This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody have experience with HDMI switches that have multiple outputs?

#1DigitalIncisionPosted 12/5/2013 5:42:44 PM
So I'm building my first gaming rig, and my first homebuilt PC in a loooooooooooooooong time. One thing I'd like to do is be able to easily switch between my monitor and my TV, which will be on either side of my desktop. I see a few devices that offer this, but I'm unsure what's actually good/worth getting. Was hoping somebody here had some experience with them. At this point I really only need the 1x2 but I don't mind a bigger one so long as it has at least two outputs. I also am ... rather cheap.
---
Digi
Board 8 Late Night Crew [LNC]
#2LordSeiferPosted 12/5/2013 5:43:57 PM
your card has two outputs, just hook em both up 1 to each, and then it will give you the ability to dual screen if you want.
---
^ this
#3Pal 080Posted 12/5/2013 5:48:34 PM
Right now I use DVI for my monitor and HDMI for my TV which is next to my monitor, both plugged straight into the GPU. Most (if not all?) modern high end GPU's have an HDMI hookup now, as well as a DVI. As far as I can tell there's really no visual difference between an HDMI and DVI connection so I'd say that's the best option as far as price is concerned, no need to any adapters or additional connectors.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#4DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 5:58:07 PM(edited)
I'm getting the R9 280x for my GPU. Which I understand has both HDMI and DVI. I hadn't even considered that. Is there any kind of quality loss from DVI? Sorry, I've never used DVI at all. My monitor doesn't have speakers and I planned on using a USB DAC + Amp anyway, so DVI to my monitor and HDMI to my TV would probably be great.

So what happens when they're both on? They recognize them as separate screens and can be used as separate screens the same way when I choose to extend my display when I plug my laptop into my HDTV? What about if someone is using the TV while I am using the monitor with the PC, can I choose for the HDMI to to the TV to not be active or will simply switching inputs on the TV to whatever they are using make it not attempt to use it?

EDIT: Oh and is there any reason to get a nicer DVI cable? I buy cheap HDMI cables, only looking for those with low failure rates, because as I understand it HDMI is HDMI and a better cable doesn't mean a better picture. Is that the case for DVI?

EDIT EDIT: And thank you for the answers so far.
---
Digi
#5LordSeiferPosted 12/5/2013 6:13:40 PM(edited)
yeah HDMI is HDMI

also, HDMI is DVI, the signal is functionally identical. the connector is just a different shape and carries sound.
---
^ this
#6DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 6:14:51 PM
sweet. My monitor is DVI-D whatever that means. My card says it has that so I'll just buy one of those cables. Still interested to hear what folks have to say regarding it recognizing them both, not using one, how that is managed, etc. I mean, I don't want to have to always unplug the HDMI to get it to stop trying to recognize the TV, though if switching the input of the TV stops that, that would be awesome.
---
Digi
#7DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 7:07:01 PM
badump
---
Digi
#8LordSeiferPosted 12/5/2013 7:15:56 PM
use the monitor as the primary and youll be fine.
---
^ this
#9nIMr0D888Posted 12/5/2013 7:16:32 PM
The computer will recognize both displays individually and you can choose what you want to go to each screen.

DVI-D is just DVI without the analogue video signal along side the digital one.
---
CAUTION: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE