This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I just experiencing a dry-spell where it's hard to enjoy games?

#21GTL581Posted 12/5/2013 12:43:19 PM
Something like a mindless platformer might work. Whenever i get that way i fire up super meat boy and find that it does the trick. It requires little thought, but extremely precise timing and reflexes and allows you to get involved without actually investing THAT much in the game. Plus the payoff for beating a particularly difficult level is beyond satisfying. Going outside of your comfort zone, like others have suggested, is your best bet. Playing games that require you to think differently or play differently than you normally would are quite refreshing sometimes.
---
3DS FC: 0834-1778-4100
pm me for an add
#22BogePosted 12/5/2013 12:46:16 PM
Kendrick, I'm in the same boat. I think a lot of it is due to age. I think another bit is due to the types of games. When I was younger, Japanese games were the big ones. They had more fun and character to their games whereas Western games tend to be more realistic which is pretty bland to me. I find myself really desiring some Mario after playing Bethesda games. I really need more color and FUN. PC games just don't give much of that.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#23bigbadharryPosted 12/5/2013 1:29:10 PM
I think most games suck these days... I liked that Mark of the Ninja and Mirror's Edge got repped in this topic. I like how most Console babbys couldn't handle the combat in Mirrors Edge, I thought it was awesome I never had a fight I couldn't handle.

I thought I was just an old fart who didn't like games but then I heard 20 year old youngsters at work saying how they thought most modern day games suck.

I can't stand:

Asscreed games (I thought 1 of them was enough for me to never ever want to play another one again)
farcry3
crysis 2
bioshock games
mass effect 3
CODs
Borderlands games
anything that is annualized
etc

They make me physically sick if this it what games are going to be like in the future you can count me out. Everything else is fine I guess but these games are like 1/10 games to me I don't even know how anyone can like them. HL1 walks and ***** all over these games, it isn't even close. Let games be games keep your lab rat simulators to yourself, HL1 didn't need to keep feeding me little pellets and patting me on the back to play, it was just fun to play it was an experience.
#24sonicteam2k1Posted 12/5/2013 1:50:34 PM
I am having an absolute blast with DmC atm. I really don't understand the hate. And I've played and finished them all except for DMC2...
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#25Kendrick(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 4:45:46 PM
Boge posted...
Kendrick, I'm in the same boat. I think a lot of it is due to age. I think another bit is due to the types of games. When I was younger, Japanese games were the big ones. They had more fun and character to their games whereas Western games tend to be more realistic which is pretty bland to me. I find myself really desiring some Mario after playing Bethesda games. I really need more color and FUN. PC games just don't give much of that.

GTL581 posted...
Something like a mindless platformer might work. Whenever i get that way i fire up super meat boy and find that it does the trick. It requires little thought, but extremely precise timing and reflexes and allows you to get involved without actually investing THAT much in the game. Plus the payoff for beating a particularly difficult level is beyond satisfying. Going outside of your comfort zone, like others have suggested, is your best bet. Playing games that require you to think differently or play differently than you normally would are quite refreshing sometimes.

I actually am tempted to play classic-side-scrolling Mario. But I've mostly played the classic ones to death and the newer ones are in-accessible to me, until I get one of the modern handhelds.

Not that these were recommended, but I'll mention them: I tried Braid and found it got annoying. I would figure out a puzzle, but executing it was insane. Like timing it so that you fall and bounce off a bunny and then a furball-thing, before they hit the spikes, etc.

I then tried Spelunky: This is when I really started to miss Mario. I wish games that style themselves after classic Mario would follow some of the rules Mario established. What got me about Spelunky is that EVERYTHING kills you. I am one step down from a skeleton, I kill the skeleton, his skull falls off and kills me. Whatever though, I can see some people liking this.

Anyway, it's nice to know I am not the only one. I actually whitewater kayak in the spring/summer and even got bored with that last year. I've read that video-game players get a lot more desensitized than most.
---
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/Shin00bi/asm_50.jpg
Sent from my E.C. Metagalactic Space Cruiser's control bridge, via OdinFAQs 1.13