This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Getting two new SSD/HDD got some questions on how I should do things

#1GSWarriors-Posted 12/2/2013 1:41:09 PM(edited)
My new SSD and HDD should come today. I have a 500GB HDD that's about to be full. I want to make the SSD my main drive and have my old drive just for storage. What should I do? Keep my old HDD inside, install the new SSD and HDD, install Windows 7 on SSD, have SSD as main drive in bios screen, then uninstall Windows 7 on my old HDD? Or just drag and drop all the files I need from old to new HDD and put away my old HDD for now since I probably won't need it for a while cause I'd have my new 2TB HDD.

Also once we plug in the HDD/SSD, will the computer automatically set them up or would I have to do something to install them? I never did this before
#2WyzeGyePosted 12/2/2013 1:40:53 PM
I never understood why people removed HDD's from their computer when they get new ones. What's the harm in having extra storage provided your PSU can handle it.
---
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/GCJ
http://youtu.be/AEKc-vNv_rU - updated 11/21/2013
#3bluezeroPosted 12/2/2013 1:43:36 PM
Install the SSD only. Install Windows, then add in the other drives. This will ensure Windows labels your SSD as C: and knows it's your boot drive.
---
Of all the zeroes, I'm the bluest.
#4GSWarriors-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 1:45:41 PM
bluezero posted...
Install the SSD only. Install Windows, then add in the other drives. This will ensure Windows labels your SSD as C: and knows it's your boot drive.

Isn't it better to first install new 2TB HDD, drag and drop important files from old HDD to new HDD, remove both HDDs then do what you said?
#5bluezeroPosted 12/2/2013 1:47:11 PM
GSWarriors- posted...
bluezero posted...

Isn't it better to first install new 2TB HDD, drag and drop important files from old HDD to new HDD, remove both HDDs then do what you said?

Why would you need to back anything up? Just install all HDDs.
---
Of all the zeroes, I'm the bluest.
#6GSWarriors-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 1:50:24 PM
bluezero posted...
GSWarriors- posted...
bluezero posted...

I forgot to say I was thinking about formatting my old drive because it's kinda cluttered with stuff like from uninstalls and I think I might have some malware on it that aren't detected
#7GSWarriors-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 1:52:22 PM
bluezero posted...
GSWarriors- posted...
bluezero posted...

Also I heard it's not a good idea to have two drives with OS on them because somethings will go to one drive when it's not supposed to. I don't remember where I read this but can you dudes clear this up for me? Is it possible to just uninstall Windows 7 on my old HDD once I install the new drives?
#8GSWarriors-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 3:53:07 PM
Ok I installed Windows 7 on my SSD but I tried to set up the internet and I can't do it. It says it's not detecting a network. I would need to install drivers too? If so what are all the ones I need
#9GSWarriors-(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 5:30:57 PM
GSWarriors- posted...
Ok I installed Windows 7 on my SSD but I tried to set up the internet and I can't do it. It says it's not detecting a network. I would need to install drivers too? If so what are all the ones I need
#10bluezeroPosted 12/2/2013 5:33:47 PM
Ethernet
---
http://i.imgur.com/qs0yS.png
http://steamsigmaker.de/std/_bluezero_.png