This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some days, I still wonder how they hell Mass Effect when from this, to THIS

#41SinisterSlayPosted 12/4/2013 8:04:58 AM
doctoglethorpe posted...
Mac Walters happened, unfortunately. Wiki that.

Can't find anything helpful, can you provide link? Are you speaking of his personal wikipedia page?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#42AlleRacingPosted 12/4/2013 8:15:41 AM(edited)
Mass Effect started terrible. Cartoon-tier villain, unimaginative equipment where nearly all of it is just pallet-swapped with increasing number designations to signify that something is higher tier, every single side system had exactly one explorable planet that looked mysteriously identical to every other explorable planet in the galaxy, save for the colour it might be or whether it requires your characters to wear their helmets on the surface. They all also seemed to have these odd bases with identical layouts. Every single main quest planet was a corridor. No side paths. No exploration. No unique loot. The only area in the entire game that was fleshed out, and barely at that, was The Citadel. It introduced the god-awful dialogue wheel, and its hilariously bad black and white dichotomy response, where you can choose to be a selfless saint, or some edgy douche who does/says mean things for no gain of his own. Even the skill progression is woefully void of creativity. 3 classes with a couple of skills, and 3 hybrid classes with hybrids of those few skills. Even KotOR, with its extremely simplified D&D mechanics had way more skills, and even it was on the short end of it.

Oh, and the combat was pretty damn bad.

I can't believe people praised this garbage and feel affronted that the series was 'ruined', or worse, still praise the series.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#43MasterTurtlePosted 12/4/2013 8:47:51 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Forever Shadowed posted...
I like how people are slamming DA:Os combat.

Because that means the combat for the great, classic RPGs of all time are also bad.

RIP gaming.

It is. A lot of classic RPGs have horrible combat.

I agree on the classic RPGs part but I actually enjoyed DAO's combat as a Mage a fair amount. I tried playing it as a Warrior or Rogue and found it a lot more boring.
---
Can I interest you in a...side mission?
#44biohazard1775Posted 12/4/2013 12:00:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/85LBsD7.jpg
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#45HamBurglar69Posted 12/4/2013 1:58:10 PM
AlleRacing posted...
Mass Effect started terrible. Cartoon-tier villain, unimaginative equipment where nearly all of it is just pallet-swapped with increasing number designations to signify that something is higher tier, every single side system had exactly one explorable planet that looked mysteriously identical to every other explorable planet in the galaxy, save for the colour it might be or whether it requires your characters to wear their helmets on the surface. They all also seemed to have these odd bases with identical layouts. Every single main quest planet was a corridor. No side paths. No exploration. No unique loot. The only area in the entire game that was fleshed out, and barely at that, was The Citadel. It introduced the god-awful dialogue wheel, and its hilariously bad black and white dichotomy response, where you can choose to be a selfless saint, or some edgy douche who does/says mean things for no gain of his own. Even the skill progression is woefully void of creativity. 3 classes with a couple of skills, and 3 hybrid classes with hybrids of those few skills. Even KotOR, with its extremely simplified D&D mechanics had way more skills, and even it was on the short end of it.

Oh, and the combat was pretty damn bad.

I can't believe people praised this garbage and feel affronted that the series was 'ruined', or worse, still praise the series.

http://blakesnow.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/10/url-2.gif

You sir are my hero.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95696112/tumblr_mpjakcPyVC1rvua2oo1_500.gif
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/95696112/margaery-tyrell.gif
#46SchwubPosted 12/4/2013 2:38:33 PM
ME1 was the best game in the trilogy, also one of the best games I have ever played. The story and atmosphere was unlike any other, I was completely in awe, exploring planets was so mysterious, lonely, and eerie. Customizing my weapons and armor was one of the most fun I had. ME2 and ME3 were also epic, but like others have said, they just turned into another generic TPS, albeit an exceptional one at that. Alas, ME3's RGB ending was a complete and utter destruction of closure in the series.

DA:O is also one of the best games I have ever played, I was bought into the hype and pre-purchased DA2 which was a flaming pile of dog **** if I'd say so myself. Spent 300+ hours on DA:O Ultimate edition. Spent 10 hours on DA2, couldn't bring myself to finish the game, I probably completed the game 40% at best.
#47FeatherwindPosted 12/4/2013 3:27:06 PM(edited)
I've always thought their downfall started with BG:ToB and was finalized with NWN. BG:ToB felt like it was made to milk SoA even though it didn't really work well at all and really should have been a full game or at least a more well thought out expansion. NWN is perhaps my favorite single player RPG but the official content is not good and I lost my faith in Bioware with this game.

And even though I like BG:SoA a lot it was already walking a very thin line between a great game and a disaster. Huge amounts of content were cut, it's really buggy, the ending makes just as much sense as ME3 etc.
---
pathological
#48rpgianPosted 12/4/2013 4:00:20 PM
Dao was my favorite but I liked Jade Empire and Kotor 1/2 a lot too (odd kotor was so good even not liking star wars).

Origins was just a nice experience with good length. Nice DIFFERENT areas. I only enjoyed da2 a little because of cameos/general familarity but on the whole it sucked big time.

Playing da2 is like playing mass effect 1 if it only consisted of side quests. Oh look the exact same building but this time the left door is open instead of the right one.

Mass effect 1 had a better story but worse side content, 2 had a much worse story with better side content and 3 just kind of took all the consequences and story up and spelled out null <insert randomness>

They all have their better and worse elements but its accurate to say on the whole its downhill. I wouldn't pay $60 for any of their future titles because I know it won't be worth it but its not complete crap and will be a nice way to pass the time for $5-10.

So not hate no love. They want to make things a generic experience then they can get a generic amount of attention and branding in response. I'm suprised they haven't switched over to mmo since they like to copy/paste most the game at least 1/3 the time.
#49overkillwfo1978Posted 12/4/2013 7:07:46 PM
The first thing I said to myself after beating ME 1 right after it was released was "there is no way in hell the sequels will live up to this greatness".... and even though I enjoyed 2 and 3, my statement couldn't have been more accurate.
---
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten" -George Carlin
#50mjc0961Posted 12/7/2013 8:48:49 AM
akuma634 posted...
I'll never understand how anyone could like ME1 more than the sequels. ME1 was so heavily flawed all around, it was the Assassin's Creed 1 of the franchise and the sequels went and fixed nearly every problem of the original.

The only problem that needed to be fixed was inventory management, and the sequels "fixed" it in completely the wrong way. They also created more problems than previously existed. ME1 was a flawed but unique action RPG. 2 and 3 were just poor third person shooters, outdone by the likes of Gears and Uncharted.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.