This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Last Remnant - has anybody played this? Did you like it?

#21Nagisa_ShinjuPosted 12/3/2013 1:32:09 PM
This game was like....four dollars the other day. Well worth it IMO. It should go on sale again for the Winter sale, so definitely pick it up.The battle and leveling systems are a bit...different, but it seems like different is what you are looking for TC.

Story-wise, it feels rather...meh. Big event establishes a major plot point right when you start the game. However, after hours upon hours, I have yet to get over that point. I mean, it has yet to be resolved. Pretty slow going, IMO.

Gameplay-wise , it's enjoyable. Battles take a more tactical approach than most RPGs. You issue commands to groups of characters that are organized in ways that benefit their unit. Do yourself a massive favor and press X *if using a 360 controller* when viewing commands. This will show you exactly what each character will do if you use said command.

You should read up on some of the gameplay mechanics first. As others have already mentioned, it is rather easy to screw up and be forced to restart your game. This was rampant on the 360 version, lesser on the PC, but still exists. That can all be avoided by going into the game with a few words of advice.

Don't grind.
If you need to, chain enemies.
Avoid pointless encounters.
Use side quests as a means to get items and money
Don't grind.
Look up some finer details either here or on the wikia
Don't...well.. you know.

So...yeah, try the demo, if it's your cup of tea, get the game during the Winter sale.
#22dermoratrakenPosted 12/3/2013 1:35:45 PM
It was enjoyable. My major complaint was that the battle system was completely random. Brought that up on the board one time and got crucified. I guess if you put 300 hours into the game and study all the information it makes sense, but for a first play through it just seems like you lack control sometimes.
#23Riot55555Posted 12/3/2013 1:39:41 PM
I really liked it *shrug* I spent a TON of time with it and enjoyed all the customization.
---
My competitive CS:S videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxqydBplX0&feature=channel_page&fmt=22
#24matu90rkPosted 12/3/2013 1:46:40 PM
It's a great game, if you're willing to invest the time reading at FAQs and the game board. The incredibly depth combat and character building offsets the godawful story.
#25x_stevey_xPosted 12/3/2013 2:09:48 PM
pc version is great
#26OrgeLambartPosted 12/3/2013 2:12:12 PM
Lets put it this way, it's an RPG that gives you zero control over battles, atleast in FF games you could decide to use this skill or that skill... Last Remnant pretty much puts you at the mercy of the dice... Have an awesome healing unit next turn, with your main power house kinda low on HP..... watch as it only allows you to basic attack instead of healing the unit..

It's pretty much like the game puts you in Auto drive and plays itself, you are just there to press the buttons.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#27WTDelta1Posted 12/3/2013 2:17:20 PM
Wow, didn't think this many people remembered the game.
---
Steam/PSN/NID:WTDelta
#28Treason686Posted 12/3/2013 2:21:22 PM
I have it... I don't remember much, other than buying it, playing for a little while, and turning it off.

I can't be more specific than that, sorry. All I can say is that I was thoroughly unimpressed.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#29EternalFlame66Posted 12/3/2013 2:45:52 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
EternalFlame66 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
The Low BR thing was xbox only. The PC version did not do that.

Nope. I can give you my save state and you can try it out.

Even the vets on last remnant PC board wipes several times with my save file.

Ok on my hard game file... I am BR 98, so far enemies are pretty easy. If I go to earlier levels, they die when Rush spits on them. They didn't magically get harder.

Dunno about hard mode, I didn't even get that far.

You can get to a high BR and do fine, but you must do everything correctly. Otherwise a high BR will literally kill you and there isn't any way to remedy it.

I should still have my save file and I didn't even purposely try to ruin it or anything. (patches may have fixed this issue)
---
Such is your fate.
#30SinisterSlayPosted 12/3/2013 2:48:53 PM
EternalFlame66 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
EternalFlame66 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
The Low BR thing was xbox only. The PC version did not do that.

Nope. I can give you my save state and you can try it out.

Even the vets on last remnant PC board wipes several times with my save file.

Ok on my hard game file... I am BR 98, so far enemies are pretty easy. If I go to earlier levels, they die when Rush spits on them. They didn't magically get harder.

Dunno about hard mode, I didn't even get that far.

You can get to a high BR and do fine, but you must do everything correctly. Otherwise a high BR will literally kill you and there isn't any way to remedy it.

I should still have my save file and I didn't even purposely try to ruin it or anything. (patches may have fixed this issue)

I am not aware of any patches for TLR since I bought it.

To purposely lose, only way I know of is to swap out your entire team for completely rookies.
But that's true of every jrpg. At level 100, if you swap out to level 1's your going to die.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence