This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do motherboards affect performance?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do motherboards affect performance?

User Info: CM_Mojica

3 years ago#1
I have a GTX 780 with a i5 2500 processor

I'm looking for a new mobo because my pc turns off after a second ( made a topic about it ).

So if I buy a 50-70 buck mobo, I'm not gonna be running games at like 20fps am I lol?

User Info: EternalFlame66

3 years ago#2
i feel like motherboard is one of the most important parts.

it will affect system stability.
Such is your fate.

User Info: Dragnfyr

3 years ago#3
Usually the main effect a motherboard has is on the overclocking ability of the CPU.
MacBook Pro with Retina Display | 15.4" 2880x1800 | Core i7-3615QM @ 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | GT 650M 1GB GDDR5 | 256GB SSD | OSX 10.9 | Windows 8.1 Pro

User Info: Mogu_Mogu

3 years ago#4
No. Motherboard benchmarking for games has all shown that it's basically either error difference or next to no difference. Most of them, from 50 dollar cheap motherboards to "gaming/enthusiast" 300 dollar boards all play games to within 2-3 fps difference. And that could just be error.

I have yet to see a motherboard that will actually affect gaming performance.

What motherboards do affect is what you can put on them and hence what you can put into your computer and overclocking/stability. Also, slightly, some motherboards have better built-in audio chipset solutions. That's about it.

I mean, you can take it another step past that and get stuff like liquid cooled systems for their south and north bridge/vrms etc but that has never been shown to conclusively increase performance of software though it does seem to help with overclocking which helps when benchmarking software.,3582-26.html
That was the easiest one to find. There are many others if you don't like tomshardware. They all basically say the same thing.
In the chronicles of my life
there is a legend in which I change 'history' into 'herstory'.

User Info: CM_Mojica

3 years ago#5
I'm not really looking into OCing my GPU. Maybe slightly but not anything significant.

Thanks for the input
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Do motherboards affect performance?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived