This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you think devs should indicate what the good and evil choices in RPGs are?

#31BogePosted 12/7/2013 4:43:04 PM
I think it being optional is the best way. It would be great to turn off the notifications and just go with your instincts rather than know that it will affect you negatively or positively. I remember thinking the same thing with SWTOR. I'd rather just not know.

One thing they need to improve on though is giving you a better indication of just how your character is going to reply. I hate that you have an option to say something, then your character responds completely different than you thought they would.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#32Orestes417Posted 12/7/2013 4:46:36 PM
^Bioware style "You're a good friend Gimli" ending up with a "romance" scene where both of you are wearing furry suits and texting across the room with the other "choice" being "**** off Gimli"

I think my favourite example of the choices I actually do like was in TW2 with the Asylum subquest. That one was awesomely dark.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#33xanthan1Posted 12/7/2013 4:48:31 PM
Honestly the game I can think of that had any of your actions actually matter is Alpha Protocol, where how the plot resolves can actually vary a lot based on what you do, when you do it, and how you do it.
#34Orestes417Posted 12/7/2013 4:59:55 PM
Personally, I don't go along with the whole actions in the game should have a direct effect on the ending idea. Some should certainly, but ideally most of it is just fleshing out the character and will have a direct impact throughout the game from then on rather than being a checkmark towards some sort of multiple ending choice.

Hell I'd go as far as to say some games should have zero ending choices through everything else other than how the character(s) choose to conduct themselves as they meet their fate. Mass Effect would've been stronger that way for example.
---
I am the mighty thesaurus! RAWR!
#35DV8ingSourcesPosted 12/7/2013 5:14:24 PM
Orestes417 posted...
Personally, I don't go along with the whole actions in the game should have a direct effect on the ending idea. Some should certainly, but ideally most of it is just fleshing out the character and will have a direct impact throughout the game from then on rather than being a checkmark towards some sort of multiple ending choice.

Hell I'd go as far as to say some games should have zero ending choices through everything else other than how the character(s) choose to conduct themselves as they meet their fate. Mass Effect would've been stronger that way for example.

Agree mostly but not because multiple endings are bad... They just always happen to be shoehorned and weaker because of those choices. I'll take a solid single ending over push 1 of these 3 buttons for different ending... yay. Oh you didn't do this during the game? Well still, try one of these 2 instead.

Ideally the story would have 3 very different endings with different amounts of content behind them. As in the ending starts well before the actual end of the game. Ending 1 would have 20% more game behind it, ending 2, 30% and ending 3 with some other arbitrary amount. Point being that they are completely different and not shoehorned into the last 10 minutes of gameplay.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#36NingishzidaPosted 12/7/2013 5:24:05 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#37Pal 080Posted 12/7/2013 5:28:56 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
I think my favourite example of the choices I actually do like was in TW2 with the Asylum subquest. That one was awesomely dark.

Haha, hell yea! That game has so many twisted choices in it it's great.

No blatant right or wrong answer either, though that game is really about shades of grey anyway. Though even if there is a clear "good" and "bad" choice the difference between the two should be obvious without having to actually go so far as to highlight them.. that's just a poor setup if you need to have that to understand which is good and which is bad.

The Witcher 2 is a game with a good example of alternate endings done right as well. The game actually has two entirely different second and third acts depending on choices made within the first part of the game. You're in the same general geographical location, but experiencing the story from a different perspective and with different characters and quests.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#38NingishzidaPosted 12/7/2013 5:30:14 PM
RPGs that a morally ambiguous:

Deus Ex
Planescape: Torment
Arcanum
NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
Fallout
Fallout 2
KotOR2

RPGs that have black and white morality, ie good/evil, lightside/darkside, paragon/renegade:

Anything by Bioware, which includes the great Baldur's Gate series
#39clowningPosted 12/8/2013 12:16:25 AM
happyscrub1 posted...
clowning posted...
DiviDude posted...

tl;dr - trying to divorce morality from consequences is silly.

Utilitarianism...one of the great failures in practical morality, because ....

Philosophy trolls... just one step away from grammar trolls.

I don't think you know what a "troll" is. Unless, of course, you are using an ad hominem to troll me.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#40Termin8rPosted 12/8/2013 12:53:14 AM
clowning posted...
happyscrub1 posted...
clowning posted...
DiviDude posted...

tl;dr - trying to divorce morality from consequences is silly.

Utilitarianism...one of the great failures in practical morality, because ....

Philosophy trolls... just one step away from grammar trolls.

I don't think you know what a "troll" is. Unless, of course, you are using an ad hominem to troll me.

http://nazr.in/9pE
---
http://i.imgur.com/e6zStfw.gif