This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC monitors vs HDTVs: What actually looks better?

#11SpacewhizguyPosted 12/3/2013 2:07:26 AM(edited)
dante2k5 posted...
Obviously my tv is LARGER, but my understanding is that the resolution is what really matters...

Size is just size and has little to do with how good the picture is. As for resolution, that's one of the least important aspects of picture quality.

In general, for movies and shows and stuff where you want a pretty picture, a nice TV will perform better than a nice monitor since the TV is usually better where it matters (e.g., contrast ratios) and has features specifically suited for viewing media (e.g., nice upscaling).

For work and more precise things, a nice monitor will be usually better than a nice TV. It's easier to get good color accuracy on good monitors, and monitors typically have higher pixels/inch since they usually come in smaller sizes.

The main problem with gaming on a big TV is that it might be too big and it takes longer for the brain to process everything on the screen, so it's harder to control your characters. Your TV might also have more input lag than a typical monitor, even in game mode. Some people are also anal about aliasing, which is a bigger problem in games than in movies and will be more evident on bigger screens. Your TV's picture quality is probably prettier though.
---
What's a sig?
#12SlaynPosted 12/3/2013 2:17:19 AM(edited)
TV = large
Monitor = better quality

Having said this, I used a 1080p TV for a loooong time. I loved it, very cool playing on 37". Not to mention for Netflix, it's great.

I recently switched to a 1440p and it was the best decision I made in a while. There is nothing that can compete in the TV category. There are 4k tv, but they are expensive and I think also limited to 30 fps?

Right now I dual display 1080p tv for video, and game on the 1440p.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505
#13spud_almightyPosted 12/3/2013 3:17:15 AM
Bigger does not mean better... that's all I am saying.
#14hyjinx17Posted 12/3/2013 3:38:10 AM
I've been using a monitor for a number of years. Only problem I have is I can't plug my old systems into it ; ;
---
FC 3883-5502-4640. PM if you add me
#15Combo MasterPosted 12/3/2013 5:18:29 AM
Monitors are much better up close. Plasma tv's are usually better further back. Every plasma I have had has annoying image retention and if you are up close you can see blue,green,red dots that make up the picture so they are not meant from viewing real close. Pretty sure that's why they don't sell smaller plasma tv's or monitors.
---
Combo Master
#16reincarnator07Posted 12/3/2013 5:24:37 AM
That depends entirely on the monitor and TV in question. In theory, you should get more for your money with a monitor as they are generally smaller and don't require certain inputs or a TV tuner (or even speakers sometimes)
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#17TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 12/3/2013 5:39:26 AM
nIMr0D888 posted...
If you're TV has overscan that can't be turned off the picture will look like dogs*** and there won't be anything you can do about it., so I would be checking overscan can be turned off first.

It can be turned off if it's in RGB mode, which is done through the graphics card control panel (I've tried it on AMD and Nvidia cards, both work).

Also, turn off all post-processing stuff (or turn on the "game mode", if your TV has it) when using your computer.

It should be just fine and will look better if you're sitting far enough away. You can use online calculators to find the recommended viewing distance.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#18SampsonMPosted 12/3/2013 5:47:19 AM
Combo Master posted...
Monitors are much better up close. Plasma tv's are usually better further back. Every plasma I have had has annoying image retention and if you are up close you can see blue,green,red dots that make up the picture so they are not meant from viewing real close. Pretty sure that's why they don't sell smaller plasma tv's or monitors.

What garbage-quality plasma TVs are you buying?

They don't make small plasmas because it's too expensive to do so. Something with the way the screen is made.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby
#19MRN_Marn895Posted 12/3/2013 5:49:54 AM
Monitors are obviously better for gaming.
TV's dont look better, they just stretch the picture.
Plus TV's have input lag. Sometimes lots of it.
#20SampsonMPosted 12/3/2013 5:52:13 AM
I have a high-end, 65-inch plasma that has absolutely phenomenal picture quality. 100x better than my LED monitors.

For console ports like Sonic Racing or Batman Arkham, it's great. Even Diablo 3 is fine.

But the picture is simply too big for me to play games on it like Starcraft 2, or DOTA, or anything that involves focusing on dozens of small characters on the screen at one time.
---
"They tell me dont get high, and I should try to make a living, I tell em' imma hustler and I'd rather make killin' "~Weezy F. Babby