This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Let us discuss: No Man's Sky and the possibilities of games like this

#1luigi33Posted 12/8/2013 3:54:07 AM
Has there ever been a game that was as 'detailed' as this? And by detailed I mean the ability to explore an entire galaxy but then go into the atmosphere of a planet and planets aren't just plain lifeless biospheres but have ecosystems, animals, ruins, sea exploration etc.?

The possibilities of this game are endless. Ofcourse with a system as detailed as this, how could they possibly add space simulation elements as detailed as the X series or EVE Online?
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
Steam ID: xcyper33
#2AsucaHayashiPosted 12/8/2013 4:16:02 AM
i would assume that PC devs don't have the budget and console devs don't have the hardware to pull this off.

i was kinda disappointed with ME since i thought travelling to distant planets for quests and such actually meant real travel instead of what we got.

"oh hey look, there's earth... it sure would be nice to drop down and see what it's like but nope, guess i'll just READ about it".
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#3dekouPosted 12/8/2013 4:28:30 AM
Generating everything procedurally usually results in a huge world full of nothing of interest.
#4jakisthePosted 12/8/2013 5:51:11 AM
dekou posted...
Generating everything procedurally usually results in a huge world full of nothing of interest.

I wouldn't say all the time. There are plenty of games which have done randomly generated worlds to good effect. Now, in 3D? We'll have to see...
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#5snesmaster40Posted 12/8/2013 5:55:14 AM
This looks amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRpDn5qPp3s
---
Are we not men?
#6Crimson_JesusPosted 12/8/2013 6:00:45 AM
dekou posted...

yeah this is generally the case, i mean No Man's Sky has a team of six people, it's really ambitious to think they can make a game like this actually work
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#7triple sPosted 12/8/2013 8:13:48 AM
To me....it's nothing of interest because I fail to see what would be the actual point of "playing" it.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22
#8AsucaHayashiPosted 12/8/2013 8:25:37 AM
i was generally referring to planned material though.

eg. if i came across earth in a giant space exploration game, i would expect it to be designed with specifics in mind even if there was just a hub city and specific locales or whatever.

basically bioware RPG design but with hundreds of locations with a huge scale within each location.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#9luigi33(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 10:15:09 AM
To the people who say 'Randomly generated' is bad thing: It depends.

If this game has "regions" where resources spawn in much more wealth than others then we can see something like EvE where people fight for control of the most abundant resource spots.
---
Specs: [Intel i5 3570k] [16GB DDR3] [GA-Z77X-UD3H]
[CM Hyper 212+] [GTX 560ti]
Steam ID: xcyper33
#10JKatarnPosted 12/8/2013 3:20:33 PM
An interesting trailer is one thing, an actual working and compelling game is another. While the trailer definitely piqued my interest, I'll reserve judgement until I actually play the completed game.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES