This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are IPS panels supposed to have good dark colors, particularly black?

#31StarksPosted 12/9/2013 7:59:50 PM
EternalFlame66 posted...
Don't they have really short lifespan?

Nothing the advancement of technology won't eventually fix

But for now, yes

Phones get upgraded often, monitors not so much
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#32Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/9/2013 8:10:33 PM(edited)
EternalFlame66 posted...
Starks posted...
I can't wait for large OLED/AMOLED monitors

Perfect blacks because the pixels aren't on

Don't they have really short lifespan?

Pretty sure that issue has been mostly fixed or at least abated. I think it's why Samsung uses a strange subpixel layout for their OLED displays for phones.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#33StarksPosted 12/9/2013 9:02:00 PM
Yup, Samsung uses PenTile/Pen0rTile instead of RGB subpixels of equal sizes and position

They can't even make a consistent PenTile though

Each phone has different sized blue and green subpixels
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
#34Nightmare2398Posted 12/9/2013 9:31:09 PM
my asus had no backlight bleeding at all, and it had very deep blacks (it was an IPS), on black screens all you could see was black (though it wasn't pitch black like my TV which is an AMVA with a much higher contrast)

my new qnix 27" 1440p ips has very little backlight bleeding, nothing like that at all...

so basically get a return/refund for yours.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: VegetarianEater
"This is very heavy, and this, may I remind you, is on fire." -Moony (Moony and Broon Show)
#35Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/9/2013 9:57:16 PM
Starks posted...
Yup, Samsung uses PenTile/Pen0rTile instead of RGB subpixels of equal sizes and position

They can't even make a consistent PenTile though

Each phone has different sized blue and green subpixels

Because each subpixel has different properties. Blues lose their luminosity the quickest while greens lose it the slowest. I've heard the S4's display doesn't have any visible problems though. Personally I don't even notice any problems on my HTC One S's OLED display.
---
Deth Pen
#36TheOtherGuyXPosted 12/9/2013 10:18:09 PM
OreoBoy206 posted...
Should get a VA panel if you want great blacks but still want potentially good color accuracy.. The Dell S2440L is a good VA monitor if that's what you're looking for (3000:1 static contrast ratio). VA panels do have slightly worse viewing angles than IPS but they are still much much better than TN viewing angles..

Completely agree. While monitor shopping, I went through three brand new IPS panels before returning all of them. From Samsung's newest lineup, to Asus and then Dell. Each suffered from varying degrees of backlight bleed and corner/edge glowing. Just terrible. Concluded that IPS panels blow unless viewing bright, vivid images. How anyone can play games with dark scenery or even watch movies on them is beyond me. Guess people love looking at grey shadows.

I now have the exact panel mentioned, Dell s2440L. It's a ton better than every IPS I've ever used, especially once calibrated. Blacks are actually.... black or quite close to it. No corner bleeding or flashlight behind curtain effect.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#37Bazooka_PenguinPosted 12/9/2013 10:51:00 PM
TheOtherGuyX posted...
OreoBoy206 posted...
Should get a VA panel if you want great blacks but still want potentially good color accuracy.. The Dell S2440L is a good VA monitor if that's what you're looking for (3000:1 static contrast ratio). VA panels do have slightly worse viewing angles than IPS but they are still much much better than TN viewing angles..

Completely agree. While monitor shopping, I went through three brand new IPS panels before returning all of them. From Samsung's newest lineup, to Asus and then Dell. Each suffered from varying degrees of backlight bleed and corner/edge glowing. Just terrible. Concluded that IPS panels blow unless viewing bright, vivid images. How anyone can play games with dark scenery or even watch movies on them is beyond me. Guess people love looking at grey shadows.

I now have the exact panel mentioned, Dell s2440L. It's a ton better than every IPS I've ever used, especially once calibrated. Blacks are actually.... black or quite close to it. No corner bleeding or flashlight behind curtain effect.

How can you stand the reflective glass though? I had it for a little while and couldn't stand the glare. It would literally reflect light from my secondary monitor and my keyboard backlighting. Same with the s2340m.
---
Deth Pen
#38thatfool12GsPosted 12/9/2013 11:29:45 PM
AMOLED, FTW.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#39TheOtherGuyXPosted 12/10/2013 3:56:01 AM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
How can you stand the reflective glass though? I had it for a little while and couldn't stand the glare. It would literally reflect light from my secondary monitor and my keyboard backlighting. Same with the s2340m.

I was worried about that too before purchasing but I have it in a room with only one window that is off to the side. I have neither a second monitor or a backlit keyboard. So I don't have problems with glaring reflections or anything. I suppose glossy panels are all about where you place them and the lighting conditions of your room. I do like the way whites look crisp and clear on it too, especially compared to matte finishes.
---
"The only thing that comes to a sleeping man is dreams."
#40Zachnorn(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2013 5:54:10 PM
My monitor is weird. I looked at it from an extreme angle at a distance when it was booting to Windows (where it has the Windows logo on a pure black screen with "Starting Windows" on the screen) and I saw perfect black with no bleed and no IPS glow. I've seen that screen before when directly facing my monitor and the "black" looks like a very dark gray with severe IPS glow. Why my monitor seems to have better blacks and colors when viewing at certain angles (but not directly facing it), I don't know.

I've been playing with various IPS displays and I can say that I don't see much/any glow on any of them except for my monitor. Not on my Nook HD+, not on my phone, not on my university's monitors (HP ZR22W if I remember correctly). I just don't know if it is something with my particular monitor or if the S2340M is just not very good in general.

I'm probably going to return it, but should I get another S2340M or a different monitor? I'd like something around $150 if so.
---
<D
Sigs are overrated. Seriously.