This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Mantle and what it supposedly can do.

#1KabtheMentatPosted 12/4/2013 6:15:16 AM
I get the general idea of it...it essentially lets the CPU, GPU, and game talk to each other more efficiently without all of the middle man crap that DirectX has to deal with. But what about performance? All I've read and seen is talk about all of the arcane nerd ****, which is fine if you're into that stuff. But I don't care personally, I just care about what it actually does.

Best example I think I've seen regarding explaining it was comparing it to how consoles have stuff developed directly for their hardware, which is why you can get some pretty good looking/performing games on fairly ancient hardware. So is this going to allow people with lower end systems to run stuff like BF4 pretty well or what?
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#2ATARIJAWAPosted 12/4/2013 6:38:47 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
I get the general idea of it...it essentially lets the CPU, GPU, and game talk to each other more efficiently without all of the middle man crap that DirectX has to deal with. But what about performance? All I've read and seen is talk about all of the arcane nerd ****, which is fine if you're into that stuff. But I don't care personally, I just care about what it actually does.

Best example I think I've seen regarding explaining it was comparing it to how consoles have stuff developed directly for their hardware, which is why you can get some pretty good looking/performing games on fairly ancient hardware. So is this going to allow people with lower end systems to run stuff like BF4 pretty well or what?

A little. It can be up to 20% a bump in performance theoretically. Who knows how well it will work in practice.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 105
#3therickmu25Posted 12/4/2013 6:42:31 AM
It basically equals the performance boost you would get in game from say an Nvidia driver update.
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#4godplaysSNESPosted 12/4/2013 6:56:34 AM
Techreport has a good article on Mantle
http://techreport.com/review/25683/delving-deeper-into-amd-mantle-api

Oxide's demo was shown on a FX 8350 at 2 ghz, together with a 290x, without getting lower framerates.

This article from 2011 gives a good view on DX11's overhead
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#5PhilOnDezPosted 12/4/2013 6:59:12 AM
therickmu25 posted...
It basically equals the performance boost you would get in game from say an Nvidia driver update.

Nvidia driver updates won't help a CPU bottleneck though which is what Mantle's most interesting feature is to me, provided it actually works out like they claim.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6EternalFlame66Posted 12/4/2013 7:01:27 AM
oh sweeeeeeet CPU optimization !!!!!

<3 AMD
---
Such is your fate.
#7EternalFlame66Posted 12/4/2013 7:01:28 AM
oh sweeeeeeet CPU optimization !!!!!

<3 AMD
---
Such is your fate.
#8KabtheMentat(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2013 8:10:31 AM
So, if I'm reading some of this right, theoretically you should be able to get further mileage out of your CPU and the GPU in turn becomes much more important regarding your game's performance, even in CPU heavy games such as BF4 or typical console ports. The CPU ceases to be a bottleneck, or becomes a much less of one.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#9_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/4/2013 10:09:00 AM
it is all just speculation. Some people seem to expect something like a 20% performance boost. I really doubt that.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#10godplaysSNESPosted 12/4/2013 10:19:38 AM
_GRIM_FANDANGO_ posted...
it is all just speculation. Some people seem to expect something like a 20% performance boost. I really doubt that.

Why the doubt? That's in line what new DirectX versions have given us
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!