with selling it off your website if a major Hollywood studio isn't going to distribute it because they see money in a small investment. It's censor yourself for the R or M rating or good luck using word of mouth for internet sales. But at least the ESRB doesn't have an industry bias so indies get a fair shot with the ratings too.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
http://i.imgur.com/gKc40ul.jpg?1
#4NingishzidaPosted 12/1/2013 6:36:58 PM
soccer mom's blame videogames for their hellspawn's bad behavior, but the truth is they're just bad parents and should have never reproduced.
#5kingjosh1876Posted 12/1/2013 6:37:48 PM
I watched a lot of violent movies and such when I was younger and have not been affected I do not believe, but also I have Aspergers Syndrome so perhaps I am less likely to.
#6akuma634Posted 12/1/2013 6:39:40 PM
kingjosh1876 posted...
Featherwind posted...

People generally believe that young children being exposed to violent/sexual etc media can cause them to be negatively affected by it, perhaps altering their development or their mind's when they are older.

What do I think? People take this too far and the way people try to blame media for killings and crimes are ignorant and do not consider other things.

I agree with that. You can't blame entertainment because one out of a 100 million people takes it the wrong way. Plus it would make more sense to keep an eye out for the mentally disturbed and try to get them psychological help before they go on a shooting spree. Some people are just f***ed in the head, I mean look at Jeffery Dahmer, he knew full well that it was wrong and evil but he still killed around 18 young men. There was no movie that told him to do that.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
http://i.imgur.com/gKc40ul.jpg?1
#7KabtheMentatPosted 12/1/2013 6:40:38 PM
kingjosh1876 posted...
I watched a lot of violent movies and such when I was younger and have not been affected I do not believe, but also I have Aspergers Syndrome so perhaps I am less likely to.

This very post confirms you were affected, just not in the way normally considered.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#8Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 6:45:06 PM(edited)
kingjosh1876 posted...
Featherwind posted...

Has it been shown that video games actually cause violence? For example I could say that content featuring homosexual/black/poor/mentally ill/atheist people corrupts my children but I don't think this would be acceptable without proving a connection between negative behavior and the content.
---
pathological
#9KabtheMentatPosted 12/1/2013 6:48:57 PM(edited)
Directly cause violence? No. But playing games do increase dopamine levels in the brain...which so does doing just about anything you like. Which can cause an addiction and addictions can cause violence.

So indirectly, yeah, games can cause violence. But generally someone isn't going to pretend they're playing Call of Duty IRL unless they already have some underlying mental problem to begin with. Then the game is just a trigger, not the cause. It would be like saying Jodie Foster was the cause of John Hinkley's assassination attempt on Reagan. She wasn't, she was just an unwitting trigger.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#10Featherwind(Topic Creator)Posted 12/1/2013 7:12:09 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Directly cause violence? No. But playing games do increase dopamine levels in the brain...which so does doing just about anything you like. Which can cause an addiction and addictions can cause violence.

So indirectly, yeah, games can cause violence. But generally someone isn't going to pretend they're playing Call of Duty IRL unless they already have some underlying mental problem to begin with. Then the game is just a trigger, not the cause. It would be like saying Jodie Foster was the cause of John Hinkley's assassination attempt on Reagan. She wasn't, she was just an unwitting trigger.

Hmm... Even if video games are only a "trigger" then an argument can be made that they do increase violence. If group A and B both have the same underlying mental issues but group A has access to "triggers" then it would result in more violence and restricting access to these triggers would reduce violence.

But have they actually ever tested whether allowing children access to violent games does result in more violence overall (because it triggers underlying mental problems or causes them)?
---
pathological