This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When did you first start getting "into" computers?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When did you first start getting "into" computers?

User Info: chase1234life

chase1234life
3 years ago#1
What I mean by this is not simply PC gaming (though it is a factor). I mean, really into, as in building/troubleshooting/ coding/etc.

1992/1993 for myself. My father worked at a computer shop at the time, and started teaching me about builds, different OS systems (back when Amiga was a thing, Linux was popping up, Mac PC usage in the home was at it's highest point, DOS was becoming Windows, and CD drives were becoming common place), and even a bit of coding. Occasionally, he'd even take me with him to house calls (when that was a thing as well).

Finally, in 1993, he got an early release of DOOM, which he and I both played, and for my birthday, he bought me the parts for a PC Build, and told me if I could put the computer together, and install the OS, he would give me my own copy of DOOM.

Of course I built it, and got my copy of DOOM; as well as a start in PC tech.
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life

User Info: Xeeh_Bitz

Xeeh_Bitz
3 years ago#2
My father told me he would beat me and break my fingers if I ever touched his TRS 80. I had to wait until he left the house drunk and never came back home.
Steam: Xeeh Bitz | PSN: Xeeh Bitz | XBL: Xeeh You

User Info: daemon_dan

daemon_dan
3 years ago#3
House calls for PC repair are still a thing, but not as commonplace. Just saying
"Frightened by your own smell. Bitterness will run you through."
~In Flames: Bullet Ride

User Info: codyorr

codyorr
3 years ago#4
Early 90s. Doom 2 and Dune 2 were what sold me. I begged until 1996 to get a PC.

User Info: Garquill

Garquill
3 years ago#5
Around 2001, my godfather introduced me to Unreal Tournament, Alien vs. Predator, Deus Ex, Thief, Tomb Raider, and NES & SNES emulation.

In 1995 he gave me 35 NES games and later gave me a GBC and N64. He wasn't a dickbag about platforms like some dickbags these days.

before that all I did on my PC was play the 3 games on hotwheels.com

around 2010 I got into programming to make games
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein

User Info: Ha_D00D

Ha_D00D
3 years ago#6
What can I say? My father raised me on the computer from age 2.
HAF 922 | i5 3570k@4.3ghz | Hyper 212 Evo | P8Z77-V LK | Sapphire 7970 DualX@1150/1600 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws | SeaSonic 620w | Mushkin120GB |AND I PLAY CONSOLES

User Info: MasterDonGero

MasterDonGero
3 years ago#7
Summer 2012.
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom

User Info: TheWayOfTheGun

TheWayOfTheGun
3 years ago#8
Parents are still to this day tech-illiterate but I was lucky now that I think of it.

My peeps had an Apple II till Windows 95 debut and my pops had a custom rig built for us from one of my schoolmates dad and it played all the games I wanted till around 98 when GPU's started getting serious.
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg

User Info: animanganime

animanganime
3 years ago#9
1997, my first 486 computer, and then upgraded to a celeron something to play starcraft and quake 2 and what not. Mind you it's been a long time so things start to blur together
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, 16GB G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS

User Info: chase1234life

chase1234life
3 years ago#10
animanganime posted...
1997, my first 486 computer, and then upgraded to a celeron something to play starcraft and quake 2 and what not. Mind you it's been a long time so things start to blur together

Trust me, it only starts to blur more the longer your at it, and the older you get.

I couldn't tell you a thing about the computers I was building in the early/mid 90s other than that Eggshell white was the only colour they came in.
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. When did you first start getting "into" computers?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived