This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Been getting BSOD for a long time. I think it's the HDD?

#1Darkman124Posted 12/5/2013 7:40:53 AM
I've had these problems from day 1, unfortunately. It's always random, and often different .sys files.

I tested all my RAM, fine. Tested GPU, fine. Bought and tested second (now primary) GPU, fine. PSU is fine. Mobo is fine.

HDD is what's left--I've gotten notices previously about some corruption on it, so I believe it is that.

I'm installing a SSD tonight (840 evo 250gb) and transferring the operating system files over, along with a better HDD for the majority of the rest of the files (games, etc).

Should I remove the old HDD after, or can I still use it to store stuff like videos and movies?
---
Fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters-- for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
#2flamerthrowaPosted 12/5/2013 7:44:02 AM
"I'm installing a SSD tonight (840 evo 250gb) and transferring the operating system files over, along with a better HDD for the majority of the rest of the files (games, etc)."
everyone will tell you to do a fresh install.... do that
---
http://tinyurl.com/awwpuv7 i recommend this book to everyone on gfaqs. a fantastic novel by VideoboysaysCube
#3MotleyManiacsPosted 12/5/2013 7:46:45 AM
Yeah you need to not transfer windows files over, ESPECIALLY if you are getting corrupt files... Would think that was obvious but.... :-\

Fresh install.
---
/ i5-2500K @ 4.2ghz / MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming / Asus CUII 7870 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz / 128GB Intel SSD / 500GB WD 7200RPM HD
#4UnderwaterAirPosted 12/5/2013 8:43:28 AM
Well, if you've tested everything already and connections are also assumed to be fine then of course it's your harddrive. >_>
#5Darkman124(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 6:49:27 AM(edited)
following the reinstall, the OS still runs extremely slow--in fact, slower than before.

I am assuming this is tied to the drivers not being updated (all drivers were wiped, of course). but it also is a sign that the HDD is weak.

Going to computer managment the old HDD is still listed as healthy. Should I use the samsung drive clone tool, or should I just wipe this HDD completely and do another fresh install to the SSD?

I was going to use the software to handle formatting the disk as well--I wasn't sure if there is anything extra I have to do to format the SSD properly. Is it just like any other HDD--format as simple space, install windows and move on?
---
Fellow creators the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters-- for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.
#6teknic1200Posted 12/6/2013 7:05:17 AM
Darkman124 posted...

I was going to use the software to handle formatting the disk as well--I wasn't sure if there is anything extra I have to do to format the SSD properly. Is it just like any other HDD--format as simple space, install windows and move on?

you should be able to just pop it in and install windows on it. I have one of those same SSDs arriving today. In my test machines at work I can read from these same SSD disks at 500 MB/s!

the SSD jump is simply epic.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#7Darkman124(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 8:48:30 AM
I have been reading things saying I need to unplug all other drives for the win7 install to go to the right directory. Is this true?

The drive cloner does this all for me, but I'd rather not deal with any excess 'old' stuff.

I have 3 hard drives: My old (hitachi) drive, a new WD blue drive, and the samsung SSD.

My plan is to:

1) Not format the SSD.
2) Restart, order computer to boot from CD drive, then SSD, then blank HDD, then HDD with win7 on it now
3) Order win7 to install to SSD, which should auto-format it (and I think set it as C: drive?)
4) Boot up to SSD, update drivers to SSD, download apps with ninite
5) Install Steam to WD Blue HDD.
6) Format Hitachi drive.

Will I have issues with this? Do I need to format the SSD in windows first? I'd rather not go through the process of unplugging other drives unless I have to.
---
#8El MagnificoPosted 12/6/2013 9:14:10 AM
You don't need to unplug any drives. You just need to make sure that the SSD has a higher boot priority than any of the HDDs to make sure that the Windows bootloader is installed to the SSD and not an HDD. I guess people suggest unplugging the other drives because many people have trouble properly arranging the boot priorities causing things to get installed to the wrong drive or end up with unusual drive letter assignments. What you described for your plan sounds fine to me and should install things to the right places.
#9Knight2520Posted 12/6/2013 9:29:07 AM
Darkman124 posted...
5) Install Steam to WD Blue HDD.

You can install Steam itself to your SSD and tell it to install games in a directory on your Blue.
---
can u even count 30 in 1 second? no, u can't. so u can't tell difference between 30fps and 60fps. stupid. -Shinobier-
#10Darkman124(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 10:03:28 AM
El Magnifico posted...
You don't need to unplug any drives. You just need to make sure that the SSD has a higher boot priority than any of the HDDs to make sure that the Windows bootloader is installed to the SSD and not an HDD. I guess people suggest unplugging the other drives because many people have trouble properly arranging the boot priorities causing things to get installed to the wrong drive or end up with unusual drive letter assignments. What you described for your plan sounds fine to me and should install things to the right places.

Okay. Good to know. And I don't need to pre-format the SSD, right? Windows does that for me when I install it?
---