This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Baldurs gate, Icewind dale and neverwinter nights, which would you recommend?

#1merqabahPosted 12/4/2013 10:07:03 PM
anyways, im interested to play a good rpg, those series i never played when they came out, and it seems they are interconnected since they seem to revolve around black isle and its succesors.

having loved planescape, and really liking troika, obsidian and bioware.

which series or game do you think is the best storywise? or which has the best overall experience?

thanks btw
---
PSA: Their/there/they're are not the same, nor then/than and should of does not exist it's should have
#2MaKhaosPosted 12/4/2013 10:09:40 PM
I haven't played any of them but from what I hear Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 will be the ones to play. Since you played Planetscape, I assume you'll like them. If you have the time then you could play the other ones as well.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#3The cranky hermitPosted 12/4/2013 10:37:13 PM
I'd say Baldur's Gate followed by Baldur's Gate II is the best experience. BG2 is the better game, but both games are better if you play them in order.

Icewind Dale is a bit spinoffy. It's technically solid, but pretty much focused on dungeon crawling with BG's tactical combat, and without much in the way of plot, NPC's, quests, or anything else that doesn't directly serve the combat.

Neverwinter Nights is disappointing. It feels like most of the effort was spent on making a make-your-own-RPG toolkit, and a singleplayer campaign was tacked on at the last minute more to show off what the toolkit can do than to be excellent by its own right.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#4TheWhoFanPosted 12/4/2013 10:39:51 PM
Baldur's Gate I and II are probably the best overall, though they use a very (very) old D&D ruleset, which may be hard to go back to if you're used to the newer rulesets. The same goes for Icewind Dale I and II. I haven't played it, but I've heard relatively good things about NWN2, and especially good about Mask of the Betrayer, the first expansion.

I would suggest you play them all, as they are pretty cheap on GOG, but do so in order, from oldest to newest, because you will dislike the older games if you get used to the newer gameplay. If you want a hassle-free experience, get the Enhanced Editions of BG1/2 on Beamdog's website or Steam.

MaKhaos posted...
I haven't played any of them but from what I hear Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights 2 will be the ones to play. Since you played Planetscape, I assume you'll like them. If you have the time then you could play the other ones as well.

Planescape. Planetscape is an altogether different game.
---
"On a technical level, PC obviously. But because PC and Xbox have no games, PS3 wins." - ScreamingMidget
They don't even try anymore.
#5Omnipotent_CowPosted 12/4/2013 10:51:06 PM
Start with BGI. That will be a litmus test. If you can't stand it try NWN, a more modern and easier to get into game (although lacking in story and other elements.) Only play IWD if you really like the BG series, not that they're bad, but they are hardcore.
#6GynthaeresPosted 12/4/2013 11:09:16 PM(edited)
1. Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. BG1 is kinda poor on its own; it's aged really badly. If you play it, I suggest you get the Enhanced Edition, or you go through the process of modding it, with something like the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod. I also strongly recommend the BG NPC Project mod for BG1, as it breathes a ton of life into the NPCs, by giving them a bunch of banters, interjections, and quests. Basically kinda like the NPCs in BG2.

2. Neverwinter Nights 2. I'd call it the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, and everything I wanted NWN1 to be. It does start a bit slow, but definitely picks up later. Its expansion (Mask of the Betrayer) is considered one of the best RPGs of all time.

3. Icewind Dale. I haven't played 2 yet, but I assume it's about the same as 1. They're in the BG engine (aka Infinity Engine), but are much more combat focused, without much story or focus on dialogue. They're pretty much entirely dungeon crawlers. Still fun though. If you enjoyed BG's combat, definitely play these. If you hated it, you can skip them.
Also, unique to the rest of the games, with these you make your entire party from scratch, rather than a single character. I know that appeals to some people.

4. Neverwinter Nights 1. IMO, the worst game Bioware has made. Yes, worse than DA2. It's got more in common with Diablo than it does with Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment. It's just a dungeon crawler, with the D&D ruleset, and a forgettable story / setting / characters. You're also solo for most of the game (or perhaps with a single "henchman"), so it doesn't even have the fun party-based combat to save it.
The thing everyone liked about NWN was the modding tools. Apparently there are some really great user-created modules out there. The original campaign though? Bad.
The expansions for NWN are marginally better, but not enough to save my opinion on the game.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#7The cranky hermitPosted 12/4/2013 11:14:26 PM
BG1 is kinda poor on its own; it's aged really badly.

BG1 is excellent on its own, few games have such a well realized world and plot to this day, and there's no such thing as a game that aged badly - it's something that complacent gamers say to rationalize their inability to cope with dated aspects (such as BG1's graphics and interface).

And the Enhanced Edition also needs mods, just to be worthy of playing. At the minimum, you need the original FMV mod.
---
#8SteamsterPosted 12/4/2013 11:19:06 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
there's no such thing as a game that aged badly - it's something that complacent gamers say to rationalize their inability to cope with dated aspects (such as BG1's graphics and interface).

No offense, but this is just stupid.

It's cool if you don't like the semantics, but some games definitely do age badly. It's a basic fact that refinement of a media makes the older stuff seem more rough around the edges. Just go look at Golden Eye. If you have any semblance of experience with modern FPS, especially multiplayer, then Golden Eye is going to handle like s***. It's not something inherently negative about a game, it's just a simple observation.
#9dekouPosted 12/4/2013 11:20:10 PM
1) BG2
2) NWN2
3) BG1
4) NWN1, with expansions
5) IWD 1&2
6) NWN1, without expansions

I don't think you need to play BG1 before BG2. If you've got a lot of time, you could play both, but BG1 hasn't aged well and isn't essential to BG2's story. NWN1 has a horrible original campaign, but its expansions are quite decent and it has some great user-created content.

NWN2 is just a solid game, now that it's patched and can be maxed easily. Storm of Zehir and Mask of the Betrayer are both great in their own ways, although Zehir is pretty experimental and is not great as a story-focused experience.
#10The cranky hermitPosted 12/4/2013 11:24:30 PM
GoldenEye *is* rough around the edges. So is Baldur's Gate in some ways. These were apparent even when they were new, though perhaps less so for Goldeneye if you weren't familiar with contemporary PC shooters.

They did not age badly. At worst, they are dated. These are not the same thing, because...

It's not something inherently negative about a game

Anything with the adverb badly implies inherent negativity. Duh.
---