This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Last Remnant - has anybody played this? Did you like it?

#51Seto KaibaPosted 12/3/2013 9:30:56 PM
TLR is one of my favorite games, but it's definitely not for everyone. It's probably not for most people for that matter. As you can tell by the rest of the thread, opinion on the game is rather polarized.

A major pitfall that I think people fall victim to when they start the game is expecting a run-of-the-mill JRPG, which while the story surely is, the gameplay is not. Like, at all. Level/money grinding will ruin you in the long-run, there are TONS of missable sidequests if you don't bother to look absolutely everywhere after each story quest, and your success in battle is more reliant on your party management and recruitment rather than direct orders given in combat, with a battle system that has more in common with Ogre Battle than Final Fantasy, (what drew me to it in the first place, to be honest) where you'll be issuing general orders to a group at a time rather than specific orders to specific individuals.

There is WAY too much to write about this game in terms of mechanics, so I'll just leave it at this: If you're looking for your standard JRPG fare, you'd best save your money. If you're patient, can tolerate failure, prefer management to direct control of battle, and enjoy a "guide dang-it" level of depth and difficulty (holy heck, is it difficult), The Last Remnant is awesome and you will enjoy every minute of it for hours at a time... But even then, as much as I'd like to recommend buying it at full price because I myself like the game so much, I really can't because it caters to very niche tastes and there's no guarantee that you'll enjoy it even if you think you're prepared. So if possible, make sure you do manage get it on sale.

As a side note, I'm so sad there will never be a sequel.
---
"An evolution-based game would suck. You would start it up and wait till New Game clicked itself." - UnemMun
#52SinisterSlayPosted 12/3/2013 10:32:09 PM
EternalFlame66 posted...

ah yea, how did you guess? that's when i realized i screwed up my party and have to restart the game lol.

Best trick is don't send everyone into the fight. Only send 1 or two unions in, have the others stand ground, set up field, or non deadlock heal.
Non deadlock heal also means, revive if someone dies.

Also, clear those status ailments, also means, revive if someone dies.

Rush gets his abilities when moral is high and his moral is high

David gets his abilities when moral is high and he is not deadlocked. So hes good to put as the guy running around reviving people.

Strike from the sides actually means "attack from the sides and heal deadlocked unions" so it's a good ability to use.

"Give it all you got" and "turn it around" actually mean, use best abilities, and if enemy dies, heal afterwards.

Once you learn what the commands really do, and how to control them, battles become trivial.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#53AngurvadalPosted 12/6/2013 10:29:57 AM
TC I'd suggest Final Fantasy 12. It's probably the most western-feeling of the Final Fantasy games.
---
Words of wisdom from Guybrush Threepwood:
http://tinyurl.com/cell59d
#54ThePonyColliePosted 12/6/2013 10:57:28 AM
it's the closest you'll get for a console style rpg on pc. the gameplay is great and full of strategies regarding how to win your battles. the story is ok, but it has an awesome soundtrack! the game runs well and has no technical problems and it supports the 360 controller.
#55MarceloSampaioPosted 12/6/2013 11:12:08 AM
TonyWonder posted...
Interesting. Seems that people either like it a lot or hate it.

Dude, this is how things work in general here at Gamefaqs. People in here only love or hate everything. According to most people here, a game can only be AMAZING or COMPLETE GARBAGE, never something in between.
---
:3
Gamefaqs logic: Emulation = Piracy.
#56easymodexzPosted 12/6/2013 12:30:05 PM
Yeah, TLR is like it or hate it.

It's a very unique game and it's pretty easy to see why people hate it if they go into it with expectations. The PC version also fixed a hugeass ton of stuff. The X360 version is simply not worth playing in comparison.

Overall I "like it" -- there are many issues which stop it from being great, even with the PC version. My #1 issue with the game is the poor documentation. When implementing an unusual combat system, you had better make it intuitive or make it clear what does what. The entire obfuscation of the commands and AI do nothing but piss players off. If each command had a detailed description (even outside of combat, like on a help screen or in the game manual), the game would be 100x better.

It seems like SE just shot themselves in the foot on execution.

That said, if you take the time to learn it ... it's pretty fun.