This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Instead of a new console, I think I'll invest in a gaming PC.

#1TinyTankXPosted 12/6/2013 11:39:38 PM
I just saw a thread on several websites selling pre-built rigs, and I'm interested in doing that instead of going out to build one.

However, over the course of time as games require more specs, can I just switch out components of those computers and put in new better ones?
---
Apple Loyalist:::::Nintendo 3DS FC: 2337-3328-8395
If the TC doesn't post after the initial start of a topic, they are more than likely trolling.
#2Incendia_IntusPosted 12/6/2013 11:43:29 PM
The GPU will be the main part needing switched out, and it can simply be popped out and a new one inserted.
---
All childish acts of aggression, shall be handled with laughter.
#3Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/6/2013 11:51:00 PM
Did everyone on this board just forget about ecollegepc one day? Seriously
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#4MasterDonGeroPosted 12/6/2013 11:53:02 PM
Yeah, you see, the PC is full. No one else is allowed to build one, 'kay? Thanks for understanding.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#5DarkZV2BetaPosted 12/7/2013 12:39:51 AM
You're going to pay a lot for not a lot going the prebuilt route.
In terms of swapping parts, unless you need to replace the CPU, it's easy. Just unplug and replug. Simple.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
#6TinyTankX(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2013 1:55:23 AM
Well... I guess I could try and build one. I think I'll start in January!
---
Apple Loyalist:::::Nintendo 3DS FC: 2337-3328-8395
If the TC doesn't post after the initial start of a topic, they are more than likely trolling.
#7_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 12/7/2013 4:38:59 AM(edited)
if you are going the prebuilt route at least go for a website/shop that puts together quality components for you. Do not make the mistake many people make and try to get a deal on ebay or something like that, you will just end up being disappointed.

Another thing you can do is build it yourself. I know it sounds daunting to someone who has never considered it, but there is not much more to it than connecting 8-12 parts, that can only be connected in a very specific way. Watch some of the youtube videos (there are a few good ones by newegg I believe) and pretty soon you will have a good idea of what you need to do.

The benefit is not just that it saves you some money, but also that you will know enough about your PC to maintenance and upgrade it (since you already expressed and interest in doing this in the OP).

And yes, you can upgrade pretty much any component based on what you need at that time. For example, in my current PC I have changed the GPU, motherboard, processor and RAM over the years (while keeping the case, PSU, HDD etc.) The most common upgrade that has a direct effect on how well your PC is able to run games is the GPU. It only requires you to connect one or two cables and slide the GPU in the dedicated slot on the motherboard.

---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Kingston 120 GB SSD | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#8teknic1200Posted 12/7/2013 4:42:57 AM
Building is pretty easy, especially if you already have some stuff like a monitor and keyboard. If you have a computer tower laying around you might be able to just empty it out and reuse the case and power supply.

most everything can be upgraded but a CPU upgrade will require a new mother board.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#9sauruschamp1Posted 12/7/2013 5:43:29 AM
the hardest part of building a pc is what parts to get and this board will help you by giving you a list of parts to get just give us a budget and an idea of how good you want it to be (this way we can say if your budget is either way to high or way too low).
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#10Darth_ElusivePosted 12/7/2013 6:33:13 AM
If your technical knowledge is average to high, you may consider building one yourself.

Extensive research is the key to building a system that is stable and fast.

Go to website of PC retailers and mark down the part number of components (especially for mobo, CPU and video card) of their pre build systems that resemble what you want. Then google those part number for review.

Also read the reviews on newegg and component manufacturer forums. Google part numbers of two components together. You might find people post about compatibility issues.

YouTube also has lots of review and plenty of tutorials teaching how to build a PC.
---
Forget about XBOX One. This is my XBOX720: i7 2600 @3.4Ghz | ATI 6850 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | Asus P8P67 LE
Now playing: Yakuza 5, Bioshock Infinite