This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Need low spec, turn based games, PBEM preferred.

#1JeryxPosted 12/2/2013 7:30:36 PM
OK guys, this ones a tough one.
I am being thrown out of my roof (illegally, but thats another story). My gaming rig is safely in a storage unit. I have an old EEEPC 900 netbook and lots of places in this city have public wifi. Nothing I can keep a constant connection through, but it should be fine for anything that supports PBEM.

Specs on the netbook are 1024x600 intel based graphics, 900 mhz celeron cpu, 2 gigs ram, winXP.

I am looking for any kind of game where I can submit turns, and my friend online can host. Email is the best option, but any coffee break length multiplayer games would work as well. Major bonus points if any of them are coop.

Given my situation, gaming with my few remaining friends is a comfort I could seriously do with, so help me out here?
---
The laws contrived by the proud are their security and their undoing.
Such laws make disobedience a virtue, and obedience a sin.
#2FaPaThYPosted 12/2/2013 7:41:22 PM(edited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars!

One of my favorite games back in the day. Won't run on 64bit OSes, but you can use virtual machine software running XP to get around that.
---
"Because I realize I want you. Guts." | "....... Are you a ****?"
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Malicii/
#3DerPancakePosted 12/2/2013 7:32:33 PM
You are getting thrown out of your house and you want to discuss videogames? Why don't we discuss about what happened and maybe we can help you.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.
#4Jeryx(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 7:44:52 PM
DerPancake posted...
You are getting thrown out of your house and you want to discuss videogames? Why don't we discuss about what happened and maybe we can help you.

I appreciate the sentiment but as I said thats another story. No one on a message forum is going to be able to help me with that either. Gaming is and always has been a comfort to me, a way to relax in the face of overwhelming stress and my situation qualifies.
---
#5Flaktrooper123Posted 12/2/2013 7:55:59 PM
What else can you do? Pray perhaps

If you just want single player stuff by the way, try Jagged Alliance 2 with 1.13 fanmade patch.
#6Solid_FakePosted 12/2/2013 8:06:11 PM
Older Civilization games should take up a decent bit of your time. Maybe look into older rogue-likes. A lot of games that you can find on GOG.com would be great.
---
Do you get to the Cloud District very often?
Oh, what am I saying; of course you don't.
#7Jeryx(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 8:06:35 PM
Got plenty of single player stuff via dosbox. Some great oldies there. Still trying to find people interested in beating Fallthru though. Old text adventure that was local multiplayer. Kind of like a single system MUD. Absolutely ginormous game, and got a puzzle I am stumped on.

But consider something like space empires or age of wonders, in turn based mode. I'd have plenty of time to plan out my turns then woul only have to be online for a few seconds to send off the turn file to the host. Lots of webgames like that but since I can guarantee I'll be online every day I am looking for something my friend can host for us
---
#8kelemvorPosted 12/2/2013 8:16:05 PM
Don't know much about multiplayer by email games, so I'm going to recommend single player strategy games.

Master of Orion 2, trust me.

Alpha Centauri *might* work on a EEEpc. I would give it a shot anyway. It's pretty much the pinnacle of turn based strategy games except the AI leaves something to be desired when you start learning the mechanics.

Civ 2 will work, it has multiplayer. Fun little game, I played it every night back in the mid 90's. It works pretty well over LAN, but not sure about play by email.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is something worth looking into. 100's of hours of single player campaign adventures. Turn based strategy/RPG hybrid. You'll love it.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#9kelemvorPosted 12/2/2013 8:19:39 PM
MUDs?? Oh wow, I bet less than 1% of the PC board even remembers those or knows what they are. I remember that Ultima Online and Everquest killed them. I wonder if people can play Ultima Online with netbooks, that would be something fun to try. Are servers for those games still out there?
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#10Jeryx(Topic Creator)Posted 12/2/2013 8:38:15 PM
kelemvor posted...
MUDs?? Oh wow, I bet less than 1% of the PC board even remembers those or knows what they are. I remember that Ultima Online and Everquest killed them. I wonder if people can play Ultima Online with netbooks, that would be something fun to try. Are servers for those games still out there?

heheh. Not only are there official servers still out there for them, but plenty of unofficial ones too. I've run a few myself. Good times if you have a decent group to play with.

Yes Civ and Alpha Centauri will run on this thing. It used to play wow 2 expansions ago. Slowly, unplayably really. Everywhere felt like Old Lagforge. But it did run. It cant handle modern wow though with all the new engine stuff it has.
---