This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's a good antivirus?

#1LyokoNinjaPosted 12/3/2013 1:32:50 PM
Currently using Norton, which scans files (only new and edited ones, I'm assuming) whenever my computer is idle, and there's no way to disable this. I don't like the idea of additional wear and tear on my hard drive for no reason. Using Windows 7.

I really, REALLY hate how Avast bugs you to register, but it seems like the only good free one out there. From what I've heard, MSE has gone downhill, right? Any suggestions? I'm using a SSD for booting up and a 2 TB HDD to install programs and store files, if some antivirus programs don't play nice with that kind of set up for some reason.

Oh, and I do have the free version of Malwarebytes. Is the full version worth it?
---
You mean you didn't sacrifice your 4 star Bulbasaur with 16
level up counters in order to Special Summon a 6 star Ivysaur?
- wind64a
#2turbovirginPosted 12/3/2013 1:34:56 PM
MSE and common sense when downloading files should be enough for most people.
---
Heads on straight, my girlfriend's beautiful, looks pretty good to me
#3steveboblarryPosted 12/3/2013 1:38:04 PM
Super anti virus spyware
---
Official TimePharaoh Fanboy #1
Put this in your sig if you are a TimePharaoh fanboy
#4jokujokujokuPosted 12/3/2013 2:01:33 PM
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

That will tell you how all the top anti-virus software compares.
#5Kerr AvonPosted 12/3/2013 2:25:15 PM
I recommend Avast! to everyone, it's free for home use, doesn't use up too many system resources, and has a great detection rate. I put it on every PC I build/upgrade/fix, unless the owner specifies otherwise (which is rare, but some users, for example, only use Kaspersky because their bank recommends it - Kaspersky is great, but it's not free, and Avast! is just as good for the home user).

I'd also recommend you install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (the free for home users version) as both Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware work together without clashing, so you have two anti-virus programs on your side in case one of them misses an infection. Download them from;

Avast!

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

then before you install them, remove uninstall Norton, reset the PC again, then install the above two.
---
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#6someflamablekidPosted 12/3/2013 3:07:59 PM
Avast! bugs you to register once a year. And all it wants is an email and they never send you anything.

I don't see the problem. Make a junk e-mail account. Forget about it.
#7SinisterSlayPosted 12/3/2013 3:14:55 PM
I gave Avast a try a week ago.

It cut my system speed in half and decided that nearly every program I had was a virus, then it would hang the system.
The uninstall did not work either because it thought it's own uninstall was a virus.
uninstall in safemode did not work either.
I had to use my tablet to download a cleaning tool, then transfer to my cell phone via bluetooth, then use cell phone to plug into computer and get the remover tool.

A lot of effort.

For now I am sticking with Avira, which has gotten a lot worse with every version, but still doesn't behave more like a virus than actual viruses do.
My latest complaint with Avira is they, like Microsoft, have forgotten that computers are meant to be used, not rebooted. So it likes to nag you to reboot after every update now. And they removed the ability to turn off the auto software update.

MSE did catch a virus for me a couple nights ago. I was trying to find the community patch for populous the beginning. I thought I found it, but it was a Russian website (so you immediately know something is wrong) and I extracted the zip file inside a sandbox and while extracting MSE found a virus in the replacement game executable. So +1 for passive scan on MSE.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#8k debonairPosted 12/3/2013 3:15:41 PM
I still highly recommend MSE. A lot of people point to the fact that it misses a lot of 0-day malware and that the microsoft engineers even stated as much, but that shouldn't matter for the common user. How often does one get stricken with a 0-day exploit?

It still has the best integration of any antivirus out there, it's fast, light and easy to use.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#9Orestes417Posted 12/3/2013 3:19:46 PM
Yeah. I like MSE too, for the simple fact it can mostly be installed, scheduled, and forgotten. Combine it with a periodic scan with Malwarebytes, a decent ad blocker and user education for a decently effective protection.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#10biohazard1775Posted 12/3/2013 3:38:45 PM
MSE is decent.
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!