This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any sites to reliably tell if retail games require Steam or Origin?

#11SKARDAVNELNATE(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 1:44:25 PM
Dark Elf posted...
it's best to run a quick search before buying anything.

Thank you. This is what I'm asking about. If I do a search for system requirements I get sites like Game-Debate which focus on hardware.

This page for Crysis 3 says nothing about Origin.
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=3953&game=Crysis%203

Neither does the official website.
http://www.crysis.com/us/pc

This leaves the impression that if you buy it retail you would get a stand alone version of the game. So where do I search to learn if this is true or not?
---
No locked doors, no windows barred. No more things to make my brain seem SKARD.
#12Freelance_WolfPosted 12/2/2013 2:32:55 PM
Where are you seeing this description? I mostly buy them on Amazon and Ebay and half the time I can't trust the seller to tell the difference between a box and a paper sleeve.

Well that would be a problem then. On Amazon I checked Civ V and it does say you need Steam. I checked Left 4 Dead after and it didn't say it needed Steam at all.

On all the major PC websites selling games (Gamefly, Gamersgate, GOG, etc) though, it always says in the description whether it needs Steam or any of the other services.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#13KabtheMentatPosted 12/2/2013 2:39:02 PM
Freelance_Wolf posted...
Where are you seeing this description? I mostly buy them on Amazon and Ebay and half the time I can't trust the seller to tell the difference between a box and a paper sleeve.

Well that would be a problem then. On Amazon I checked Civ V and it does say you need Steam. I checked Left 4 Dead after and it didn't say it needed Steam at all.

On all the major PC websites selling games (Gamefly, Gamersgate, GOG, etc) though, it always says in the description whether it needs Steam or any of the other services.

You need to pay attention to what publisher is publishing the game too. If it's 2K Games, who does Civ/XCOM/Borderlands/Bioshock, all of their stuff will require Steam. Same for Bethesda, Capcom, Square Enix, and most other major publishers, except for EA and Ubisoft.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson