This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Torment: Tides of Numenera announced to be turn based combat

#31ciraMegaSPosted 12/10/2013 6:07:17 AM
I'll admit that RTwP can be "ok" if the encounter design is decent (Like in Icewind Dale one), but I'm glad to see the return of turn based combat in WRPGs. I'm definitely looking forward to Wasteland2, Divinity: Original, and Torment if they offer nice tactical combat similar to X:com.
---
Black
#32TheOtherGuyXPosted 12/10/2013 7:36:39 AM
It's nice to see we have a Beamdog ad plant on Gamefaqs, one who cites Metacritic of all garbage places as a measure of game quality. Then also sales figures to state a terrible game is better than its originals. We all know how wonderful the popularity = quality logic is. Just gets better and better with this guy.

I think who we have here is 'smudboy' but an even less intelligent version. The very one who was embarrassed in the topic I linked above mister ad plant chose to ignore.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#33dekouPosted 12/10/2013 7:53:39 AM
Fenriswolf posted...
Your comparison fails by completely ignoring the fact that the original PST had real time combat, so basically this game is nothing but an attempt at milking the PST name

Yes, combat has always been the defining part of PS:T. It was so deep and engaging people still praise Torment as the pinnacle of tactical combat in video games.
#34FenriswolfPosted 12/10/2013 8:11:31 AM
TheOtherGuyX posted...
It's nice to see we have a Beamdog ad plant on Gamefaqs, one who cites Metacritic of all garbage places as a measure of game quality. Then also sales figures to state a terrible game is better than its originals. We all know how wonderful the popularity = quality logic is. Just gets better and better with this guy.

I think who we have here is 'smudboy' but an even less intelligent version. The very one who was embarrassed in the topic I linked above mister ad plant chose to ignore.

So you're arguing that Hunted, Bard's Tale HD and Choplifter HD are all excellent games and well regarded with the gaming community? LMAO

And if you're going to think I'm going to waste time registering to a website with 18 pages of people shouting "no you!" to each other, and enlightened comments like this:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rtwp-vs-turn-based-wherein-i-respond-to-smudboys-video-essay-and-develop-suicidal-tendencies.88268/page-3#post-2992389

If you like RtWP you deserve to die

You'd be deluding yourself.

And since you clearly have difficulties distinguishing between facts and opinions, I'd recommend you play this instead:

http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/
---
Hello
#35DarthSchubertPosted 12/10/2013 8:43:47 AM
I think I would have preferred RtwP but I also backed this kickstarter for a reason, and that is that I trust this development team to make a game I want to play. If I wanted to dictate the specifics of how they do that, I shouldn't have backed a kickstarter; I should have bought into the company.

If I trust them enough to make a successor to one of the best games of all time, I'll have to trust they know what they are doing with a combat system. The rationalizations they've given also work; specifically around avoiding "junk" encounters which was the best part of RtwP.

It's also good for the old IE/D&D systems where you might have a foe that you can only hit in one way - say they have protection from weapons +3, and you've only got one +4 weapon. Well there it makes sense not to have to tell 5/6 of your party to wait. So hopefully they also avoid these problems.
---
"Life is like a box of chocolates. Diabetics can't enjoy either."
#36SinisterSlayPosted 12/10/2013 8:52:07 AM
I prefer turn based.
It means you can have complicated, thoughtful gameplay, but still be accessible because even a disabled person with limited mobility can play as long as they can press a button.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#37PraetorXynPosted 12/10/2013 9:07:33 AM
Turn-based can be good and bad.

In most JRPG's it's awful because the game is so pathetically easy you never have to do anything besides attack and heal between battles until you get to a boss.

It is generally much better implemented for WRPG's, but RTwP is fine too; I might actually prefer that since it gets used so rarely nowadays.

Also, arguing that Fallout 3 was better than its predecessors because it sold more is asinine, and is argumentum ad populum at its finest. If Fallout 3 wouldn't have been on consoles its numbers would have been far lower. The rest of the discrepancy can be attributed to the fact that WAY more people game nowadays.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9
#38pothocketPosted 12/10/2013 9:22:42 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
Turn-based can be good and bad.

In most JRPG's it's awful because the game is so pathetically easy you never have to do anything besides attack and heal between battles until you get to a boss.

So true. Turn based is kinda pointless if the player isn't making any choices during the majority of the turns.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#39arleasPosted 12/10/2013 9:24:46 AM(edited)
Furthermore, the problem could have been easily solved by allowing real time and additional pause options so that both parties could be satisfied.

They already said they couldn't do this without changing the game design philosophy.
from that kickstarter page
This solution may sound ideal, but it wouldn’t give anybody what they really want. Area and encounter design needs of the two systems are very different. Designing for both would dilute the quality of the encounters for one or both systems, and most likely require so much time and resources as to impact the rest of the game. In a deep RPG like ours, where combat isn't even the focus, trying to implement two combat systems would lead to an inferior game across the board.

Funny, I see him as more of a GFWL fanboy and I've got him tagged as a steam hater/troll... This is the first topic in recent times I can remember seeing him that wasn't about steam.
---
http://astats.astats.nl/astats/astats_card_76561197969913402.png
http://i.imgur.com/Im803Gk.gif
#40Infini22Posted 12/10/2013 9:31:21 AM
Is there any other combat type ?

I'm extremely happy about this, if you can't tell.