This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here agree that Shadow Warrior...

#1farigontiPosted 12/8/2013 6:16:55 PM
Is the best SP campaign FPS of 2013?
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#2AlexKidd5000Posted 12/8/2013 6:19:59 PM
Yup.
#3jake-sfPosted 12/8/2013 6:47:43 PM
The game was very average, I'd give it 6/10 if that means anything, but I guess your statement is still true.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#4farigonti(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2013 7:03:16 PM
Word! I get the feeling not enough people played this game from a PCH perspective. Go buy it on sale next time.
---
FC= 3265-4867-8550
#5DiviDudePosted 12/8/2013 7:26:30 PM
jake-sf posted...
The game was very average, I'd give it 6/10 if that means anything, but I guess your statement is still true.

The game doesn't have enough sprites, bowl cuts, or Dishwalla for your tastes I take it?
#6jake-sfPosted 12/8/2013 8:24:48 PM(edited)
DiviDude posted...
jake-sf posted...

The game doesn't have enough sprites, bowl cuts, or Dishwalla for your tastes I take it?

In the slim chance the question was serious -> it was badly paced, overly linear, threw boring "look around" sections that didn't make exploration interesting in the slightest (and just ended up going around empty rooms opening boxes and such for some ammo).

The game had essentially no level design and was a corridor shooter. The enemy designs and the fights in general were not inspired enough and overall, too many of the fights felt exactly the same. Games like Serious Sam were mindless shooters, but had a lot more in terms of level design, how you could approach the situation, and how much variety there were in the environment you fought in, and what the enemies did to the fight. Besides having pretty environments (the game did succeed in being great to look at), they didn't offer enough gameplay variety.

The guns were lacking and overall just disappointing, and ammo was too scarce. But hey, the sword was a lot of fun to use and I liked having a lot of moves for it. Unfortunately, the game did not decide to create any interesting dynamic between those things (the fact that all powers can be used without any real limit does not help).

I also hated the boss fights. What a chore they are on high difficulty levels.

On a non-gameplay related note, the game decided to use the name of Shadow Warrior and simply should not have received the right to so. Its clear by the story and the... "unfitting humor", and the way the game unfolds, they wanted to make their own thing -> heck, the story even gets serious -> why is this Shadow Warrior again? It doesn't -really- bother me, I just don't understand the decision and it makes little sense.

I didn't even like Hard Reset, which these guys made. I just think that their so called "old school" shooters have nothing old school at all.

They get points for not being an iron sight modern shooter stupidity? Yes, absolutely. There's a lot more to good shooters than that, though, and like all others, it ultimately falls so flat exclusively because of level design. Of all the things, that always the worst offender to me. And the most common.

And I should add, if it was to be compared to Painkiller (the closest thing to it), its still inferior by its weapon design. (but I never was in love with Painkiller). They also share its lack of coop. Really, whats the point of having the most mindless shooters not have coop?
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#7DARQ MXPosted 12/8/2013 8:40:42 PM
jake-sf posted...
DiviDude posted...
jake-sf posted...

In the slim chance the question was serious -> it was badly paced, overly linear, threw boring "look around" sections that didn't make exploration interesting in the slightest (and just ended up going around empty rooms opening boxes and such for some ammo).

The game had essentially no level design and was a corridor shooter. The enemy designs and the fights in general were not inspired enough and overall, too many of the fights felt exactly the same. Games like Serious Sam were mindless shooters, but had a lot more in terms of level design, how you could approach the situation, and how much variety there were in the environment you fought in, and what the enemies did to the fight. Besides having pretty environments (the game did succeed in being great to look at), they didn't offer enough gameplay variety.

The guns were lacking and overall just disappointing, and ammo was too scarce. But hey, the sword was a lot of fun to use and I liked having a lot of moves for it. Unfortunately, the game did not decide to create any interesting dynamic between those things (the fact that all powers can be used without any real limit does not help).

I also hated the boss fights. What a chore they are on high difficulty levels.

On a non-gameplay related note, the game decided to use the name of Shadow Warrior and simply should not have received the right to so. Its clear by the story and the... "unfitting humor", and the way the game unfolds, they wanted to make their own thing -> heck, the story even gets serious -> why is this Shadow Warrior again? It doesn't -really- bother me, I just don't understand the decision and it makes little sense.

I didn't even like Hard Reset, which these guys made. I just think that their so called "old school" shooters have nothing old school at all.

They get points for not being an iron sight modern shooter stupidity? Yes, absolutely. There's a lot more to good shooters than that, though, and like all others, it ultimately falls so flat exclusively because of level design. Of all the things, that always the worst offender to me. And the most common.

And I should add, if it was to be compared to Painkiller (the closest thing to it), its still inferior by its weapon design. (but I never was in love with Painkiller). They also share its lack of coop. Really, whats the point of having the most mindless shooters not have coop?

lol you didn't even like hardreset? I stopped reading after that and pretty much made your whole opinion kinda null and void... Remember these is an independent developer. You seem to be looking for AAA+ games out of a $30 dollar game and a small sized dev team.
---
Intel i5 2500k|8GB G.Skill RJaws|VelociRaptor, WD Fals|AsRock z68 Extreme4 G3|Sapphire 2GB 6970 OC'd |Corsair 520W PSU|Corsair 500R, K90, M95|ASUS Designo IPS
#8Crimson_JesusPosted 12/8/2013 9:52:48 PM
nope, Bioshock was better and so was Blood Dragon and Last Light
---
If you believe in Cthulhu and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/AJSadler/Sigs/CrimsonJesus.jpg
#9DiviDudePosted 12/8/2013 9:58:30 PM
jake-sf posted...

I agree with you there; Hard Reset was marketed hard as an old school shooter, but it was really just an unholy hybrid of new school and old school that didn't really do either justice.

(And I was just teasing you about seemingly hating video game released after the 90s)
#10exclusiveburnerPosted 12/8/2013 10:02:58 PM
Crimson_Jesus posted...
nope, Bioshock was better and so was Blood Dragon and Last Light

Opinions...I thought Bioshock was terribly boring. The game felt like a chore. Didn't even finish it...