This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

need help. my pc won't boot after i installed my new graphics card.

#1mikehawk056Posted 12/4/2013 2:23:31 PM
I'm not really good at explaining but I'll try my best. and i apologize in advance for my English.

here is my pc: http://tiny.cc/0d4k7w

i bought a new graphics card which is a Gigabyte radeon r9 280x and a new power supply for my new video card which is a Corsair TX750.

GPU: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8585460
PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7195038

i installed the PSU then the GPU. i wasn't sure if i had to but i plugged both 8 and 6 psi-e pin to the video card. when i turned the pc on everything went on. all of my fans including the GPU one's was working. but nothing happened to my monitor. the computer didn't even boot. then i took it out, put back my old video card in. started my pc and everything went normal. i installed my new video card's driver that came with it. switched video card back to my new one, and same thing as before happened. i tried to plug my monitor to my motherboard video source and nothing came on the screen, even with my old card i couldn't use the motherboard's video source. only when i had no cards in then i would be able to. i then disabled my old card, and the new one didn't work. it did the same as before. i really don't know what to do. i can't test the card on a other pc because my other one doesn't have a psi-e slot.

PS: my monitor is a hp w1907. http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF28a/12142134-12142242-12142244-12142244-12142244-79804086-79804139.html?dnr=2
---
"I don't worship Satan, I just think Satan is really awesome."
#2mikehawk056(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 4:03:40 PM
anyone?
---
#3kelemvorPosted 12/5/2013 7:40:11 PM
Even without the drivers loaded, the computer should still boot up with your new graphics card and display *something*.

If you go into your BIOS setup, I think you can specify whether to use onboard or dedicated graphics. But I believe the computer automatically overrides the onboard video if it detects a dedicated graphics card.

Personally, I think you either got a dead card (it's happened to me before), or didn't install something right.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#4AsellusPosted 12/5/2013 7:45:03 PM
i installed the PSU then the GPU. i wasn't sure if i had to but i plugged both 8 and 6 psi-e pin to the video card.

That is the correct thing to do.

i tried to plug my monitor to my motherboard video source and nothing came on the screen, even with my old card i couldn't use the motherboard's video source. only when i had no cards in then i would be able to.

A lot of motherboards will automatically disable their integrated video when a video card is detected.

i then disabled my old card, and the new one didn't work. it did the same as before. i really don't know what to do. i can't test the card on a other pc because my other one doesn't have a psi-e slot.

Well, if I'm reading this right, you get video with your old video card connected but not the new one? In that case I'd go with "DOA card". It happens.
#5GTL581Posted 12/5/2013 8:31:55 PM
^

Any other computers you could try it in?
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#6mikehawk056(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 6:35:32 AM
In that case I'd go with "DOA card.

i really hoped this wasn't the case, but I'll go at my father's place this weekend and try it on is computer.
---
#7kelemvorPosted 12/6/2013 10:03:20 PM
Let us know what happens. If it doesn't work on his computer at least you're covered under the warranty.
---
Kelemvor Lyonsbane
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 12/7/2013 3:24:30 AM
The Power of RADEOM
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#9RssNGuyPosted 12/7/2013 6:02:58 AM
probably a dead video card. It can't be the power because then it would say something like "plug in power to graphics card" (or something along those lines) if you had it connected properly but didn't have your power plugged in. That's what happened with me when I was building my pc and i didn't put the 6 pin plug in because I was confused. So try exchange.
---
3ds FC - 3153-4124-1013
#10LordSeiferPosted 12/7/2013 6:23:30 AM
hows it supposed to give you a message about not power to gpu if there is no power to the gpu

without a gpu you cannot boot.
---
^ this