This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do all PC gamers slam the crap out of consoles and people that play them?

#61JayZero4Posted 12/2/2013 10:11:21 PM
Well, the ones I know tend to be really mellow and generally don't seem to care about the whole console vs. PC "war" garbage. games are games, enjoy them, don't start fights people.
#62ZuuFPosted 12/2/2013 10:13:15 PM
I don't really like using my computer for gaming (maybe it's because I use it so many hours for work, but I just don't like gaming on a computer over a dedicated console).
To me, a PC has always been a "work first, game...maybe" thing.
---
True Christianity is a lifestyle, not a religion. Learn it; live it.
I think I'm indecisive, but I'm not sure. Brubalities are the future of Mortal Kombat.
#63clowningPosted 12/2/2013 10:15:35 PM
Yes, we ALL do that.

*rolls eyes*
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#64GamersTavernPosted 12/2/2013 10:16:57 PM
I don't think that's what Politically Correct gamers do.
---
Main Site: http://www.gamers-tavern.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GamersTavernShow
#65ChargrilledPosted 12/2/2013 10:34:09 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
No, and I think it's fair to say most don't.

What pisses people off is when the console gamers start saying garbage like PC has no exclusives, PC can't be used on a TV with a gamepad, etc. etc.

---
GT : DeadJericho/PSN : Focalpoint/WiiU : FocalpointUK
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#66JKatarnPosted 12/2/2013 10:40:43 PM
Winpus posted...
VandorLee posted...
Ive noticed that whatever the graphics on a game are, ill simply adjust to them and they become normal instead of amazing or ugly.

I think this statement has a lot to do with a "typical" PC gamer's attitude towards console capabilities. When you play games almost exclusively at 1080p+ at 60fps+ on high+ settings, it's pretty jarring to adjust back to what a console can output at 720p 30fps. These days, and I think most PC gamers that use mods and have a system built in the past 5 years would agree, it kinda makes me gag at how ugly Skyrim is on a console.

The problem I encounter is when I see people talking like a friend of mine. I'll talk to him about gaming in general, but the moment I say something about the PC version of something being better for whatever reason, which objectively it usually is (ie not control setup or UI etc, but comparing frame rate or something of that nature), he gets all defensive and starts saying that it isn't better.

I only hold anything against consoles for the way the industry works. Developing for the lowest common denominator has held gaming back for quite a while this past generation since it was longer than normal.

Compare a game like Baldur's Gate, which is an exclusively PC designed game, to Dragon Age Origins. You have a game that was free to make it's aesthetic and interface choices based on what they felt was best for the game. They have huge varieties in environments and characters. Many different types of enemies to fight as well as AI scripts you encounter. You also have large combat parties, which means there needs to be global assets (summons count for this).

Dragon Age, while most people accept it as a good game, has comparatively smaller areas when taking into account technical advancements, few enemy varieties (is it like 9 total?), small player parties with fewer NPCs to chose from (fewer available global assets), and I think about 3 types of AI scripts to encounter. All these are limitations of RAM and CPU power of aging consoles.

This is the only reason I hold any animosity towards consoles (I don't usually care about the people that play them). And I look forward to this new generation coming out because it means for the next two years or so, developers will be able to design a game that's more an equivalent to the art they imagined rather than what fits in small hardware.

The porting of console UIs is a whole other issue, though.

You sound like the kind of person the TC is talking about - it's weird that someone would get defensive over criticism of a gaming platform, but then again it's weird that you would go out of your way to tell your "friend" that his version of the game is "crap" etc. Also, you probably wouldn't see as many games being produced were it not for the console market as the console gaming market is GINORMOUS compared to the PC gaming market (in total number of game consoles out there vs. gaming PCs), anyone can buy a console, hook it into their home network, pop in a disc (and likely have to do a few updates....automatically) and be playing with very little searching/intervention on their part. That is not to say PC gaming requires an engineering degree, far from it (certainly not from some of the threads/posts I've seen around here), but it turns out that most of the public aren't terribly bright. Also, I can and do go back and forth between console/PC gaming and it's not really "jarring", there's a difference, sure, but it doesn't take me too long to adjust and enjoy the games.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#67JKatarnPosted 12/2/2013 10:43:33 PM
JayZero4 posted...
Well, the ones I know tend to be really mellow and generally don't seem to care about the whole console vs. PC "war" garbage. games are games, enjoy them, don't start fights people.

Typically the people that really care about "winning" etc. are those whose entire life is consumed by gaming, they have nothing else in their life and gaming is their whole identity, thus the defensiveness. I mean, I love gaming, I always have, but I also recognize that they are ultimately just games and that there's far more to life/more important things to use my energy on than pointlessly arguing over which platform is "better". Enjoy your games and get on with your life.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#68atopp399Posted 12/2/2013 10:49:31 PM
No, I swing both ways.
#69gybugyPosted 12/2/2013 11:00:55 PM
No when I hear my friends talk about consoles I don't say anything that would make PC's appear superior to consoles. They speak about the games and so do I. my computer may be able to handle Battlefield 3 at great levels but I don't care if my games look silky smooth I prefer sprites and pixels because the art appeals to me more.
---
Lord of the Strike Empire
Join us and our conquest of forgotten boards!
#70IAMlnDiGNaTioNPosted 12/2/2013 11:07:03 PM
Nah, only fanboys do that. I play on both and i don't care what you like. Graphics and fps are only bonus. I think for the most part consoles have better games.