This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

how do you know which gpu is low range or top notch?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how do you know which gpu is low range or top notch?
2 years ago#11
Ha_D00D posted...
Dawnshadow posted...
Also, as a rule, it's usually not worth it to get the extremely high end cards-- the ones that cost more than a basic computer. Unless you're doing something extremely demanding they're overkill; you can max current games on even a mid-range card. And on the bleeding edge you pay more.

In my opinion, the sweet spot is usually in the $200-$300 range for a heavy gaming system, and around $130-160 for a bargain system (where you aren't concerned with maxing everything.) As long as you avoid the sub-$100 junk cards you'll generally be all right; at the extremely low end your performance per dollar falls sharply.

A mid-range card will not max many current games at acceptable frame rates. Higher profile games at least.

That depends on what you call "acceptable." Do you require your games to run at 100 FPS no matter how heavy the action gets? Or are you happy with anything that's not a slideshow? (I tend to fall on the "not a slideshow" side of that spectrum, personally.)

It also depends on what you call mid-range, as the term is somewhat nebulous. (I put it at the $250-$400 range, personally, with over $400 being the high end and over $800 being the "that video card cost more than my entire computer" part of it.)
---
I have a blog! Warcraft and other gamer musings.
http://oilstainedlibram.wordpress.com/
2 years ago#12
Honestly, it doesn't have to run every game on ultra max. As long as the games look better on PC than on my Xbox one or ps4, I'll be happy. I want something that I can upgrade every three years.
2 years ago#13
Easiest way if you aren't sure, cross reference with synthetic benches:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
2 years ago#14
garcia_jx posted...
Honestly, it doesn't have to run every game on ultra max. As long as the games look better on PC than on my Xbox one or ps4, I'll be happy. I want something that I can upgrade every three years.

If you are planning on upgrading every 3 years, I wouldn't spend more than 200-250 on a GPU.
---
i5-3570K| MAXIMUS V GENE| ASUS DCUII 670| CORSAIR XMS3 8GB| CORSAIR 350D| INTEL 520 180GB| CORSAIR H110i| CORSAIR AX750
2 years ago#15
I for one don't miss the days of cards with the SE or LE label

Whoever thought the Radeon 9800 SE was a good idea should DIAF
---
#otchat ~ https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net/otchat
Mods/Gods 2013
2 years ago#16
Radeon 9500 pro

introducing the new radeon 9550, its 50 better
---
^ this
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. how do you know which gpu is low range or top notch?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived