This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think an i5 could last me 5 years?

#1TehPwnzererPosted 12/2/2013 12:05:26 AM
Clearly I'm not a frequent upgrader, but with new games like GHosts and Watch Dogs requiring such high system specs, I'm a little worried about making a dive for an i5 if it's just going to become obsolete in 2 or 3. I'm a guy that doesn't have a problem falling into console quality performance. So what do you think? I'm looking at a whole bunch of bundles on NCIX:

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=85023&vpn=Z87-G45%20Gaming%20%26%20i5%204670K&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals

http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=89436&vpn=Z87-PRO%26%20i5%204770K&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals&promoid=1029

I don't know if any of these are worth it, but All I hear is that i7 is a waste and no one needs more than an i5.
#2kill2thisPosted 12/2/2013 12:09:28 AM
Get the i7 the extra cores might not be fully utilised now, but within 5 years most definitely.
#3GamerManiac187Posted 12/2/2013 12:28:47 AM
Technology always gets outdated, no matter what. Sure, that processor could work for 5 years, but if some new demanding benchmark game comes out within those years, expect to have to bump down some settings. And chances are, around the 5 year mark, the i5 becomes the "Minimum CPU specification" for many games.

Similarly I think an i7 would be outclassed in the same manner. So I say, just go for what gives you the most performance per dollar right now.
---
http://backloggery.com/kurano
#4_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/2/2013 2:57:36 AM(edited)
It depends on how demanding you are and what you intend to do with it. But generally I would say yes, in the sense that it will still play games 5 years from now when coupled with a decent GPU.

To give an example. The i5 4670, 3570 and 2500 are not all that much different in performance. The processor from 4 years ago in that price bracket was the i5 750/760 and it is still pretty decent. You can still run recent demanding games on that processor like The Witcher 2 or Battlefield 4 without a problem.

If you go back 5 years or more and think of a processor like the Q6600 the answer is a little more difficult. I think it still does surprisingly well, and you can easily play something like Mass Effect 3, DOTA2 and a lot of other games on it. However, for the really CPU intensive games (Battlefield multiplayer), you really notice that at this point the CPU starts to struggle and it becomes a really limiting factor.

That said, I do not think it is a more cost effective option to pay a lot more for a better processor now just so you will not have to upgrade. You are better off buying something mid-range and upgrading when there are bigger gains to be had.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#5urtvPosted 12/2/2013 5:55:33 AM
it can.turn down graphics and overclock and it should last near that long
#6SlaynPosted 12/2/2013 6:01:20 AM
The only problem I see is that I think we might be near the end of the current ix processors line. If you asked the same question at the end of the core xx line, it would be the same. If you bought something like an i5 760 or whatever launched first, maybe it would have lasted 5 years.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#7ThePCElitistPosted 12/2/2013 6:41:57 AM
kill2this posted...
Get the i7 the extra cores might not be fully utilised now, but within 5 years most definitely.

In 5 years it'll be obsolete. There's no such thing as future proofing. He's better off buying an i5 now and upgrading in 3-4 years for a better one.
---
I hate windows 8!
#8TehPwnzerer(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 10:36:21 AM
Would it be better to wait until next year for the next lineup of intels and maxwells to arrive before building a new PC then?
#9kill2thisPosted 12/2/2013 10:48:09 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
kill2this posted...

In 5 years it'll be obsolete. There's no such thing as future proofing. He's better off buying an i5 now and upgrading in 3-4 years for a better one.

Never mentioned future proofing, just pointed out that realistically the i7 has the "potential" to last longer than the i5, which without any upgrading within that 5 year period I still believe.

Also are you saying that anything over a quad won't be utilised within 5 years, really?
#10gsf4lyfePosted 12/2/2013 10:49:29 AM
kill2this posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
kill2this posted...

Never mentioned future proofing, just pointed out that realistically the i7 has the "potential" to last longer than the i5, which without any upgrading within that 5 year period I still believe.

Also are you saying that anything over a quad won't be utilised within 5 years, really?

It could. There could also be a huge breakthrough in GPU architecture that makes CPU's irrelevant. A lot of things could happen and you have no idea what might.
---
SteamID: gsf4lyfe