This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PCH, whats going on with this file transfer?

#1protools1983Posted 12/3/2013 9:01:09 PM
Here's the deal, my SSD is my C drive and almost everything else (including these mod files) are stored on a separate HDD D drive.

While "activating" mods via NMM I see that the disk drive space on C goes down the amount of the file being activated. Once the activation is complete the drive space resumes to it's original size.

1. Is my system caching to my SSD instead of my memory?

2. Is this bad for my SSD?

3. I have Samsung Magician set to "Reliability" mode so am I missing a setting somewhere to specify no caching?
---
Stand up for consumer rights! Vote with your dollar! Boycott Xbox One!!!
#2protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2013 7:18:48 AM
Anyone?
---
#3Davel23Posted 12/4/2013 7:23:29 AM
The temp directory defaults to the system drive.
---
Your mom's box.
#4protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2013 7:42:25 AM
Davel23 posted...

Care to elaborate? Does that mean it is caching on my C drive? Is it detrimental to my SSD?
---
#5El MagnificoPosted 12/4/2013 8:10:45 AM
protools1983 posted...
Davel23 posted...

Care to elaborate? Does that mean it is caching on my C drive? Is it detrimental to my SSD?

The temp directory isn't really a cache although I suppose a program could use it as such. It's really just scratch space for any program to dump data that it only needs to use temporarily. I wouldn't call it detrimental since it's normal usage of a drive. It does mean writing to your SSD if that's what you're concerned about.
#6Davel23Posted 12/4/2013 8:49:36 AM
El Magnifico posted...
protools1983 posted...
Davel23 posted...

The temp directory isn't really a cache although I suppose a program could use it as such. It's really just scratch space for any program to dump data that it only needs to use temporarily. I wouldn't call it detrimental since it's normal usage of a drive. It does mean writing to your SSD if that's what you're concerned about.

Precisely. If it was likely to cause a problem with an SSD then the Magician software's OS Optimization function would automatically put it somewhere else. But it doesn't, and so...
---
Your mom's box.
#7protools1983(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2013 8:52:10 AM
Well thats what I was thinking but I didnt know if there was another setting I was missing. Thanks guys, I love my SSD and want it to be as happy as possible.
---