This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thinking of a video card upgrade

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking of a video card upgrade

User Info: Yelsin

Yelsin
3 years ago#1
Its been a good 5 years since I've upgraded my PC, so I was thinking that a small video card upgrade was in order. I don't have enough to upgrade the entire PC, so I will have to choose subject to the limitations of my older PSU and motherboard. Its a 500W PSU and an Abit IP35E (which has a PCIE 1.0 x16 slot and about 10-10.5" of room for a GPU, I think).

Can you guys please recommend something along these lines? I would think most of these cards would fall around the $100 mark? Even if they don't, I wouldn't want to go too far away from that price range.

Thanks!

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#2
The AMD 7770 is pretty good value for money if you don't want to spend much. Which GPU (and CPU) do you currently have installed, though?

EDIT Or maybe even a 7790.

Yelsin
3 years ago#3
Thanks, I'll have a look at them.

I currently have a 9600GT. The processor is an E8400.

User Info: Kokuei05

Kokuei05
3 years ago#4
Around the HD7770 should be the highest you should go because a bottleneck's going to be apparent. You can go HD7850 after rebate for $100 but a lot of that power will not be used even if you crank up all the GPU intended settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u155ncSlkCk

User Info: Jocko

Jocko
3 years ago#5
That 7850 for 100 is sold out so I would recommend this 7770 Ghz Edition for 70 after rebate.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131488&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

The brand Power Color isn't the greatest but it got 4 out of 5 for newegg reviews so I'd say it's worth going for.
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
(message deleted)

User Info: maybecalls

maybecalls
3 years ago#7
DELETED

Noticed it was out of stock.

Yelsin
3 years ago#8
7700 it is, then. Thanks, you guys.

Final question, and I'm sorry if this is a stupid one, but are there any driver/compatibility issues with AMD cards that I need to worry about? I remember certain games having issues with them every now and again.

Yelsin
3 years ago#9
I also noticed that the 7700 is a PCIE 3.0 card, while my motherboards has only a 1.1 slot. Would this be a problem? I've read that these slots are backwards compatible, but I've also read about instances where manufacturers seem to insist on at least a 2.0 slot.

Also, would it require me to update my BIOS? I'm not sure, but I think the last update that was released for my motherboard was in 2011, so I don't know if it would cover it.

Yelsin
3 years ago#10
bump

Really need an answer to the backwards compatibility question
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Thinking of a video card upgrade

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived