This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is steam so big?

#1Fade2black001Posted 12/8/2013 6:12:40 AM
Does the program in itself need to take up 700MB?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#2snesmaster40Posted 12/8/2013 6:19:29 AM
Without the steamapps folder included, mine is somehow 1.23GB.

From a quick look, Steam caches a lot of data like user data for each game and more. Big picture mode probably takes up some space too.
---
Are we not men?
#3Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 6:22:50 AM
snesmaster40 posted...

From a quick look, Steam caches a lot of data like user data for each game and more. Big picture mode probably takes up some space too.

Hmm wow. That still way too much IMO for a program like this to use. I guess I'm on the low end for space taken up.
---
#4TropicMoon10Posted 12/8/2013 6:26:12 AM
Well, if you can't spare an extra few hundred megabytes then maybe a digital-only game service isn't something you should use.

Not trying to sound like an ass. You just NEED a nice and roomy hard drive for Steam regardless.

snesmaster40 posted...

Yep. It takes up space from the web browser cache too.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#5darthsephyPosted 12/8/2013 6:26:42 AM
my steam -steamapps is less then 400. maybe some games store more data in other folders.
---
---lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo
---ololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
#6Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 6:28:45 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
Well, if you can't spare an extra few hundred megabytes then maybe a digital-only game service isn't something you should use.

Not trying to sound like an ass. You just NEED a nice and roomy hard drive for Steam regardless.

snesmaster40 posted...

Yep. It takes up space from the web browser cache too.

Its not like I cant spare it. Its just that I like to know whats taking up what. I try to be efficient about managing my HDD space.
---
#7Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 6:29:46 AM
darthsephy posted...
my steam -steamapps is less then 400. maybe some games store more data in other folders.

Hmmm You must use steam A LOT less than I do and I rarely use.
---
#8snesmaster40Posted 12/8/2013 6:31:25 AM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
snesmaster40 posted...

Hmm wow. That still way too much IMO for a program like this to use. I guess I'm on the low end for space taken up.

Yeah, this surprised me as the number kept going beyond 700mb.

Just took another look and the largest folder is config which is 500mb. This seems to be the store browser cache and overlay web browser cache. Not sure if it's safe to clean.

Another large folder is userdata at 186mb, but those are mostly screenshots and something else.

I guess I made most of those files appear just from using Steam too much.

Edit:
@TropicMoon10: Ah I had a feel that's what that folder was.
---
Are we not men?
#9TropicMoon10Posted 12/8/2013 6:32:38 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
Its not like I cant spare it. Its just that I like to know whats taking up what. I try to be efficient about managing my HDD space.

A good tip I learned is to copy your steamapps folder and completely uninstall Steam, then reinstall it and put steamapps back where it was. There's no risk and all your games will be safe.

There's definitely some junk that's wasting your space, but I can't say how much you'll save in the end.
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#10Fade2black001(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 6:36:49 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...

A good tip I learned is to copy your steamapps folder and completely uninstall Steam, then reinstall it and put steamapps back where it was. There's no risk and all your games will be safe.

There's definitely some junk that's wasting your space, but I can't say how much you'll save in the end.

I'm not too worried about it. If it was taking up gigs of space minus the app folder then I would really be concerned. Since this is not the case (as of now) it was more a of a curious thing more than anything.

Thanks for the solution. I'll keep that in mind.
---