This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Torment: Tides of Numenera announced to be turn based combat

#41clowningPosted 12/10/2013 9:39:30 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Are they trying to sell a game that requires thinking to modern gamers? Are they mad?

Yes, because TB = thinking, and real time = no-thinking. Just like real life, which is in real time, and no thinking is involved. Case in point, your post.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#42mogexpress1Posted 12/10/2013 9:43:58 AM
turn based has more rhythm, pace and flow than real time with pause if its implemented correctly. A lot harder to get right though. But don't really care if it does or not, they should be working 90% of the time on the story
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#43GrabacrLeaderPosted 12/10/2013 10:08:23 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#44Arsene-LupinPosted 12/10/2013 10:10:43 AM
I'm disappointed.

TB combat is too often used as padding in RPGs. Combat should not be the focus of Torment, and a TB system means we'll have to be spending way too much time in combat, comparatively. The greatest strength of RTwP is that it can take as long a or as lilttle time as possible.

I worry Torment will feel like little more than a mod of Wasteland 2.
---
"And you see where that can lead you, into what mistakes and absurdities, when you are dealing with a man like Arsene Lupin."
#45GrabacrLeaderPosted 12/10/2013 10:19:38 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#46pothocketPosted 12/10/2013 10:39:46 AM
clowning posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Are they trying to sell a game that requires thinking to modern gamers? Are they mad?

Yes, because TB = thinking, and real time = no-thinking. Just like real life, which is in real time, and no thinking is involved. Case in point, your post.

Sarcasm, probably not the best way to make your point.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#47CircleOfManiasPosted 12/10/2013 11:43:29 AM(edited)
Arsene-Lupin posted...
I'm disappointed.

TB combat is too often used as padding in RPGs. Combat should not be the focus of Torment, and a TB system means we'll have to be spending way too much time in combat, comparatively. The greatest strength of RTwP is that it can take as long a or as lilttle time as possible.

I worry Torment will feel like little more than a mod of Wasteland 2.

Did you read the update or just the title? Since this is GameFAQs, I'm assuming the latter, for the same reason people just look at the score of a review.

Comment #1: Turn-Based combat can be tedious

If one were to take Planescape: Torment and, changing nothing else, switch to TB combat, the result would be miserable for many. You'd be stopped midstride in every Hive back alley to perform the same boring actions on meaningless thugs and zombies.

This isn’t what we’re going to do.

Turn-based combat certainly can be tedious, but that comes down to encounter design. As we stated during the Kickstarter, Torment will have no trash mobs—those hordes of filler battles that require little thought from the player. That type of gameplay is at odds with our emphasis on the story and character development, so each Crisis in Torment will be hand-crafted. It will have narrative relevance and consequences. We'll iterate on them until each one is a quality encounter and provides the experience we seek for that moment in the game.

If any combat situation in Torment were tedious, it wouldn’t be because it's turn-based. It would be because we failed in our goal. And our Crises aren’t just combat. They contain exploration, dialogue, and time-relevant actions and events that can exist outside of combat, like pursuits, environmental puzzles, and application of special skills. You’re going to have to work throughout the game toward your goals, and the Crisis concept is a primary way that we put your intentions to the test.

We understand the importance to you of combat not being tedious. Emphasis on encounter design is important for any CRPG, but for Torment, the bar will be even higher – we believe that through well designed encounters, and extensive gameplay iteration on them, we’ll be able to address the majority of the concerns expressed by those who favored RTwP.

---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#48arleasPosted 12/10/2013 12:39:41 PM
Did you read the update or just the title?

The best thing about quoting the page they were too lazy to read is that now instead of not clicking the link and not reading the page there, they can easily ignore the text here instead....

What? You expect people to read? On the Internet?
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#49clowningPosted 12/10/2013 2:00:32 PM
pothocket posted...
clowning posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...

Sarcasm, probably not the best way to make your point.

Eh..it was more fun for me, though.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#50SlaynPosted 12/10/2013 2:21:30 PM
So it's going to be like Final Fantasy 7?
---
ZOMG Pokeyman craze! FC: 2036-7659-0505