This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you deal with AMD drivers?

#31DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/3/2013 6:11:27 PM(edited)
Again, the install base is irrelevant to the term.

How can you not take a step back and look at these features to see that they can be useful for some people. If it has usefulness in anyway, its not a gimmick.

Now back on topic.

I've never had any major issues with my AMD drivers aside from crossfire problems and that was some years ago (4xxx) series. Not sure how relevant that experience is today.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#32Snuckie7Posted 12/3/2013 6:10:58 PM
DV8ingSources posted...

How is the install base irrelevant to

thought to be of little relevance

If most people don't have a use for something, it's irrelevant.
---
Intel Core i7 3820 | EVGA X79 SLI K2 | MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III | Samsung / 840 120GB / 8GB RAM | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Corsair / 550D / H70 | Silencer MKIII 600W
#33DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/3/2013 6:13:58 PM(edited)
Snuckie7 posted...
DV8ingSources posted...

How is the install base irrelevant to

thought to be of little relevance

If most people don't have a use for something, it's irrelevant.

Because most people can step back from their bias and look at it from a different perspective. They are useful features.

Also please understand that useless to you doesn't mean useless to anyone else.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#34SpideyknightPosted 12/3/2013 6:40:04 PM
Yea Shadowplay is really handy. Wish I had known about it before I bought my 7970 at the beginning of the year.
---
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.
#35BowsaaPosted 12/3/2013 7:01:43 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Because most people can step back from their bias and look at it from a different perspective. They are useful features.

But they're still gimmicks.

I agree with Snuckie here, with the possible exception of shadowplay. The others aren't really useful enough to call them anything but gimmicks.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#36Lazy_HaarPosted 12/3/2013 7:16:07 PM
I just upgraded from a 4870 to a 7870, and those are the only two GPUs I've ever owned. Am I really missing out on a lot by never trying Nvidia's stuff?
#37KabtheMentatPosted 12/3/2013 8:09:11 PM
Lazy_Haar posted...
I just upgraded from a 4870 to a 7870, and those are the only two GPUs I've ever owned. Am I really missing out on a lot by never trying Nvidia's stuff?

At this point, not much other than having more money in your wallet. IMO Nvidia's are absurdly priced for the performance they get. Equivalent AMD cards are like $100 or more less.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#38Treason686Posted 12/3/2013 8:10:34 PM
DV8ingSources posted...

How can you not take a step back and look at these features to see that they can be useful for some people. If it has usefulness in anyway, its not a gimmick.

Now back on topic.

I've never had any major issues with my AMD drivers aside from crossfire problems and that was some years ago (4xxx) series. Not sure how relevant that experience is today.

By definition, that would be incorrect. If the definition states that it's thought to be of little relevance, it's a gimmick.

I don't know what's with the mincing of words here. I find the features largely irrelevant, and I own an nVidia card. I can't say I'll never use them, but their uses will be few and far between for the majority of users, making them of little relevance.

All that aside, none of this has anything to do with drivers. Perhaps the TC is missing the ability to record video and have game presets. Physx is largely irrelevant and will continue to be that way with AMD powering both the PS4 and 360, so I'm not sure that feature is a big deal at this point.

I've owned AMD cards as well, and I can say, with the exception of using Crossfire with new releases, I didn't have any issues. Of course, nVidia has similar multi-card issues, so I'm not sure that's even a relevant complaint, though I don't have personal experience to compare it to.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#39y3kmanPosted 12/3/2013 8:22:37 PM
Funny you mentioned Geforce drivers, Starks.

I have an old GTX 560 card. ALL drivers between 314.22 and the latest 331.93 Beta causes a BSOD on my system. It took Nvidia EIGHT months to fix their broken driver for my "obsolete" Fermi card.

On the other hand, I never experienced faulty drivers with my AMD video card (installed on my other PC). *shrugs*
---
3DS Friend Code: 3179-6997-7741 ; PSN: y3kman
Currently playing: Senran Kagura
#40LostHisHardcorePosted 12/3/2013 11:20:02 PM
I find it amusing a Nvidia shill thread turns into an argument on definitions
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"