This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I think steam (and similar sites) are the real reason MMOs are dying.

#1happyscrub1Posted 12/6/2013 6:52:30 AM
People are being exposed to more quanity of games at cheap prices. So we all now have backlogs of games we want to play but haven't played yet where as MMOs are pretty much time consuming and prevent you from playing other games if you are commited to end game stuff.

Hell, SWTOR just realised the starfighter patch but I ended up trying State of Decay during fall sale and got addicted. I also bought Shadowrun Returns and want to try that too. But then I also want the best upgraded ships in SWTOR so I can blow up noobs before they get geared, but I can't do all 3 at the sametime.

I had the same issue with previous major patches. And the thing about me, I'm not a cheap person with video games, so I kept my subs since released but can understand how most people will stop subbing when they come across some great games on these steamsales.
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#2Ch3wyPosted 12/6/2013 6:54:45 AM
There hasn't been a good MMO since the pre-2001 Graal Online. That's the real reason they're dying.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#3Incendia_IntusPosted 12/6/2013 7:02:29 AM(edited)
Good. I hate MMOs.

They haven't been any good since I was a kid, pre-2000.
#4Bikes-Posted 12/6/2013 7:00:46 AM
I agree with Ch3wy, MMOs are destroying themselves. It's a incredibly stagnant genre, and at this point it's hard to get enough content to keep people entertained when compared to older games that people played already and got bored.

Steam does replace the social features though which is nice.
---
FC: 2921-9087-2265
#5happyscrub1(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2013 7:09:08 AM
So yal are agreeing MMOs were at it's peak when graal, a game no one even knows and don't even have a wikipedia page, was something few people played?

smh
---
Never forget.... Building #7
#6Ch3wyPosted 12/6/2013 7:12:14 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
So yal are agreeing MMOs were at it's peak when graal, a game no one even knows and don't even have a wikipedia page, was something few people played?

smh

Graal was basically A Link to the Past online. It was big before Wikipedia existed and then they decided to ruin it by making it pay to play(despite relying of tons of user created content) and making a new dumb version of it.

If you think that A Link to the Past online sounds like a bad game then you probably have a dumb face.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#7btaylorstlPosted 12/6/2013 7:16:33 AM
Personally, the time-sink aspect of MMO's are a big part of why I never got into them, even well before I discovered Steam as a way to get dozens upon dozens of games dirt cheap. The idea of spending that kind of time in one game just never appealed to me; I've always wanted to play more games than devote too much time to any particular one. That's also why I've never gotten into any competitive online multiplayer. I just enjoy spending my gaming time on a wider variety.

The one exception to that rule was the 2-3 years or so that I got ridiculously addicted to Rock Band, but to me that was a little different since it was kind of like an alternative way of listening to music in a more interactive format that happened to be a video game.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11
#8r0ge00Posted 12/6/2013 7:26:00 AM
There is some merit to this. I have a ton of games to play with my friends that I made while playing MMOs. The great thing is, if we get burnt out on one, we just switch to another. If there was an MMO exciting enough to merit playing, I would surely want to try it (and subsequently try to get them to play too). I get my fix now by hopping on LotRO or TSW every once in a while.
#9reincarnator07Posted 12/6/2013 8:20:50 AM
The real reason most MMOs are dying is because we've been playing WoW for the last decade. The last thing we need need even more WoW clones.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#10FeatherwindPosted 12/6/2013 8:49:22 AM
I don't mind WoW clones per se. I don't see why they couldn't be good. The problem with MMOs is that most of them are bad and poorly thought out.
---
pathological