This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Reccomend me a heat sink

#1kozmikkiller90Posted 12/3/2013 7:02:01 PM
I have an AMD Phenom II 965 Quad core, I don't think that mine is working properly anymore. My cpu keeps getting really hot, then I'll bsod. I tried changing the thermal past today with Tuniq 2, but it didn't fix anything. I can't play any games or anything, and I have no idea what the problem is. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks guys.

This is the mobo if it matters at all.

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA
---
Truth becomes Treason, in and empire of lies. - Ron Paul.
#2PraetorXynPosted 12/3/2013 7:07:22 PM
Air: Phanteks TC14PE if your case has enough clearance for it, Noctua NH-D14 otherwise as long as you can stomach the poop brown and beige color scheme.

CLC: NZXT Kraken X60 / Corsair H100i.

I'd advise going with air, as the best CLC only beat it by a couple of degrees centigrade but the CLC are much louder.

For thermal paste, the best you can get is Gelid GC-Extreme, but there are other good ones. Just google thermal compound roundup 2013.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#3kozmikkiller90(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2013 7:31:45 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Air: Phanteks TC14PE if your case has enough clearance for it, Noctua NH-D14 otherwise as long as you can stomach the poop brown and beige color scheme.

I'd advise going with air, as the best CLC only beat it by a couple of degrees centigrade but the CLC are much louder.

For thermal paste, the best you can get is Gelid GC-Extreme, but there are other good ones. Just google thermal compound roundup 2013.

Thank you buddy, I guess I should have asked for something a little cheaper. I wasn't expecting to pay over $40 for one.
---
Truth becomes Treason, in and empire of lies. - Ron Paul.
#4mrCubePosted 12/3/2013 7:36:47 PM
PraetorXyn posted...

That's not necessarily true, most of the CLCs I've used have had nearly silent pumps. Most of the noise comes from the fans, you can replace the stock fans if they're too loud. It's true that in most cases the very best air coolers will just about match the average CLC though.

There's the aesthetic issue, too. A water block looks a lot better than a monster heatsink.
---
---
#5PraetorXynPosted 12/3/2013 8:10:08 PM
kozmikkiller90 posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

Thank you buddy, I guess I should have asked for something a little cheaper. I wasn't expecting to pay over $40 for one.

I listed the best in each category. For that budget, the only thing I know of that's good is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.
---
#6PraetorXynPosted 12/3/2013 8:11:56 PM
mrCube posted...
PraetorXyn posted...

That's not necessarily true, most of the CLCs I've used have had nearly silent pumps. Most of the noise comes from the fans, you can replace the stock fans if they're too loud. It's true that in most cases the very best air coolers will just about match the average CLC though.

There's the aesthetic issue, too. A water block looks a lot better than a monster heatsink.

I don't like CLC for noise and performance reasons. I usually build water loops myself, which have the advantage of looking hellishly sexy.
---
#7Flaktrooper123Posted 12/3/2013 8:16:27 PM
If you pick either of those, or Deepcool Assassin, be careful with your RAM. Make sure you have enough clearance. If you have high profile RAM, you may want smaller ones, or watercool.
#8mrCubePosted 12/3/2013 8:16:55 PM
Custom loops are more noisy though... more powerful pumps, usually more fans. Not to mention usually at least triple the cost of a good CLC.
---
---
#9DreDayyPosted 12/3/2013 8:21:51 PM
get a proper air cooler(phanteks or noctua) or do a custom loop, don't waste your time on closed loop kits.
---
|i7 4770k|Gigabyte UD4h|8gb RAM|GTX 780|Samsung 830 128gb|Crucial M4 128gb|2 x 1TB WD Black|540 Air|AX 850|NH-D14|
#10Flaktrooper123Posted 12/3/2013 8:23:04 PM
If you want NH-D14 but you have high profile RAM, you can get NH-U14S or NH-U12P instead. Not as good, but smaller. I Have the NH-D14 and at least the fans looks good in my military green C70 case.