This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GTX 770 good for everything?

#21BuburibonPosted 12/5/2013 4:00:19 PM
DerPancake posted...
Buburibon posted...
DerPancake posted...
Buburibon posted...
The only games you won't max are the usual suspects, i.e., BF4, Metro: LL, Tomb Raider (TressFX), Crysis 3, ACIV Black Flag, COD Ghosts, and perhaps a couple other games that do not currently come to mind. For about $350 though, you can't go wrong with it.

770 can max all of those games, maybe not run Metro and Crysis 3 with locked 60fps ( I haven't tried ACIV), but its playable. Ghosts doesn't count because its horribly optimized, I was able to lock Black Ops 2 at 120fps, so there is really no reason Ghosts to be dropping below 60fps other than bad optimization.

770 can run Tomb Raider at locked 60fps with TressFX, not with High Shadow Resoultion or 4x SSAA though.

I believe the TC was talking about achieving an unflinching 60fps while maxed? Meaning at all times? In any case, Ghosts features "advanced PhysX effects" that would better explain the frame rate drops than simply blaming it on "bad optimization." Also, I'm sorry, but a 770 absolutely cannot maintain a "locked" 60fps on Ultimate settings, which uses normal shadows and FXAA. Don't get me wrong, I understand the 770 handles Tomb Raider fairly well, but it is undeniable that there are significant frame rate drops with TressFX enabled, especially during cutscenes, even on more powerful systems.

One more thing. It is important to understand that no single card in existence can truly max all the above games at 1080p. When you start throwing MSAA, soft shadows, etc., into the equation, frame rates will drop below 60, guaranteed.

Even with PhysX off, CoD Ghost has some serious frame rate drops that go as low as 5 fps, so it is bad optimization.

You're right. Drops as low as 5fps are due to poor optimization. Having played it for only 90 minutes or so, I had no idea it was that bad.
---
Steam | PSN | XBL: GVAmson23
3770K @ 4.5Ghz | 16GB 2133Mhz | GTX Titan @ 1136Mhz
#22thegreybear(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 4:08:14 PM
WyzeGye posted...
AMD has tressfx and will have Mantle

Nvidia has Shield and PhysX

That's the only difference?
---
"Basically in the MGS series, a wide angle between a woman's breasts symbolically represents a bear trap... -nervmeister
#23NicodimusPosted 12/5/2013 5:47:19 PM
daemon_dan posted...
lol all your credibility just went out the window in saying your Witcher 2 runs 55 fps at 1440

Not really, but believe what you want. That's the only sub-60fps game I own.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#24GwendalPosted 12/5/2013 5:55:23 PM(edited)
thegreybear posted...
WyzeGye posted...
AMD has tressfx and will have Mantle

Nvidia has Shield and PhysX

That's the only difference?

Pretty much. Historically, Nvidia has had better drivers, but it's a matter of debate if they still do. I also think most current Nvidia cards are quieter and use less power than corresponding AMD cards, if you care about that. From what I've read, it also seems reasonable to say that SLI is quite a bit more reliable than Crossfire.
---
Currently playing:
Crusader Kings 2 (PC), Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
#25AsellusPosted 12/5/2013 6:12:35 PM
And ShadowPlay.

And G-Sync.
#26DerPancakePosted 12/5/2013 6:13:48 PM
Asellus posted...
And ShadowPlay.

And G-Sync.

and Grid.
---
http://i.imgur.com/mng6Lqf.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mxvh3ut - Taylor Swift: Queen of Pop.