This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow, Shield doesn't feel like a handheld at all...

#11SUPER3METROIDXPosted 12/3/2013 7:23:09 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
Sold me... Wasn't sure what I wanted to get for myself at xmas but household streaming does sound like it might open up some new opportunities. Might even dust off my elliptical machine while playing some games.

I'm mostly interested in the fully fledged streaming. Does it work well and have you had much latency? What router and gpu do you use? Do you have to set the game up in 720p first?

Got to try it out for a while and can say it's not really any good for video streaming. Tried to stream some videos out of the hdmi and got screwed up shoddy video due to drm. Using play movies just gives a big red x.
In terms of game streaming, it's okay for game where the screen doesn't change much like platformers with a static background. Anything where the entire image rapidly changes murders the bitrate and makes it look like a shoddy youtube video.
Plus should your connection ever suffer any difficulties, you just get cut off for a few seconds except it doesn't pause which will result in death in many games.
Another thing to consider is that most PC games don't translate well to a 5in screen at all. Everything is incredibly tiny and unplayable for most games.
There's also a limited list of compatible games, some just crash and go to the desktop, like super meat boy, which also results in the entire thing becoming unresponsive and requiring a PC restart.

The Shield does have decent controls and the battery life is great but it's definitely a 1st gen product, I'd hold off unless you have a crazy PC and feel like wasting $300.
#12Jimm1225Posted 12/3/2013 7:31:42 PM
TC, how's the battery life compare to the 3DS and/or Vita?

I was going to get the shield yesterday, but I found out it doesn't support laptops for now(my lappy has a GTX660m). Also, would these speeds be okay or acceptable for streaming, even if i did have a desktop?

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3142833588
#13SUPER3METROIDXPosted 12/3/2013 7:35:20 PM
Jimm1225 posted...

I was going to get the shield yesterday, but I found out it doesn't support laptops for now(my lappy has a GTX660m). Also, would these speeds be okay or acceptable for streaming, even if i did have a desktop?

Shield doesn't stream over internet, it's purely local wifi only. Connection is limited directly by router speeds.
#14DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2013 8:52:08 PM(edited)
DV8ingSources posted...
Sold me... Wasn't sure what I wanted to get for myself at xmas but household streaming does sound like it might open up some new opportunities. Might even dust off my elliptical machine while playing some games.

I'm mostly interested in the fully fledged streaming. Does it work well and have you had much latency? What router and gpu do you use? Do you have to set the game up in 720p first?

I use a crappy 2.4ghz router that wouldn't even broadcast when I first tried to use the Shield. One of the first things I did was launch steam and jump into a game of GRID.
It's not as seamless as it was made out to be; you have to click connect on the host PC before you can do anything, which really kinda sucks and I hope they fix in an update. Steam froze and crashed when I tried to back out of it, too. Not sure who's fault that is.
However, when in GRID, the game was completely playable. Everything felt responsive, it was very clear and easy to see. No setup required. It just launched into fullscreen big picture in I think 1080p(wry!? it was clipped onto my left screen a bit for some reason) and then launched the game.
It wasn't perfectly latency free, though. I'll test some faster paced games in a while, but I could imagine something like Megaman or King of Fighters wouldn't be all that fun.

Definitely still improvements to be made, and I haven't tested anything super fast paced, but it works, and really demonstrates that the technology is there. I got no hiccups either.

I tried out GRID streaming beta with less good results, but I'm well below their recommendation and the connection test tried to tell me not to play, claiming a 50%+ frame loss. ;p
The result was occasional stutter, some nasty controller lag at times, pretty bad audio latency, and occasional drops to youtube image quality, but it held up pretty well, too. Again, seems like the technology is there, and it just needs some polish.

Edit: Just tried out some La Mulana, and it's surprisingly playable, but yeah, not the most fun experience. I could see it working for things like Castlevania games, or Ghosts 'n Goblins, but for something super fast paced like Megaman or KOF, it'd be playable but definitely not ideal.
It really hits home watching the screen next to my 120hz LCD just how behind it can get. At best, it looks like maybe 30-50ms.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#15akuma634Posted 12/3/2013 8:27:35 PM
How is someone a fanboy or a troll for enjoying something?
---
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634
http://i.imgur.com/gKc40ul.jpg?1
#16DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2013 8:49:17 PM
Jimm1225 posted...

If you're planning to remote stream via proxy, this won't cut it. You'll need a few megabits up. Like, 3+ up at least. Your ping is fine, though, and down rate doesn't matter so much.
If you want to run GeForce Grid, I think your results would probably be poor due to the 3Mb down, but it would likely function/be playable.

It sucks about laptop support. I think it's due to some problems with Optimus.
---
#17Bartz77Posted 12/3/2013 9:38:55 PM(edited)
akuma634 posted...
How is someone a fanboy or a troll for enjoying something?

Who legitimately talks like that? Going into such great detail to describe their recent purchase. I mean it's nice he likes his purchase, but to the extent of his initial post which isn't talking about it's features or abilities and is just pure gushing over his "premium device." It just seems too over the top to be believable, so my natural instinct on the internet is to assume one of three things:

1. He's a fanboy for the company/device.
2. He is paid to post about how his companies handheld device is more akin to a top of the line pc than to a handheld game system.
or
3. He is a troll and being sarcastic/or baiting people to dispute his statements.

edit: This is just based off the initial post without knowing him or his post history, and I am not claiming he is one of the three, just what it seems like. Also I am not knocking the device or disputing his statements, as I personally have not had a chance to see it in action yet.

---
You played the flute but no one was dancing
You sang a sad song and none of us cried
#18DarkZV2Beta(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2013 10:19:23 PM
I don't normally make posts gushing over products, but some stuff is just worth it. I honestly was surprised with how good the Shield is, coming into it expecting it to be good.
---
#19TimePharaohPosted 12/3/2013 10:23:31 PM
You said it's good following a post where you describe how the main feature of it doesn't work anywhere near a "good" level, and dips down to "unplayable garbage".

What?
---
HE are genius, firstly. - ASlaveObeys
GestapoFAQs http://i.imgur.com/prqCDHz.png http://i.imgur.com/ooNGE4u.png
#20farigontiPosted 12/3/2013 10:33:54 PM
This dude got the 360 working on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEYkewzMmg&feature=youtu.be
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550