This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I just experiencing a dry-spell where it's hard to enjoy games?

#1KendrickPosted 12/4/2013 11:56:07 PM
Looking for games the world over. Non-P2P.

Played through Mark of the Ninja. Awesome while it lasted, but kind of short-lived.

X-Rebirth is finally fixed to be playable past the Energy Cell mission. Not very into it. I dumped 700+ hours into X3TC by comparison.

I don't have any particular preferences. Nostalgia points towards classic-style games, but at one time or another, I've enjoyed just about every type of game. Decent amount of time was put into D3 from launch until late-2012. Skyrim was kind of the same. Sometime early this year, I went back to D2 and played until I worked my way up to defeating the ubers again and abruptly quit.

I feel like nothing is very appealing. Can you relate, or do you have any suggestions?

I got Rosetta Stone for Mandarin. Am thinking of doing that, but I'll have to dig up a microphone and am not confident it'll work for me very well.

Just kind of all over the place in terms of books, movies, games, etc. Nothing works! I still hope a PC game can grip me. I wish Starcraft 1 was still active online, so I could play some co-op Sunken Defense and other co-op user-maps. Historically, I get really pissed off when I play vs. games with people online, like fighting games or traditional RTS, so I instinctively avoid that. Maybe it would liven things up though, I don't know.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/Shin00bi/asm_50.jpg
Sent from my E.C. Metagalactic Space Cruiser's control bridge, via OdinFAQs 1.13
#2MaKhaosPosted 12/4/2013 11:57:35 PM
Take a break and play Katawa Shoujo.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#3CommonJoePosted 12/5/2013 12:02:13 AM
I find its better to gravitate towards games that match up with whatever interests you outside of gaming.

For instance, i've been playing Kerbal Space Program recently, and this is because I've been developing a large interest in NASA (which is about time considering I work about 5 minutes away from Kennedy Space Center) and so being able to actually send rockets to space and do the kinds of things that NASA does in a fun game environment has proven to be ridiculously entertaining.

Say for instance you find yourself watching the Pirates of the Carribean movies and you really get into the whole pirate bit. Then you could go play AC4: Black Flag, and the synch would prove the most enjoyable.

But say you've been watching say, Star Trek. Then at that point you'd probably find it hard to get into that mindset and then jump into a game like Need for Speed for instance. In that case, you'd want something like Mass Effect.
---
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2. Lets revitalize this game eh?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FUge6ghaIo&hd=1
#4Kendrick(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 12:07:00 AM
MaKhaos posted...
Take a break and play Katawa Shoujo.

It couldn't hurt to try I guess!

@CommonJoe

I see what you mean. I historically really enjoy space Sci-Fi. Which is why I played X3TC so thoroughly and read all the Ender's Books, all of Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet books, etc. Currently forcing myself to finish up Song of Ice and Fire; on the last book. Not very fun.

But it's not doing it for me at the moment. Not sure what subject matter will eventually pique my interest next. But I'll keep in mind that whatever it is, it can all apply to all mediums, books, games, movies, etc.
---
Sent from my E.C. Metagalactic Space Cruiser's control bridge, via OdinFAQs 1.13
#5KabtheMentatPosted 12/5/2013 12:08:36 AM
CommonJoe posted...
I find its better to gravitate towards games that match up with whatever interests you outside of gaming.

For instance, i've been playing Kerbal Space Program recently, and this is because I've been developing a large interest in NASA (which is about time considering I work about 5 minutes away from Kennedy Space Center) and so being able to actually send rockets to space and do the kinds of things that NASA does in a fun game environment has proven to be ridiculously entertaining.

Say for instance you find yourself watching the Pirates of the Carribean movies and you really get into the whole pirate bit. Then you could go play AC4: Black Flag, and the synch would prove the most enjoyable.

But say you've been watching say, Star Trek. Then at that point you'd probably find it hard to get into that mindset and then jump into a game like Need for Speed for instance. In that case, you'd want something like Mass Effect.

Man, you picked the wrong time to start being into NASA. 10-20 years ago...way better.

BTW, I live in Orlando and Kennedy Space Center is pretty rad. Been there several times.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
Skillz Ferguson
#6Kendrick(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 12:14:12 AM
Even if NASA isn't happening, there's still tons of interest in space programs around the world, whether through Corporations or Governments. Never stop pursuing the dream!
---
#7PaukenPosted 12/5/2013 12:36:43 AM
This'll sound crazy, but try switching from PC gaming to Nintendo first party titles for a short while.

I was feeling kinda meh about gaming as well, but then I dug out my 3DS and bought a copy of Pokemon Black 1 and White 2, and proceeded to spend the next 2-3 weeks clearing both games. Now I'm currently playing through Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky and am loving it.

When I finally get bored of that, I'll probably go play some PC titles. It's refreshing to play through Nintendo's games after being a member of the PC Gaming Party for so long.

I wouldn't go and buy a a Wii u though, Super Mario 3D World is not worth blowing 300 bucks for. Especially considering that older 3D Mario games are much better.
#8_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/5/2013 5:09:31 AM
What I found is that whenever you feel like that, it helps to change it up. Play a genre you would not usually play, and see how you like it. You might be surprised. It happens to me with single player games, most multiplayer games remain fun for me.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#9dekouPosted 12/5/2013 6:27:22 AM
You could play something unusual. Examples:

Antichamber
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Dark Souls
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Mirror's Edge

Just looking at the popular AAA titles can be a bit depressing, because it's mostly the same crap you've seen a thousand times. Going beyond that helps a lot.
#10SlaynPosted 12/5/2013 6:27:48 AM
I felt the same, I have so many games on Steam, I just couldn't get engrossed in any of them. I recommend just going with something completely different. You know what I did? Bought a 3DS. Haven't played much on my PC in the past few months, few LoL games here and there. Mostly playing Fire Emblem, Pokemon, old and new Zeldas.
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505