This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

do people not like playing arena shooters anymore?

#21AsucaHayashiPosted 12/5/2013 9:46:39 AM
animanganime posted...
With what like 65 million steam users, you would think the mouse and keyboard crowd can save any arena shooter they want. Don't blame this on console guys

there weren't exactly 65m steam users back then when there were like "two" companies whose arena shooters were the most known and most played... epic and ID and everyone knows what happened to them.

consoles and their publishers(*cough*MS*cough*) share a pretty large part of the blame.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#22SkylineLoverR32Posted 12/5/2013 9:48:21 AM
I love and miss those games. I uses to play counterstrike on the xbox all the time. And unreal had a bad phase when they tried going for story in some of those xbox games. But UT3 is great! The new counterstrike is terrible. But i dont see why they dont exist. To me, cod is garbage for many reasons. If i want a military- like shooter, it needs this funny thing called REALISM. I think iv seen bigger maps on counterstrike. And guns like the m60 are pointless. And at least in arena games like unreal and counterstrike, all the guns were useful. And it didnt seem to matter if one person had a gun with a higher rate of fire.
#23ThePCElitistPosted 12/5/2013 9:50:05 AM
SkylineLoverR32 posted...
I love and miss those games. I uses to play counterstrike on the xbox all the time. And unreal had a bad phase when they tried going for story in some of those xbox games. But UT3 is great! The new counterstrike is terrible. But i dont see why they dont exist. To me, cod is garbage for many reasons. If i want a military- like shooter, it needs this funny thing called REALISM. I think iv seen bigger maps on counterstrike. And guns like the m60 are pointless. And at least in arena games like unreal and counterstrike, all the guns were useful. And it didnt seem to matter if one person had a gun with a higher rate of fire.

I know it wasn't a popular game but Half-Life Deathmatch was absolutely amazing and I had so much fun in LAN parties with that game in the early 2000's with friends. The amount of weapons and gadgets you had access to were just awesome. I loved throwing the alien bugs at people from way up in the air and laugh my ass off as I saw people run from them so I could fire rockets at them.
---
When I'm Miqo'te
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3LGf9SSWrU
#24mogexpress1Posted 12/5/2013 9:50:33 AM
tf2 uses same physics and is the evolution of such games

pretty sure that its not dead
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#25DragonlordHaar8Posted 12/5/2013 10:04:35 AM
I actually still play the old half life deathmatch all the time, so much fun with that game, been playing it for over 12 years.
---
TvC friend code- 0947- 3795- 9587
#26cancerstormPosted 12/5/2013 10:08:48 AM
halo
goldeneye 64
ut2004

awwww yesssss good times
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#27atopp399Posted 12/5/2013 10:19:30 AM(edited)
For me it gets to a point where you cannot even peak around a corner and you get your head blown off by some neckbeard who plays 10 hours a day but still uses a sniper rifle. I am mostly speaking of counter strike...

Anyway, when a game or series is fresh everyone is on the same playing field. As time goes on people figure out how to game the system, get insanely good and it just becomes no fun for me.
#28Bigj089Posted 12/5/2013 10:23:10 AM
maybecalls posted...
SleepComa posted...
maybecalls posted...
FaPaThY posted...
maybecalls posted...
Actually there is one arena (sort of) shooter I still play a lot...........M & B Warband. Fair enough it's mostly bows and crossbows, but imo it qualifies and it's a lot of fun.

That's not even close to an arena shooter. Watch and learn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiX9d_j1Xao

That's why I qualified it with 'sort of'. I've played Quake 3 a lot over the years, though. The Dreamcast version was actually the very first online game I ever played, and the first FPS I played with mouse and keyboard. It's fantastic.

Actually no.... it's not even qualified to be 'sort of' wth?

In Warband deathmatch and team deathmatch you fight in an arena, and you shoot people, though. That's enough for me!

That's like saying every game is a role playing game because you play the role of another person or thing.
---
I hate pineapple pizza but I don't boycott pizza shops that offer that abomination.--The Liberator
#29Shin_GallonPosted 12/5/2013 10:37:08 AM
MRN_Marn895 posted...
GTL581 posted...
Cod's success is probably the main culprit to blame for them becoming a fraction of their former popularity, and there are still a few floating around that try to recreate the experience from 10+ years ago; but seriously, why did they go from the top to the bottom so quickly? Is it the developer's fault for abandoning them or is it because of gamers losing interest? It really seems like it has become a niche genre these days whereas back in the late 90s/early 2000s they were dominating.

They are literally unplayable on a console, thats the only reason they are gone.

QFT
#30SetzeraPosted 12/5/2013 10:37:52 AM
Personally, I played Counter-Strike for years, up until about a year after Steam first existed. When 1.6 rolled out, pretty much was the end for me.

I've played COD and lots of other shooters briefly, but nothing really interested me.

That was until I played Battlefield 4. I am absolutely loving the gameplay, such as, if some guy is hiding behind cover, just blow up the cover and him with it. Haven't enjoyed PvP style games in almost a decade, but I enjoy this one.

Hopefully EA stick to their word and patch it, because I don't know anyone who isn't having crashes or weird bugs happen. It's only great when it's working.

As for other games, it's just all the same stuff. Kill, die, spawn, repeat. At least BF lets me hop in a fighter jet and kill myself because I'm awful at flying.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Ultra PSU | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |