This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Okay, I need some PC gamer advice regarding PS4/XBONE

#1elitelmoPosted 12/7/2013 3:44:33 PM(edited)
Disclaimer: These are honest concerns I have before building my own PC. If you think this is a troll post then please don't post a reply.

So like many, the console launch to me has been pretty underwhelming.

I understand that this is just the initial launch and that developers eventually pour out games that look and perform much better than launch titles. However, I still feel like these consoles aren't like their predecessors. The current-gen lasting 7+ years would honestly amaze me - considering how quickly technology moves now than before.

I've been a console gamer up until now (I've lived through and purchased almost every generation). I'm having thoughts on wanting to join the AW-YEAH-PC-MASTER-RACE community to fill the void the PS4/Xbone have so far failed to fill.

I usually see these somewhat more-valid cons against the PC. The rest of the arguments (like less exclusives, wtf?) are dumb and irrelevant to me:

1) PC's have better performance at a cost; constant hardware upgrades to be relevant.
2) Games for consoles are optimized; PC's need to be upgraded to fit their requirements.
3) The PC community is non-existent if you don't have friends. Consoles are more social.
4) PC gaming is more a solo thing - If you have friends or guests over at home, it's annoying.
5) You might be able to match the PS4's specs with a PC that costs the same, but again, future games will look crappy because they'll be optimized for the PS4 and not for the PC.
6) Console game controllers destroy PC controllers / Mouse + WASD. (Steam controller? Lol)
7) Console game controllers aren't as good on the PC (wont work on everything, less features)
8) Console exclusives usually get ported to PC's - which are generally horrible ports.

Can you guys help me understand whether each of the above have any validity to them? Those few points are literally the only things holding me back from building my own PC, and keeping me on the fence at the moment. Thanks in advance!
---
Hydreigoon: Are you seriously tipping? The only thing that you should be tipping is your fedora
http://i.imgur.com/fQ2gXik.gif
#2AsellusPosted 12/7/2013 3:57:47 PM
1) PC's have better performance at a cost; constant hardware upgrades to be relevant.

If the last gen was anythning to go by, not really. A core 2 duo with an 8800 (high-end pc at the time the ps3 was released) would continue to play games at better than ps3 levels up to the present (outside of maybe a few dx-11 titles that don't allow for dx10 hardware).

2) Games for consoles are optimized; PC's need to be upgraded to fit their requirements.

See above.

3) The PC community is non-existent if you don't have friends. Consoles are more social.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean.

4) PC gaming is more a solo thing - If you have friends or guests over at home, it's annoying.

How so? Anything you can do with a console you can do with a pc. You might not necessarily want to have your pc in your living room hooked up to your hdtv with wireless keyboard/mouse/controller but it's certainly a thing you can do.

5) You might be able to match the PS4's specs with a PC that costs the same, but again, future games will look crappy because they'll be optimized for the PS4 and not for the PC.

If the last gen is anything to go by, doubtful.

6) Console game controllers destroy PC controllers / Mouse + WASD. (Steam controller? Lol)

Nonsense, you can use console controllers as pc controllers.

7) Console game controllers aren't as good on the PC (wont work on everything, less features)

False. Well, mostly. Controller support's pretty near universal at this point and controllers work just the same on a pc as they do on a console. Not everything supports a controller though including some titles that were on consoles (Bioware seems to be weird like this offering no controller support on the pc versions of Mass Effect or Dragon Age for no fathomable reason).

8) Console exclusives usually get ported to PC's - which are generally horrible ports.

No... nothing specific here but bad ports really aren't that common these days and "ports that are bad to the point of being worse than their console incarnations" you can number on one hand.
#3elitelmo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2013 4:10:16 PM
Asellus posted...

Thanks for the reply. Dismisses a lot of what floats around.
The fact that controller support has gotten much better is a relief. I'm going to be new to gaming on the PC so that was one of my biggest concerns. The whole game-porting thing also puts another worry to rest.

To reply to what you posted:
1) What I meant by constant upgrades to be relevant was playing games at their maximum specs. Console users argue they don't need to worry about upgrading their hardware, but PC users do.

2) By PC community and the social aspect, the argument I see is that the consoles are much more user friendly and allow meeting random people + making friends to be much more of a friendlier and simpler experience (strictly for meeting new people).

3) If what you're saying is true, does that mean hardware upgrades aren't really as frequent as people say they are? (The consensus I see is every 1.5 years or so - mind you, I already have a good monitor and whatnot. This is strictly the PC itself.)
---
Hydreigoon: Are you seriously tipping? The only thing that you should be tipping is your fedora
#4JonWood007Posted 12/7/2013 4:17:10 PM

1) While it's true you have to upgrade more than if you had a console, it's not a major problem. A solid system can last a good 4-5 years. And while it may sound expensive to build, say, 2 PCs per console gen, let's analyze costs.

2 relatively high end gaming PCs: $800-1000 each, so $1600-$2000.

Console: $400
2 cheap PCs per gen (let's face it, most people upgrade their PCs more than one every gen): $400 each, so $800
Online fees: $400

So...about $1600.

Then take into consideration steam sales, cheaper games, and you can come out way ahead on PC. It evens out or is probably cheaper to PC game, depending how many games you buy.

2) Admittedly, we do get a lot of poor console ports on PC. However, since most PCs have more power, it's only a MAJOR problem on older PCs. Not to mention poor optimization for most relevant (less than 4-5 year old) gaming PC is "man, I'm only getting 30 FPS at 1080p!"....never mind the fact that that's what console games end up doing anyway. Like dead rising dipping to 18 FPS? LOL.

3) When I was in college, social gaming involved a bunch of people on laptops playing with each other in the same room. Yes, there's no split screen gaming, but you can play with friends online, or even in the same room if you all bring your comps with you.

4) Refer to answer 3.

5) Yes, if you have a PC on the same level as a console...which is a level of hardware PCs reached 3 years ago and is now a $500 budget build. Most modern PCs above entry level for gaming have a lot more horsepower than the PS4 or Xbox One. Seriously....see the specs in my sig? That's basically what a PS4 is. That build is 3 years old.

6) Depends on the genre. Good luck playing an FPS online with a controller. You can also use controllers with PC.

7) Can't comment on this.

8) While bad ports do happen, not all ports are bad.
---
Desktop: Phenom II X4 965 | 8 GB DDR3 | GTX 580 | 1 TB HDD | W7 | 650W Antec | 1600x900
Laptop: A6 3400m | 4 GB DDR3 | HD 6520g | 500 GB HDD | W7 | 1366x768
#5Pal 080Posted 12/7/2013 4:29:12 PM(edited)
Not really true, if you buy in with a decent gaming rig there wouldn't be any need to upgrade anything at all for probably 6+ years if you were fine with adjusting graphical settings as needed. Though a lot of PC gamers like myself enjoy constantly upgrading if you can afford it.

Only really true of a few select games but nothing in the recent couple years I can think of that has preformed horribly for no particular reason (Cryostasis notwithstanding). Only people who constantly try and play newer games at maximum settings will make claims of terrible optimization, games usually scale well for lower end hardware.

This seems like a weird argument to me, it seems much easier to group up with people on a PC if you don't know people because of forums and many dedicated gaming communities that are easy to reach out to if you're interested.

4) PC gaming is more a solo thing - If you have friends or guests over at home, it's annoying
.Really just comes down to preference, and what kind of setup you have. If you want friends to come over and watch over your shoulder as you sit in the only good chair on a smallish screen... then yea a PC is not gonna have much appeal for a crowd. You can always hook it up to a bigger screen or let them play some and it'll go over a lot better.

This is probably true if you go for a $400 machine, but I wouldn't say it's really a factor until several years down the line. And I mean for $200 more than a PS4 you can get a significantly better PC.

Steam controller looks boss... and other than that anyone who uses a controller on PC now is probably using the exact same one people are using on Xbox or PS3 (I know I am)

First reply pretty much nails this. Most, but not ALL recent games will have built in controller support if it's not something like a simulation or RTS with a million hotkeys and commands.

A console exclusive being ported to PC wouldn't make it an exclusive anymore would it? :) The only real bad port I can think of in the last few years has been Dark Souls, but a fan mod fixed everything wrong and made it the best version so... that's awesome.

To be blunt a PC is going to cost more upfront, but if you're just getting into it then you've got a MASSIVE backlog of games you need to try out, and they'll all be super cheap. Newish games are also cheap thanks to the amazing Steam Sales every 6 months (there's also greenmangaming and gog), so If you've got patience being a PC gamer can really save you a lot of money. You also don't need a TV or cable/satellite or pay extra for online gaming so if that fits your lifestyle you again save huge compared to a console.
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"
#6DawnshadowPosted 12/7/2013 4:20:40 PM
"1) PC's have better performance at a cost; constant hardware upgrades to be relevant."

This isn't true-- you might not be able to max everything forever, but with good base hardware you can keep going for quite a while with no upgrade. My computer cost about $1k and is going on 5 years old (although that cost included a pair of hard drives, among other bells and whistles.) The only parts I've changed are the hard drive and the video card, both of which wore out or broke. (The new video card was a $100 open box model-- not a pricy upgrade.) I've yet to find a game that won't run on what I find to be acceptable graphic settings, although the old video card was showing its age.

"2) Games for consoles are optimized; PC's need to be upgraded to fit their requirements."

That's half-true. It is easier to optimize a game for a console, because you know the exact hardware and there's no heavy OS running in the background. But PC games are usually designed to downgrade elegantly-- even if you can't run it on the best settings, it'll almost always be playable.

"3) The PC community is non-existent if you don't have friends. Consoles are more social."

Depends on the games and where you're looking. Some games have a great community, some are solitary.

"4) PC gaming is more a solo thing - If you have friends or guests over at home, it's annoying."

This can be true-- very few PC games support local multiplayer. (There are a few, but most multiplayer PC games expect everyone to be on their own system.) On the other hand, LAN parties (or just bringing a laptop and picking games that will run on it) are a thing, and some console games don't do local multiplayer anymore either.

"5) You might be able to match the PS4's specs with a PC that costs the same, but again, future games will look crappy because they'll be optimized for the PS4 and not for the PC."

That's not how graphics work. Usually PC graphics can be adjusted to fit your system's specs.

"6) Console game controllers destroy PC controllers / Mouse + WASD. (Steam controller? Lol)
7) Console game controllers aren't as good on the PC (wont work on everything, less features)"

Which form of controls is best depends on the game. In my opinion, it's better to have the option to use mouse and keyboard or controller than to be stuck with the controller.

You can use console game controllers on the PC, and they work with most games. You can use third party utilities to map keyboard and mouse actions to controller actions if you need to, as well.

"8) Console exclusives usually get ported to PC's - which are generally horrible ports."

This is the devs' fault for being lazy, not a fault of the PC; it's possible to make a good port. And this is countered by player patches, modding, and PC exclusives.
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
#7elitelmo(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2013 4:44:22 PM
Awesome replies. These definitely helped a lot.

Now to look for a rig that won't break my wallet to build!
---
#8AsellusPosted 12/7/2013 4:48:44 PM
To reply to what you posted:
1) What I meant by constant upgrades to be relevant was playing games at their maximum specs. Console users argue they don't need to worry about upgrading their hardware, but PC users do.

True, in 3 years your let's say Radeon 7950 might not be running games at max settings anymore. Thing is though it's not like the console versions of those games will be running at equivalent to pc max settings either. The 7950 will continue to provide a better experience.

2) By PC community and the social aspect, the argument I see is that the consoles are much more user friendly and allow meeting random people + making friends to be much more of a friendlier and simpler experience (strictly for meeting new people).

Still at a loss why it would be more difficult on pc than the consoles to do this. Every kind of communication you have available on consoles is also available on pc plus quite a lot that aren't.

3) If what you're saying is true, does that mean hardware upgrades aren't really as frequent as people say they are? (The consensus I see is every 1.5 years or so - mind you, I already have a good monitor and whatnot. This is strictly the PC itself.)

1.5 years? That'd be kind of insane. Try 3-4, which isn't a point where you'd be forced to upgrade but more of a "Point where it gets kind of hard to justify not upgrading your video card". My computer's about five years old now and it still runs most everything maxed with only a newer video card than from when I first got it.
#9LordOfLegaciesPosted 12/7/2013 4:52:52 PM
elitelmo posted...

1. PCs don't require upgrades anywhere near as much as people think. Sure, there's lots of enthusiasts who like to keep up and always have the newest best stuff but that is by no means a necessity or even a standard.

2. There's little tweaks you can make to better optimize a game on PC but you certainly don't need to upgrade to meet their requirements unless you've got an old computer.

3. There are millions that play on PC, and it's easier to communicate if you don't have a mic via instant messaging in game.

4. If by annoying you mean like they're talking while you're gaming, that's what headphones are for. Otherwise it's no different than playing on a console. If you mean a LAN party though, not a lot of games have splitscreen multiplayer anymore, which would make consoles more annoying to set up a LAN party with.

5. PCs don't get any less powerful barring hardware failure/downgrades. If you buy a PC that's more powerful than a console, it's going to be more powerful than that console for the whole generation.

6, 7. Keyboard controls are easy to get used to, usually much more customization with many more options. Console controllers are pretty easy to set up on PC, and you can buy lookalike controllers that are made specifically for the PC.

8. It's true a lot of games are made for consoles and then ported to PC, but they're not anywhere near as bad as the internet would have you believe. There are some pretty terrible ones out there but in general it's not something you really need to worry about. Plus if you're getting into PC gaming, there are a few genres for the PC that either don't work for consoles (RTS games) or have to have their controls altered for consoles because of the limited controller configurations.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#10Pal 080Posted 12/7/2013 5:03:49 PM(edited)
Just another note, whoever is saying you need to upgrade a PC every 1.5 years or so is completely out of their mind!

My PC now is 2.5 years old and it wasn't a top end rig when I built it, merely a good gaming rig, you can probably build something better than it for $600 now. I haven't upgraded anything and it still runs nearly everything at nearly maximum settings (1080p resolution)... basically, much better looking and performing than the console couterparts... the next gen console counterparts, and it's already over 2.5 years old. I didn't even shop for mega deals and bought it in the summer...
---
"If we can hit that bulls-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate"